Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Do you think bears are gentle in nature ?

Do you think bears are gentle in nature ?

I mean, if i passed by a bear in the wild, would he attack me or let me be ? 

I think they prefer to eat fishes than humans.

Posted - March 13, 2019

Responses

I think it depends how hungry it is. You never know when it last ate, and what it ate. Even if it's not hungry, it may have a cub near by. If it feels you may be a threat, it could easily maul you to death. 
      March 13, 2019 2:09 PM MDT

My sister in Florida sees them periodically near her home. They like to rummage through trash bins. She doesn't go out when they are around, so she has never had a problem. They are pretty much like any other animal...leave them alone and they will leave us alone.
      March 13, 2019 2:13 PM MDT

I am not going to find out.  How's that? 

March 13, 2019 2:13 PM MDT

• It would all depend on the particular bear and his or her situation.  A mom with cubs would be much more aggressive than another female.  If the bear is hungry .. they might be more dangerous.  Some types of bears are more aggressive than others.  Best idea is to remember they're wild animals and very unpredictable.
      March 13, 2019 2:17 PM MDT

It depends on which kind of bear you encounter.  Black bears are the least dangerous in North America but can still hurt you even accidentally because of their strength.  We used to camp in the Smokies a lot and when a bear arrives and is interested that dinner you have on the table, you walk away and let him have it.  We enjoyed the bears but not the skunks. 
      March 13, 2019 2:33 PM MDT

Even Grizzly Adams treated Ben with respect and caution.

Seriously ... the real life John "Grizzly" Adams in 1855 suffered head and neck trauma during a grizzly attack in the Sierra of California. His scalp was dislodged, and he was left with a silver dollar-sized impression in his skull, just above his forehead. Adams had made pets of several grizzlies, and often wrestled with them while training them and in exhibitions. During one such bout, his most delinquent grizzly, General Fremont (named for John C. Fremont), struck Adams in the head and reopened the wound. It was subsequently reinjured several times, eventually leaving Adams' brain tissue exposed.

Even koala bears can be very aggressive.
      March 13, 2019 3:04 PM MDT

Koalas aren't bears.
      March 13, 2019 3:37 PM MDT

shhhhhhh 
      March 14, 2019 7:22 AM MDT

Only if you're watching them from the comfort of your own home. Otherwise, bears will F**K you up and then eat you.
      March 13, 2019 3:10 PM MDT

March 13, 2019 3:39 PM MDT

They seem like pretty shy creatures, but definitely not something you should mess with. Also, like others have said, depending on the type of bear it may be more aggressive.
      March 13, 2019 3:39 PM MDT

No, bears are not gentle creatures. It is folly to underestimate wild animals, or to expect them to behave a certain way. 
      March 13, 2019 4:00 PM MDT

Even if they were gentle this could be a problem:

Bears treat humans just as they would other bears; the problem is that bears are very physical with each other, with the intentional use of bites, swats or body posturing.

https://www.bearsmart.com/about-bears/general-characteristics/

Florida has a large population of black bears, doesn't it?  This post was edited by tom jackson at March 14, 2019 7:23 AM MDT
      March 13, 2019 6:03 PM MDT

I am not aware of the actual numbers, but yes, black bears are known in most every part of our state.
      March 13, 2019 7:19 PM MDT

I think I came across that fact during a search on previous "bear" question.  I don't think there were any numbers posted, but I was surprised to learn how widespread they are in your state.

I tend to associate them with the Northwest states where I grew up.
      March 13, 2019 9:00 PM MDT

it depends on the bear since theyre all different
      March 13, 2019 4:57 PM MDT

I'd probably be dead if I figured bears are gentle. So when I'm in the wild I figure bears are something that could kill me no problem and I do things to cut down on the chances of one crossing my path like keeping an eye out for them and banging a couple of rocks together ever now and then so the bears head off in a different direction. I also always have a Bear Banger (makes a loud bang) and a whistle with me just in case of a close incounter. Cheers! 
      March 13, 2019 6:03 PM MDT

Here are 349,000 counterexamples:
    https://www.google.com/search?tbm=vid&q=bear+chases+bicycle
      March 13, 2019 7:15 PM MDT

How dead do you want to be?  Bears can and will kill you regardless of the species; Black, Brown, Grizzly etc.  Give them a wide berth and the respect they deserve.

Google safety in Bear Country.  Take the information to heart and you just might be alive next year......  Just saying
      March 14, 2019 11:15 AM MDT