Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Why would ANYONE be anti EQUAL RIGHTS?

Why would ANYONE be anti EQUAL RIGHTS?

Posted - March 19, 2019

Responses

1 - It is somebody who is bigoted, and wants to oppress someone else.  (EG: white supremacist)

2 - It is somebody who believes they are owed preferential treatment.  (EG: "you owe me because my ancestors were enslaved")

March 19, 2019 9:33 AM MDT

That's the white and the black of it? You are against reparations then Walt? Isn't preferential treatment accorded to those who were treated unfairly in an effort to make up for it? Of course you can never make up for it. But you can at least acknowledge that injustices were perpetrated can't you? Doesn't the treatment by WHITES of Native Americans deserve reparations? Did we give reparations to Japanese Americans for putting them in Internment Camps? Does wealth harbor the most folks who believe they DESERVE special treatment because they are "better than" those who aren't wealthy? Lotsa sticky wickets here. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday!  :)
      March 20, 2019 2:40 AM MDT

It depends on what you mean by reparations.

I heard an interview on NPR with Bernie Sanders the other day, and he outlined the plan proposed by Congressman Jim Clyburn — it’s called the 10/20/30 legislation — which focuses federal resources in a very significant way on distressed communities.

https://clyburn.house.gov/10-20-30-amendment

I would favor paying reparations to people who were actually mistreated ... but not their descendants.
    I recognize that many blacks were denied opportunities, and that is why they are over-represented in economically depressed areas ... but just paying them money isn't going to solve the problem.  Most of them will spend the money without improving their lives.  (That's not a racist comment - most people would do that.  Which is why Americans have so much individual debt, and little savings.)

March 20, 2019 9:12 AM MDT

Fear of competition from someone or some group they think is inferior to them.
      March 19, 2019 10:17 AM MDT

Some need desperately to believe they are "better than". I don't know why. Thank you for your reply L and Happy Wednesday! :)
      March 20, 2019 2:41 AM MDT

Caste plays a big role in anti-equal rights in India.

As does class system play a big role in anti-equal rights in the West.

There is also anti-equal rights between those with disabilities and those without.

I read something on Quora which said "The issue with legal protection of minority groups is that once you begin constantly pushing for the protection of ever smaller and rarer groups, you necessarily degrade the protections of other groups. You cannot push for LGBT and feminism rights and also call for Muslim immigration without expecting an obvious clash, and does allowing Trans-men in women toilet degrade the protection of woman and young girls?

What about human rights in the Middle East, or women's rights? How does that sit with the Muslim religion?

Hence, equal rights isn't as clear cut as it sounds, especially when a minorities rights may press upon the majority.

What about rights to have children when children are limited in places such as China where girls are often more likely to be abandoned in an orphanage and the disabled even more so?

I fear when it comes to rights we are actually losing more of ours than we are gaining, when it came to the government spying on the public through covert means they didn't abolish it under the human rights act, they legalised it. This post was edited by kjames at March 20, 2019 2:42 AM MDT
      March 19, 2019 5:36 PM MDT

Thank you for a very thoughtful and informative reply kj. Could you please clarify something for me? I don't understand what the problem would be when you say you cannot push for LGBT rights and feminism and also Muslim immigration. I don't understand why they would be adversarial. Happy Wednesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 20, 2019 2:45 AM MDT
      March 20, 2019 2:44 AM MDT

I quoted from a lady on Quora and I thought it a valid point, LGBT and feminism would be in opposition to many Muslim people where in their own countries especially homosexual relationships are against the law, there is a rise of Islamic feminists, however many Muslim women still argue is an ideology only applicable to Western affluent women and even for them it has only resulted in making them into quasi men or sex objects.  Hence, with a variety of different beliefs and views in society you will always come up against and agreement on equal rights.  Happy Wednesday RosieG
      March 20, 2019 12:26 PM MDT

i still don't see the problem Kj. They run on separate tracks. They don't have to intersect.  They don't all have to get long and become  homogenized and hold hands and sink KUMBAYA.What am I missing? Thank you for your reply.
      March 20, 2019 1:44 PM MDT

But if they are in the same country that's exactly what the government expects, but some Muslims as may some Jews, Christians etc find the feminism and demonstration of affection in the LGBT community offensive, that's a reality because it's against their religious belief and so under the freedom of religion they express that belief, and then get accused of hate crime. The government expects people of different Nations and beliefs to integrate, but they can't when you look at the reality of the situation and it's ignorant to think otherwise. All that happens in the UK is that you will get large Muslim areas, large Hindu areas, large Nigerian areas, they don't always integrate, then you have infighting when a different race or creed enters one of these areas. Even in large areas predominantly Nigerian you have infighting between tribes, say the Igbo tribe and the Yoruba.

This post was edited by kjames at March 21, 2019 1:13 PM MDT
      March 21, 2019 1:07 PM MDT