Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Books and Literature » What non fictional book has had the most influence on you, or has changed how you view things?

What non fictional book has had the most influence on you, or has changed how you view things?

Posted - March 3, 2019

Responses

“Ethics” by Baruch Spinoza.
    The masterwork of a founding father of the Enlightenment.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at March 21, 2019 8:25 PM MDT
      March 3, 2019 2:28 PM MST

I'll give that a spin, thanks Don, did you ever read Leviathan by Hobbes?
      March 4, 2019 6:24 PM MST

Hobbes, no, but I have read John Locke and Machiavelli.
    I have to put him on my reading list, after I get through Dawkins’ The Blind Watchmaker. 
      March 6, 2019 2:47 PM MST

Practical Ethics by Peter Singer

The Road Less Travelled by M Scott Peck

Seeking the Heart of Wisdom by Joseph Goldstein & Jack Kornfield

Non-Violent Communication by Marshall Rosenberg

Tim Flannery's many books explaining the science and issues concerning global warming and the environment.
      March 3, 2019 4:46 PM MST

Thanks Nom de Plume, Seeking the Heart of Wisdom sounds good, I've read The Road Less Travelled, none of the other's though they sound like an interesting and useful read. 
      March 4, 2019 6:29 PM MST

(other's others)

It denotes plurality, not possession.
      March 5, 2019 9:17 PM MST

(non fictional non-fiction)
      March 3, 2019 8:54 PM MST

Sad to see that compulsion getting the better of you Mandy.
      March 4, 2019 6:39 PM MST

Hehe,   She will be very angry with you now and that will take the heat of off me now....thanks...;)D 
      March 5, 2019 9:21 PM MST

Probably 'Music of the Spheres' by Guy Murchie Helped me get interested in sciency stuff when I was a young guy. 
      March 3, 2019 11:26 PM MST

I've found they do this on free pdf download, thanks for that Kittigate, I like to have a book on the go. I'm reading through Jacob Bohmen's Aurora at the moment.
      March 5, 2019 5:18 AM MST

The 'All about' book series written for youngsters in the late 50s. I received a set as a gift when I was 8. They made me a science geek. No images available.
      March 4, 2019 6:57 PM MST

You're right and I've looked through a few search engines.  I'll take a lot in my antique book shop, bought myself a book from 1871 on Egypt last time I was there, so  they may stock some of the series.  I remember the first time I went into an antique book shop and saw all my childhood books there, made me feel old, still they've certainly increased in value. This post was edited by kjames at March 5, 2019 6:57 AM MST
      March 5, 2019 5:11 AM MST

On the Nature and Evolution of Female Sexuality by Mary Jane Sherfey.  Was quite a revelation for me reading it when I was still a teenager. 
      March 5, 2019 6:21 AM MST

Sounds interesting office girl, I have read Simone de Beauvoir The Second Sex, this sounds different having looked on Amazon, as it deals with the woman's orgasm, intriguing, I also like the fact it has one of the oldest statues of Venus found in history on its cover. If you read it as a teenager it may also help my niece, funny because this sort of thing was never spoke about not that long ago, things have certainly changed. This post was edited by kjames at March 7, 2019 5:06 AM MST
      March 6, 2019 9:52 AM MST

People may not have talked much about it but there were a lot of books out in the 1970s and late 60s about human sexuality - from popular and practical manual-type books to more scientific studies. This was as I recall more scientific and speculative but packed a powerful message - that our sexual drive was so strong that in order for male civilization to advance it had to be controlled.  Went into the physiological reasons why we have multiple orgasms which at that time I was just discovering my capabilities.  Very much affirmed my feelings as a woman which I had mostly judged by outward things such as beauty and popularity at which I had always found myself wanting but being able to see myself through my sexuality served to strengthen my feelings as a woman and as an autonomous human being.  Now I would say it was too limited to just our sexuality and did not take into consideration as well our desire for security and our search for self-esteem. But not only at the time helped me understand myself as a woman but gave me something I could esteem in myself which I sorely needed at that time.  I had left home and eventually was living with a man ten years older who gave me this book to read. But was still many years before I felt OK about discussing things like that on the net and only when I saw other women like myself doing that about ten years ago was I emboldened to join them in doing so and being honest and candid about my private life and personal experiences. 
      March 7, 2019 5:30 AM MST

• The Importance of Living by Lin Yu Tang. Strongly recommended by a very dear elderly gentleman several years ago. 
      March 5, 2019 6:29 PM MST

Sounds like a good book having read the reviews, I was bought a book by Antony De Mello, a few years ago, it spoke about using awareness in your life, practiced it for nine years, and yes it was brilliant,  I do find this sort of thing fascinating and useful, thank you.  
      March 6, 2019 10:01 AM MST

Ancient Art of War - Sun Tsu 

This book has been around since 1500BC or thereabout.  It is required reading in a number of Universities and Foreign Services.  I reread it at least once a year.  Small thin book which one cannot get through in a day, too much meat as they say.

The purpose of Peace is to prepare for war, the purpose of war is to prepare for peace...............
      March 6, 2019 6:04 AM MST

It certainly would be interesting to read this, I think my other half would be interested too.  It appears Amazon only have a shortened version, they do have it on pdf download is it Gary Gagliardi's translation?
      March 6, 2019 10:13 AM MST

It certainly would be interesting to read this, I think my other half would be interested too.  It appears Amazon only have a shortened version, they do have it on pdf download is it Gary Gagliardi's translation?
      March 6, 2019 10:13 AM MST

James Clavells translation I have found to be the best
      March 7, 2019 7:06 AM MST

Thank you Archerchef
      March 7, 2019 11:24 AM MST

Education and the Significance of Life. Or anything from Krishnamurti, really.
      March 7, 2019 10:46 AM MST