Active Now

my2cents
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » do you kill bugs or you throw them out of the house ?

do you kill bugs or you throw them out of the house ?

Posted - March 3, 2019

Responses

Depends on the bug.  I gently put all good bugs outside (ladybug, praying mantis, and such).    I squish a bad bugs (earwigs, slugs, and such).  As for spiders...I run from them screaming all the way.  My cats used to eat them, but now they leave them alone so they can laugh at my reaction.
      March 3, 2019 1:57 PM MST

You are such a friendly little puppy....:)D 
      March 3, 2019 4:06 PM MST

I catch spiders and evict them, but I have no qualms in killing gnats or aphids.
      March 3, 2019 1:58 PM MST

Moths, ladybugs, caterpillars, spiders all get removed to the outside.  Anything else will probably suffer a crushing death.
      March 3, 2019 2:08 PM MST

Most are removed if I can catch them. Stink bugs and flys are doomed.
      March 3, 2019 2:12 PM MST

We don't have stink bugs in NYC - at least not where I live.  
      March 3, 2019 4:06 PM MST

I throw them outside on their little insect A**.  hahahahahaha I had to say it, it made me laugh.
    I do place them outside, not throw.  awwwwww, widdle guys, so cute. 
      March 3, 2019 4:01 PM MST

Steel mesh on doors and windows keeps out flies and mozzies.
    Spiders and geckoes take care of ants.
    Sticky traps minimise moths.

March 3, 2019 4:10 PM MST

Flies, gnats ,wasps and bite'y things ar doomed So are moths that dare  eat our/my cloves .....ants two are for the high jump..:) 
      March 3, 2019 4:12 PM MST

I guess I should not go there...I am a bitey thing.
      March 3, 2019 5:44 PM MST

• i usually let them be or put them outside but if i see a silverfish i will MURDER THAT DEMON SPAWN
      March 3, 2019 5:07 PM MST

I make sure they have food and water and a place to sleep. 
      March 3, 2019 7:29 PM MST

I capture and rehabilitate them.
      March 3, 2019 8:40 PM MST

Even the tse- tse fly? 
      March 3, 2019 9:29 PM MST

Flies, mosquitoes, European wasps and cockroaches die. Others I let alone.
      March 3, 2019 8:59 PM MST

I try to be compassionate, but when it is a bug that breeds a lot, like ants, they gotta go.   If it is a lone bug, I'll try and trap and free the little guy.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 3, 2019 9:26 PM MST
      March 3, 2019 9:25 PM MST

I was going to start a SPCB (society for prevention of cruelty to bugs) but I could not find any donors for financial help to get started. Gassing bugs with insecticides should be considered a war crime but anyway I guess that  is one way to get rid of those pesky creatures 'specially BED BUGS.
      March 3, 2019 11:52 PM MST

I mixed a tsp of mint extract with a pint of water and sprayed the entire house. I still had no-see-ums falling from the ceiling and I eventually figured out they come in through the light socket. So I sprayed that thickly and I have no more attacks from overhead. 

I spread coffee grounds around the foundation and that seems to repel ants very nicely. Back in November I insulated the foundation and salted the ground so weeds would not grow into that dirt and make a home for ants. That is the best move I ever made. Heating costs have dropped to one third of the former amount.

Flies don't seem to care what is sprayed or where, so I bought an ultra-violet bug zapper. When I see a fly I turn it on and it eventually collects a half dozen fly carcasses. I mean in one day!
      March 4, 2019 5:33 AM MST

• Depends on the bug. I kill mosquitos, but I try and capture flies and let them out. Spiders are another story.
      March 5, 2019 10:30 AM MST

Luckily we don't get many bugs in the house but when we do, I leave them alone. They make good play toys for the cat/dog.
      March 11, 2019 10:44 AM MDT

It depends what they are. Almost all are harmless to humans, few are pests in the home or garden; in fact there are more that are neutral or beneficial.

I tend to leave spiders alone even if indoors, but release almost anything else including wasps and more particularly bees, unharmed outside.

The only ones I kill are house-flies and bluebottles (disease-carriers to us though they also have a genuine ecological purpose in life); and mosquitoes (whose main role in life is to be food on the wing for birds).  
      August 12, 2019 5:04 PM MDT

• It runs the gamut.  Every thing from the classic flush of a toilet and away they go, to the loud smack of a shoe plummeting down upon them.  I have been known to show mercy occasionally by sending them back out into the wild but its a very arbitrary and prejudicial thing.  Some bugs just need to die.  The others don't pay my rent so they can just get the hell out.
      August 12, 2019 5:22 PM MDT

So basically you just like killing them, irrespective of their guilt or innocence? 
      August 13, 2019 2:31 AM MDT

We have screens on all our windows and doors to keep out the mozzies and flies.
    But nevertheless, indoors, we have a whole ecosystem of critters.
    Ants, moths, silverfish and the various species of spiders that prey on them.

Once in a while, I clear out the spiderwebs before guests arrive.
    They're re-woven in the same places by the next morning.
      August 13, 2019 1:35 PM MDT