Discussion » Questions » Entertainment » Should SNL be tested by courts?

Should SNL be tested by courts?

Published 4 hours ago

Donald Trump slams 'SNL' after rerun episode, floats the idea of an FCC investigation into the show

Donald Trump tweets NBC, ‘SNL’ should be tested by courts

President Donald Trump tweets NBC, ‘SNL; should be tested by courts. This comes after the shows Christmas parody sketch, which depicts a world where Hillary Clinton was elected president.

Donald Trump is taking his dislike for “Saturday Night Live” and its coverage of his administration to new heights with a fiery tweet that followed a rerun of the NBC sketch show over the weekend.

On Sunday, the president made his distaste for the political satire of “SNL” public once again by tweeting a scathing rebuke of its “one sided media coverage.” In addition to lambasting the comedy series, he touched on what he perceives as unfairness in terms of its coverage of politics while also floating the idea that the comedy is colluding with Democrats to make him look bad and is eligible for an investigation by the FCC.

'SNL' SKETCH ASKS WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF DONALD TRUMP WAS BLACK

“It’s truly incredible that shows like Saturday Night Live, not funny/no talent, can spend all of their time knocking the same person (me), over & over, without so much of a mention of “the other side.” Like an advertisement without consequences. Same with Late Night Shows,” he tweeted Sunday.

Trump continued in a follow-up tweet: “Should Federal Election Commission and/or FCC look into this? There must be Collusion with the Democrats and, of course, Russia! Such one sided media coverage, most of it Fake News. Hard to believe I won and am winning. Approval Rating 52%, 93% with Republicans. Sorry!  #MAGA.”

The episode that Trump was seemingly reacting to was a rerun of a Christmas-themed episode from Dec. 15 which featured a sketch in which Alec Baldwin, reprising his role as the show’s go-to Trump impersonator, sees a world in which Republicans lost the 2016 election in the style of “It’s a Wonderful Life.”

ALEC BALDWIN REPRISES DONALD TRUMP ON 'SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE' IN 'DEAL OR NO DEAL: GOVERNMENT SHUTDOWN EDITION' COLD OPEN

This isn’t the first time that the president has discussed the idea of taking action against “Saturday Night Live.” He previously took a shot at the "It's a Wonderful Life" sketch in December.

"A REAL scandal is the one sided coverage, hour by hour, of networks like NBC & Democrat spin machines like Saturday Night Live. It is all nothing less than unfair news coverage and Dem commercials. Should be tested in courts, can’t be legal? Only defame & belittle! Collusion?" he wrote at the time.

In February, he also called out “SNL” and hinted that its practices should be “looked into.”

“Nothing funny about tired Saturday Night Live on Fake News NBC! Question is, how do the Networks get away with these total Republican hit jobs without retribution? Likewise for many other shows? Very unfair and should be looked into. This is the real Collusion!”

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

While it may seem that Trump is suggesting the FCC take action, he hasn’t made any kind of formal move for the show to be investigated. This is likely due to the fact that the show’s banner of comedy and satire largely makes it immune to the kind of investigation the president seems to be suggesting, as Entertainment Weekly reports. In his latest tweet, Trump is possibly referencing the equal time rule, which forces U.S. broadcast TV stations to give equal air-time to opposing political candidates. However, it's unclear if "SNL" could reasonably be subject to that rule.

Representatives for the FCC did not immediately responded to Fox News' request for comment.

Posted - March 18, 2019

Responses

Tilting at windmills. This is all protected speech under the First Amendment. Like it or not. In Trump’s delusion it is OK to insult and bully anything and everyone, but criminal when directed back at him. Play the victim. Hypocrisy. 

So Trump is deflecting. The serious problems are mounting, feeling paranoid, isolated, hearing footsteps because he knows what might be revealed about him, so he is trying to create diversions as he is obsessed with his own fortunes, not the country’s. Nothing is getting done. 

We see Trump daily projecting his growing frustration onto things and people that displease him or, in Trumpworld, those that don’t  flatter his ego. Trying to save Judge Pirro. Bitching about critics. All in vain. This is not leadership. Yet the legions of enablers and the misled who stand with him are oblivious. 

Look at his pattern: the more frustration, the louder he projects, like a child, from behind a Tweet. Self aggrandizing, exaggerating reality. Trump‘s dementia is crippling him and the WH as his personal situation deteriorates. It’s both sad and hilarious, and is likely to escalate.

Got your popcorn? I predicted this, Sharonna. This post was edited by Don Barzini at March 18, 2019 8:03 PM MDT
      March 18, 2019 1:41 PM MDT

He tweeted and tweeted this weekend about everything INSANE as usual.  Yet he continues to tweet because he confuses all issues.  I can see him clogging up courtrooms with his type of of diversionary tactics that would be far too embarrassing for any normal person or president to consider.  OF COURSE.  And of course, I agree with you.

The terrifying part is the BASE mouthing every word.   This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 18, 2019 8:03 PM MDT
      March 18, 2019 1:50 PM MDT

A word of encouragement: 
    Trump cannot win re-election with only support from his rabid base. Period.

He has to reach out to other demographics to win their vote. This seems unlikely at best. Who is left he hasn’t denigrated? 
      March 18, 2019 2:08 PM MDT

No. He's a loon. Short and sweet. My post that is.
      March 18, 2019 3:54 PM MDT

They have been tested by the public and have been found sorely lacking in funny anymore.  It's the same old anti-trump message week after week.  Talk about Trump derangement syndrome, they have it.  Their viewership is on the decline.  Too bad, it used to be really funny= good old memories, but not making any new ones. 
      March 18, 2019 5:35 PM MDT

I miss the way it was in the late '70s and '80s. When I wasn't supposed to be watching it. 
      March 18, 2019 5:38 PM MDT

• He can dish it out but can’t take it. Toilet paper has thicker skin than he does. 
      March 18, 2019 5:43 PM MDT

OMG - -
    I only read a bit of the article --  with his stupid (yes, they are stupid), ENDLESS and VERY childish Twitter Tantrums -- and he then WONDERS why people poke fun at him? Hey, Mr President -- it's a COMEDY show !! And Alec Baldwin does you better than you do yourself. You're supposedly the Leader of the Free World - - grow some bal**.

Oh, and this does not mean I hate the man (for all the hate haters out there).

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at March 18, 2019 8:54 PM MDT
      March 18, 2019 8:04 PM MDT

I quit watching the show because it is a slap in the face to conservative people. Typical of the entertainment industry these days. I sometimes listen to NPR, a national talk show radio network that has a liberal bend to it. If I get tired of that, Rush Limbaugh is just a channel away on WJR. 
      March 19, 2019 7:30 AM MDT

It's because you people are thin-skinned and tbh, it's funny to see you people pop a rod
      December 21, 2019 4:00 PM MST