Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Seems to me at the heart of EVERY PROFESSION there should be INTEGRITY. I know. What a laugh, right? Even so are there any LESS corrupt?

Seems to me at the heart of EVERY PROFESSION there should be INTEGRITY. I know. What a laugh, right? Even so are there any LESS corrupt?

Teachers
Cops
Docs
Lawyers
Accountants
Businesspeople
Politicians
Actors
Writers
Musicians
Singers
Priests
Firefighters
Dress Designers
Etcetera
Etcetera
Etcetera

Which profession is less deceitful devious duplicitous? Why d'ya think so?

Posted - February 22, 2019

Responses

In time's past in America, a man's word was his bond, most people had Integrity. People didn't even need contracts. A handshake was reliable. Today, even if you have a written contract you have little guarantee that those who entered into the contract will even attempt to fulfill it. About half of Americans simply can't be trusted anymore.

I've been observing this trend toward a nation of people who lack integrity for quite some time and it's disturbing, to say the least. Lack of integrity is far-reaching and touches all professions to one degree or another. Some are much worse than others. Which is less deceitful, devious, or duplicitous is hard to nail down because it takes only one person to cause problems for the many. :)
      February 22, 2019 9:57 PM MST

(times past)

No apostrophe. 
      February 22, 2019 10:08 PM MST

Thank you. :)
      February 22, 2019 10:09 PM MST

But like Rosie's, your statement paints huge numbers of people you don't even know with a broad brush. Do you truly have so little faith in people? If so, I feel sorry for you.
      February 22, 2019 10:17 PM MST

Admittedly, I did paint with a broader brush than I usually do. I normally limit my comments to my personal experiences with people. I wrongly projected my experiences into a much larger arena where they had no business being. I appreciate and thank you for pointing that out. No need to feel sorry for me. I'm a big boy and can handle constructive criticism and will take responsibility for my own actions. :) This post was edited by rusureamisure? at February 23, 2019 9:41 AM MST
      February 23, 2019 9:12 AM MST

Thank you for your thoughtful answer ru and Happy Saturday to you. So what do we do to fix it?
      February 23, 2019 1:49 AM MST

I think the best place to begin fixing a problem is to concentrate on and deal with our own first. If done with honesty, integrity, and common sense, perhaps it would, in a positive way influence others around us to take a look at what we have done to change our lives in such a positive manner. We can't force anyone to change. That's something we, as individuals, need to do if we so desire. :)
      February 23, 2019 9:40 AM MST

That works only if you are the problem ru. if the problem resides outside you what do you do? ignore? How does that fix anything?. I understand your point and when it is applicable I totally agree with thee. But if you witness a murder what is it that you have to change about yourse;f? Nothing. What you have to do is talk about the murder and get others to know about it and then bring the murderer to justice right? None of that has anything whatsoever to do with your imperfections. Thank you for your reply and Happy Sunday to thy! :)
      February 24, 2019 3:48 AM MST

Unless you know of specific instances of corruption in any of these industries/professions, please don't demean entire groups of people with vague accusations. Many folks in many fields work very hard and adhere to very high ethical standards. In some professions, one can be kicked out if he or she doesn't do so.

It's actually rather unethical on your part to post things like this that paint people you don't even know with such a broad brush and spread what basically are lies at worst and half-truths at best. Nobody should wish to be seen as the pot calling the kettle black.
      February 22, 2019 10:13 PM MST

This was the major conundrum I faced each and every time I went to college for a new profession.

I would become jaded and disillusioned so heavily, I could not continue on in my career of choice.  I think that is how I started talking to Old School.   He went through that with several jobs after getting out of college.  

School is NOT like the real world no matter how they try and present it to you.  The best schools are the ones that have part of their curriculum an actual job in the field that they can apprentice and see what is really up.

I have had several careers and quit them all because I cannot deal with the corruption in every company.  EVERYONE.  It is so prominent, that I wind up keeping jobs that I know I can survive at (politics) over jobs that have better money, but will give me ulcers each day kissing the butts of people that are making the job WORSE not better because it suits their circumstances and they have the clout and power to act.

That is the cult of the mindless, the people who are not in touch with other people.  And those people, often, run things.  They are overbearing and pushy and they usually are hardworking, but not always.  But they will get in your face and rule your life. 

So, that is what a real job looks like and it has nothing to do with the actual skill.  My heart goes out to anyone who is accused of being lazy simply because they dread work.  Many people would love to go to work if they did not have to do the job with a knot in their stomachs each day.

February 23, 2019 9:28 AM MST

That's funny. My job as a tax accountant and my avocation as a sportswriter have everything to do with actual skills and being in touch with other people - my co-workers and more than 500 clients during tax season. I love going to work and find it energizing, and I don't even mind the long hours I put in from January to April. As for corruption, tax professionals who do the wrong thing often wind up disbarred or in prison.

Sorry that you've had such negative experiences around work and careers.
      February 23, 2019 9:48 AM MST

I'm sorry that has been your experience Sharon. I started out as a secretary and retired as an in-house accountant with trips along the way to Internal Auditor. I always enjoyed work. Sometimes not so much the people I had to work with but once I got into accounting I LOVED my jobs. I looked forward to going to work each day. I'd get there early...stay late..take work home..come in on Saturdays.  So I was very lucky in my work life. I cannot imagine surviving if I dreaded going to work each day. My sympathies to those who face such situations. Thank you for your reply. Yes. Old School has gotten some rotten breaks. I wish there were something I could have done to protect him from the pain of experiencing them. He's my "second son" so you know how moms are.  Also thank you for extending a hand to him when he needed it. I don't think I ever thnked you for that. I am remiss and impolite. Sorry it took so long.
      February 24, 2019 3:52 AM MST

Integrity is a personal choice and does not automatically come attached to any profession.  
      February 24, 2019 6:01 AM MST