Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » How long can you be dead before the brain dies permanently even though you are resuscitated?

How long can you be dead before the brain dies permanently even though you are resuscitated?

If the brain is dead for 4 years but the body lives is there any hope of coming back with a useful brain or is 4 years dead too long?

Posted - March 3, 2019

Responses

You are not dead, you are more like in suspended animation.  

Most people are brain dead after a few days.  But then there are many miracles.  Most people opt to pull the plug on a loved one rather than leave them in this state.  You should read this Rosie, it has a guy who woke after a 19 year coma.  Two, I think.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/healthy-living-pictures/waking-up-famous-coma-survivors.aspx

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 4, 2019 2:49 AM MST
      March 3, 2019 12:19 PM MST

Thank you for your reply Sharon and the link. I appreciate both. Happy Monday! :)
      March 4, 2019 2:49 AM MST

Too much overlap of terms for me to give an intelligent answer since I've never studied or read up on the distinctions of various types of "death."

https://www.bswhealth.com/sitecollectiondocuments/patient-tools/common-questions-about-severe-brain-injury.pdf

March 3, 2019 12:45 PM MST

Thanks for dropping by to say "hi" and for the link. Happy Monday tom. This post was edited by RosieG at March 10, 2019 2:07 PM MDT
      March 4, 2019 2:50 AM MST

Nothing to add - just to say.. I love how your mind works :)
      March 3, 2019 2:31 PM MST

((hugs)) You know ADDB long ago on another internet social site Answerbag I had a pal named Kevin. No matter where I traveled he was always there right beside me going in the exact same direction.  It is so great to have someone who "gets" what's going on with me...whether I am deadly serious about something deadly serious or engaged in a fantasy adventure into the land of WHAT IF. So thanks my friend. It's comforting to have a companion who may not always be "in the mood" to travel with you but goes anyway just to keep you company! I miss having you here daily but I do appreciate that when you can you touch base. A dear friend gave me a fridge magnet that says "Friends are like stars. you may not always see them but you know they are always there". Happy Monday to thee! :)
      March 4, 2019 2:56 AM MST

Kids have been resuscitated after being submerged in freezing rivers under ice for an hour or more Rosie....
    In certain parts of Russia ,to do open hearts bypass surgery ....they cool the persons body down with snow and then they can stop the heart for long enough to carry out the operation without the use of a heart lung machine...They have been doing it there for twenty five years plus and it ps has far less side effects because the white corpuscles don't attack the foringen bodies of the  heart lung machine as the blood flows through it....
    It also effects the thin veins in the patients eyes less...:) 
      March 3, 2019 4:03 PM MST

Your first sentence STUNS me sweetie. Serioiusly. ONE HOUR OR MORE and they survive it and are brought back to being OK? Wow! That seems miraculous to me D. Geez it's so great to have a friend who knows bout things like this.  You often amaze me. Thanks for the info D. I have seen TV shows where they cool a body down or parts of the body to stem the flow of blood or something. But being surmerged in freezing rivers under ice for an hour or more and then surviving it? That seems to me to be the stuff of science fiction. It is simply AWESOME. Happy Monday! :)
      March 4, 2019 3:00 AM MST

The case I read about was in a frozen over River in North America Rosie....I read about it as a child ...I'm pretty sure I've read loads more cases about such events....such as people being revived sometimes hours after being pronounced dead....There has been old people that's woken up in the morgue after doctors have pronounced them dead....
    I belive once a death certificate is signed ,you officially don't exist anymore......I'm not quite sure ,but think you kind of become non existent as far as your country is concerned...

Its no miricle Rosie....it's just a quirk of nature or maybe another of life's extremes.  :) 
      March 4, 2019 2:10 PM MST

Things that occur that I can't figure out do seem like miracles to me D. I KNOW there is always an explanation lurking somewhere. But believing in miracles is kinda comforting. It's like have a Deux ex Machina up your sleeve to pull out when needed. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday to thee! :)
      March 11, 2019 3:08 AM MDT

If it makes you feel better Rosie ,it does no harm...lol
      March 11, 2019 3:47 AM MDT

It does honey! Thank you for your reply  D! :) ((hugs))
      March 11, 2019 3:58 AM MDT

:)
      March 11, 2019 8:13 AM MDT