Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Music » What might be an appropriate simile for Janis Joplin's singing voice?

What might be an appropriate simile for Janis Joplin's singing voice?

She was just so extraordinary. I've heard her described, unsurprisingly, as "electrifying," which on the one hand is fitting and on the other nowhere near close enough.

Posted - March 15, 2019

Responses

• Joplin's voice is near perfection in her vocal delivery of song.
    She is proof of God's existance, but in respect to your question, I'm not sure what you mean...

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 20, 2019 12:47 PM MDT
      March 15, 2019 3:44 PM MDT

A simile is not too different from a metaphor, except it's a direct comparison, typified by the use of "like" or "as." For example, to paraphrase one YouTube comment: "Janis had a voice like a comet crossing the sky. (She lit up our lives too briefly.)"

I dig your profile pic, haha. Do you call that Barasta?
      March 16, 2019 9:32 AM MDT

• LOL

I've had discussions about that avatar. I firmly believe Obama would have been more popular is he wore dreads. He looks Hot! 
      March 16, 2019 1:54 PM MDT

Agreed
    :)
      March 19, 2019 8:31 PM MDT

Trump Being Cool - pictures
    https://www.freakingnews.com/Trump-Being-Cool-Pictures-145431.asp

M
    y pics won't post and this site won't post. . .just imagine Trump with dreds.  That's what it was.

Oh wait... this is better.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 22, 2019 2:13 PM MDT
      March 20, 2019 12:49 PM MDT

• HAH!!!!!!!!!!
    That looks like a dog took a sh*t on his head! LOL
      March 20, 2019 1:03 PM MDT

And his real hair (real?) looks like a dead horse's tail that some dog sh*t on.
      March 20, 2019 1:07 PM MDT

At age 16 she sounded like an old black lady who is wise beyond her years.   She could be an incarnation.  

No kid could possibly understand soul and blues on the level she portrayed.  Where did she develop such angst and emptiness at such a young age and where did she learn how to express it this way?

One of a kind.  

I love this child.  Check her out.  She is amazing too in her own way.

I'll get the video for ya..... hang on.

Danillo, I hope you did not see this girl yet.  I want to be the person who introduced her to you.   I have watched this video at least 50 times since she performed.  

Check it out.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 19, 2019 8:32 PM MDT
      March 16, 2019 9:38 AM MDT

Wow, that kid is phenomenal! Love to see someone just open up like that in a performance. And you are indeed the one to introduce me to her--for which I'm doubly grateful, because it means I'll be thinking of you whenever I hear her.

As for Janis, I do reckon she had a pretty tough time growing up, picked on as an 'outsider' and due to her looks. But apparently she made a friend who had albums by Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith and Lead Belly.
      March 16, 2019 11:37 AM MDT

I never heard of her until now, too! I love her, too, like you.
    Now if only the audience could have gotten out of her way.  Referring to my comment to Sharonna/TODDLER BABY IN CHIEF in this thread -- one of my few impulsive outbursts that I actually posted.
      March 19, 2019 8:46 PM MDT

Isn't she amazing?  She didn't win the Show either.  LOL  But that is global and there are acts of magic, dance, comedy etc.  So, it is not only singing fans.  But she will go places, that Courtney Hadwin.  

Janis would have had it so much easier had she been born in the 90's instead of the 60's when Nirvana and grunge came on the scene.  Ugly was IN.  She is a legend and being a throwback to a byegone era, she was a legend of a lost time. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 20, 2019 7:22 PM MDT
      March 20, 2019 12:35 PM MDT

In case you mean 'ugly' not just in a figurative or artistic sense, I've actually never found Janis unattractive, despite all the prattle about her looks. Seems like that becomes much more of a (baseless) issue when regarding a young woman.

In some pictures she's effectively pretty; but I guess I rarely think otherwise of a genuine smile, or of full commitment to the moment.
      March 20, 2019 12:42 PM MDT

Me neither.  I think she looks AMAZING.  It was Janis who thought she was UGLY.  She did have a very insecure shy personality.
      March 20, 2019 12:43 PM MDT

what the HELL is wrong with me? -- the audience almost ruins her performance for me.

I'd much prefer to hear and watch her without the damn audience and their canned reactions from them - - this girl is fantastic but the Everyone-Leaping-To-Their-Feet-at-The-Exact-Same-Time? The 1:31 minute mark. I don't buy it. Not at all. And I let them almost ruin her performance for me. I swear - - there had to be a cue card/sign for the audience that said "Leap to your Feet and Scream, Right now, Together"

My comment here - - I'm going to post it anyway -- these are the kind of posts I then worry about posting. To he++ with it though -- this is the reason I can't stand watching most programs that have a live audience.
    Like Danilo_G, I've never heard of her until now.

I love this young singer, though!
      March 19, 2019 8:43 PM MDT

You're right, that 1:31 moment specifically seems staged. I'm not fond of that either, but it's how those things go, and for such a singer I can tolerate it. A bit more irking, to me, is the judges' exclamations during the performance; if they honestly think she's great, they should focus all their attention on listening--it's not like they won't get their say afterward.
      March 20, 2019 5:57 AM MDT

Thanks, Danilo_G.  Yeah, you're right, too, in what you say, about the judges, yeah, hadn't thought of that, too. Those audience things/judge things still all distract me, though.

Off I run again -- I'm late, good to see you
      March 20, 2019 6:04 AM MDT

I guess we could consider the audience members enter into a sort of 'contract:' in exchange for their presence, and whatever pleasure they may derive from it, they agree to comply with any such trickery regardless of how silly or downright stupid it really is.

You too, Welbz!
      March 20, 2019 12:31 PM MDT

You need to see The Monterey Pop Festival when she made her debut.  That was definitely NOT canned.

Welby, I have been saving Courtney Hadwin for you.  I posted a few questions about her before, I guess you missed them.  SHE IS AMAZING.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 20, 2019 7:16 PM MDT
      March 20, 2019 12:41 PM MDT

Hi Sharonna!
    Wait -- this Courtney sang at a Monterey Pop Festival? Or are you referring to Janis? Sorry for my confusion - - long day for me. I may simply be dense in the head at the moment.

Regardless of my extreme comment about Courtney's audience -- I do sincerely believe the audience in the video for Courtney really do enjoy and like her - - it's just that simultaneous roaring and standing ovation - strikes me as false. I'd rather those shows would just let the audience react as they wish.

Yeah, I totally missed any questions about Courtney you may have posted. Sorry for missing them but I'm glad I caught her here! You are right -- she is amazing!
      March 20, 2019 7:21 PM MDT

haaaaaaaaaaaaa

NO NO 

I thought you were talking about Janis and then I watched her vid and I realized I was off the beaten track.

NO.  Courtney's audience is current.  I just love her.  And the reaction to her performance is all over YOUTUBE and everyone from old to young black to white to asian loves her.  I expected some people to really hate this, but no.  She is a super star. 
      March 25, 2019 1:24 PM MDT

Ha! Thanks for helping me out there!
    Yeah, my original 'audience complaint' comment was about the audience for Courtney.

I agree with you, though - - this Courtney is simply amazing. And I've only seen her in this short clip here. Great stuff she has!
      March 25, 2019 7:22 PM MDT

March 20, 2019 12:44 PM MDT

Yes!! I have heard this before, I think. And have not seen it though. No offense to Janis but that guitar player is hot to me, ha! The 0:25 seconds mark.) 

I love her singing. (there I go overusing that word again, ha!)

Whoa - - The 3:30-seconds mark -- is that Cass Elliot?! The Mamas and The Papas sang at that same festival, I think? I have been listening and eating an apple and not watching closely the video.

The ending of her performance -- yeah, that audience did not bug me in the least at any point.
    And, that has to be Cass -- her reaction at the end is wonderful to watch.
      March 22, 2019 6:29 AM MDT

What a strange question.  Her voice was like a celebratory telegram crying for help.  Very forced and unnatural.  She wanted to sound like black singers which she achieved partly through forcing and partly through the negative effects of drugs and drink on her health.  Tragic. This post was edited by officegirl at March 20, 2019 7:55 PM MDT
      March 20, 2019 6:10 AM MDT