Discussion » Questions » Science and Technology » If space is expanding, isn't time also expanding?

If space is expanding, isn't time also expanding?

In that case how can you ever really know what time it is?  Next time someone asks you what time it is, just answer:  Compared to what?

Posted - March 18, 2019

Responses

Tell me how time cannot expand. By virtue of what it is, it automatically expands.
      March 18, 2019 11:29 PM MDT

Time has to expand to give you more time to do answermug. 
      March 19, 2019 6:33 AM MDT

Yeah.  I guess it does not "expand" but it continues and grows and progresses in layman's terms.
      March 19, 2019 10:28 AM MDT

I hope what ever we are expanding into doesn't change.  A sudden stop would be quite a jolt. 
      March 18, 2019 11:42 PM MDT

Time and space are static and infinite.  Any ongoing events such as the universe expanding or shrinking give the illusion of elapsing time.  When the universe big crunches down to a state of zero dimension there will be no events happening to give any illusion of time.

When someone asks you 'what is the time?' just show them your watch which has the hands removed and tell them that the hands of a watch moving around the face just give the illusion of time and time does not exist.  This post was edited by Kittigate at March 19, 2019 10:28 AM MDT
      March 19, 2019 5:52 AM MDT

Time is the measure we use to determine the period between events. The methods and measures we use remain constant, irrelative to the proportions of space.  This known as Ultimate Time.

There is a theory in physics, one that I don’t fully understand, called Thread Particle Network Time, that in the course of our limited existence may not make much of a perceivable difference from Ultimate Time. This post was edited by Don Barzini at March 19, 2019 11:12 AM MDT
      March 19, 2019 6:47 AM MDT

I knew you'd weigh in on this one. I learned a lot of new terms in your answer.   But are you saying there is ONLY ONE theory in physics you don't understand?  Of course not, but that reminds me of a scene from Batman, the TV series:

Robin:  "Golly, Batman, is there anything you don't know?"
    Batman (looking down, deep in thought, perhaps a little troubled):  "Yes, Robin, in fact, several things."

It was funny.  I don't know the answer either.
      March 19, 2019 8:28 AM MDT

Oh no, there are plenty of concepts in physics that defy my understanding. Just like trying to understand women...
      March 19, 2019 8:45 AM MDT

Thread Particle Network Time is Trump's second favorite book after All Quiet on the Western Front.

I'm sure he can explain it for us.
      March 19, 2019 10:29 AM MDT

Time is just a measuring tool. It is imaginary. Einstein used time so his equations would work. 
      March 19, 2019 7:11 AM MDT

I think time is something that control freaks made up so that they can rule the world.  
      March 19, 2019 9:02 AM MDT

Time does not expand, in the way you are referring to space as expanding.
    If it did, a second now would be equal to only a fraction of a second at a future point in time.

IE: There would still be 60 seconds in a minute ... but the actual pause between ticks of the second hand would increase.
      March 19, 2019 10:26 AM MDT

If the rate that time passes is changing for everything, including your brain activity,  at the same rate would you even notice the pause between ticks?
      March 19, 2019 11:48 AM MDT

Hmmmmm ... I'd guess probably not.
    Which would tend to prove time is not expanding, would it not?

Example:
    We can bounce lasers off the surface of the Moon, and prove that is it moving away from the Earth based on the time it takes those results to come back.  But if time is expanding, then those results would take the same time no matter how far gap between the Earth and Moon.
      March 19, 2019 12:48 PM MDT

Hmmmmm...
      March 20, 2019 8:08 PM MDT