Active Now

CosmicWunderkind
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Legal » Why would drug dealers lace their heroin with fentanyl knowing that many of the users might die from OD?

Why would drug dealers lace their heroin with fentanyl knowing that many of the users might die from OD?

That seems counterproductive as they would lose customers.

Posted - March 8, 2019

Responses

Maybe because fentanyl is cheaper so they can add it to the heroin and have more to sell. Cheers and happy weekend
      March 8, 2019 1:40 PM MST

I doubt the amount used would increase the volume muhc. We had some cops make a bust here and one was exposed to fentanyl laced heroin. He had to go to hospital for an OD.
      March 8, 2019 1:44 PM MST

A point of heroin costs  $20. here, 10 points to a gram so you reduce the amount of heroin and add a few molecules of fentanyl then cut it with something -even cigarette ash and make tons of money. Our safe injection sites here have saved lives and recently have a program where users can get free heroin injections if they prefer rather than methadone. 
      March 8, 2019 6:48 PM MST

I heard about that on the news. We could use that concept down here, but the DEA would have to lay off thousands of agents.
      March 9, 2019 7:27 AM MST

They can send them elsewhere.  Drugs are rampant.
      March 9, 2019 7:32 AM MST

Hello Element99
    Fentanyl is a synthetic opioid and is cheaper and more available than is heroin. They are both a form of opioids and would produce similar euphoria.
    Add to that, a drug dealer is a criminal and as such consideration for consequence is lacking..the criminal seeks short term gain with thinking about the long term effects..they just don't care.. This post was edited by designer at March 9, 2019 7:28 AM MST
      March 8, 2019 2:00 PM MST

Good answer. Actually I was being just a bit sarcastic. I find it interesting that fentanyl is considered an opioid as the molecular structures aren't even close.

This post was edited by Element 99 at March 9, 2019 7:39 AM MST
      March 9, 2019 7:29 AM MST

• It's action on receptors is typical of opioid.  It's a class of function,not chemical structure.
      March 9, 2019 6:58 PM MST

(Its action)

No apostrophe. 
      March 11, 2019 6:31 AM MDT

Maybe it goes well together, like mashed potatoes with gravy. 
      March 8, 2019 4:51 PM MST

$$$$$$$$$

They don't give a f*ck. And it's probably good for business, because people will perceive their smack as being strong. 

March 8, 2019 8:05 PM MST

I almost answered this seriously earlier today. That said, the way this world is going, losing one is nothing. That person will soon be replaced with 2-3 more. 
      March 8, 2019 9:32 PM MST

I have no idea.  Perhaps people will pay more for it that way. 
      March 8, 2019 11:59 PM MST

It must do something to keep the buzz going for a lot of people.

Fentanyl is expensive so it cannot be that they are trying to save money.

I think it keeps you awake and maybe they want the buzz to last longer.  Heroin can make you sleep and nod out.

March 9, 2019 7:31 AM MST

I will never know.
      March 9, 2019 7:55 AM MST

• Nope,  Fentanyl actually has a much shorter  action than most other opiates.  It is stronger, but it is a much shorter high and requires more frequent dosing.  Which is another reason it can be more dangerous  for a user in practice.
      March 9, 2019 7:04 PM MST

• That's how the how the dope game works .  Fentanyl is cheaper by weight and is more powerful so it also stretches farther than heroin.   The over doses from hit batches are intentional.  She. It comes to door a few overdoses is good advertisement that your stamp is the best stuff.  When people OD on a stamp the junkies go looking for that product specifically.

If you are thinking dealers are using fentanyl tri cut heroin these days you are wrong.   The dealers have switched from selling heroin to selling fentanyl.  They aren't cutting the heroin with fentanyl,  they are cutting the fentanyl with heroin. 
      March 9, 2019 7:02 PM MST

It might be a regional thing where you are. Heroin is still the thing where I live. That might have more to do with our proximity to Mexico though.
      March 11, 2019 12:19 AM MDT

cause they dont care, i think they should go to jail for doing that
      March 10, 2019 4:46 PM MDT

I would guess there will always be people looking for nothing more than a quick high.  Shows you how much they even care about their customers.  A quick high and a quick buck rather support each other it would seem. 
      March 11, 2019 6:50 AM MDT