Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are all addictions bad? Can't you be addicted to justice or honor or integrity or truth or caring or kindness or helping? Are you?

Are all addictions bad? Can't you be addicted to justice or honor or integrity or truth or caring or kindness or helping? Are you?

Posted - March 19, 2019

Responses

I look at addiction this way.  It is a mindless, out of control, knee-jerk reaction to a certain thing.

So, all the qualities you mention are more geared from the heart.  From the mind.  From focused intention on being a good soul and benefiting from that behavior.  

It is not a mindless reaction.  People who are good with no thought of why. are suspect to me.  Kind of like being a Catholic because your parents are.  No reason.  Just following the crowd.  Doing out of duty and no thought of why is an empty act. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 20, 2019 1:39 AM MDT
      March 19, 2019 10:21 AM MDT

I look at it from the opposite point of view. If you are good then you naturally organically do good. You don't have to think about it. You are simply drawn to it. If you think about it then could it be you are doing it for an audience to get props? My sister-in-law Jo was the kindest sweetest most thoughtful loving person I have ever known. She'd call to chat about everything or nothing in particular. She just thought of us and called. We'd get all kinds of things from her. She'd see something and thought of us and bought it and sent it. As far as I was able to tell she was everyone's favorite person. She did not play favorites. She was that way with everyone she met. She was a very loving soul. Her life ended because her husband smoked a lot their entire marriage. I think you know he committed suicide eventually because the pain of the metastasized cancer was more than he could bear. His legacy to her was emphysema and that is what killed her. Jim is the kindest sweetest nicest most thoughtful person I know. Everyone loves him. Just like everyone loved his baby sister Jo. I believe there are other Jims and Jos in the world Sharon. If you are very lucky one of them is in your life. I was doubly lucky. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at March 20, 2019 1:50 AM MDT
      March 20, 2019 1:48 AM MDT

• That's an interesting addiction. I always thought that an addiction was something that couldn't be controlled. The items listed above are something that require a lot of work and effort to bring into fruition.
      March 19, 2019 10:24 AM MDT

I disagree. My sister-in-law Jo was one of those people. It was natural to her. It came easily and effortlessly. It was her nature. My Jim is like that too DA. I'm a very lucky woman. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday! :)
      March 20, 2019 1:52 AM MDT

Did you ever see Jim Carey's movie Liar, Liar?  He couldn't lie for 24 hours.

Psychological dependence (addiction) is a state that involves emotional–motivational withdrawal symptoms (e.g. anxiety) upon cessation of drug use or certain behaviours.

I guess it is possible somebody would be addicted to telling the truth. 
    But that would include them being incapable of telling "little white lies" without suffering "withdrawal symptoms".

Honor and Integrity are totally subjective.  So it would be difficult to determine if someone was addicted to either.
    Helping would also be a difficult one.  IE: "tough love" - is it helping or hurting?  long term vs short term.

March 19, 2019 10:38 AM MDT

I saw the movie. He was a congenital liar and wasn't his newphew that wished he would tell the truth and the powers that be made it so? My sister-in-law Jo was effortlessly and consistently the sweetest kindest most caring and loving I"ve ever met. She was everyone's favorite person. She did not play favorite. My Jim, her brother, it the nicest kindest most caring person I know now that his baby sister Jo is gone. I have experienced which I described more than twice. I have had in my life a handful of such people.  They are out there living simple lives and always a delight.  I just report what I experience Walt or I ask what I imagine. I did imagine these people. They were real, they are real. As for tough love I wouldn't know. No one was ever tough with and thanfully I never had to be tough with anyone. Thank you for your reply and Happy Wednesday!  :)
      March 20, 2019 1:57 AM MDT

Wait, is this about the sandwiches or about the tildes?

~
      March 19, 2019 10:43 AM MDT

Unfortunately, no.  One cannot be addicted to doing good.  When one is addicted to something they have developed a dependance on that thing; it controls them (meaning they think they can't live/survive without it).   

If one does something constantly for a long enough time, it becomes ingrained in them.  We call this a habit.  Habits can be good or bad.  Brushing your teeth every day is considered to be a good habit, while biting your fingernails is considered to be a bad habit.  Some people get into the habit of always being truthful and honest.  We say these people have integrity.  Others don't get into this habit as they don't practice it continually.  They intermix honesty with telling lies and being deceptive.  Even though some habits can turn into addictions (smoking, lying, drugs), we don't call continual good habits addictions.  We don't say that someone is addicted to saying 'please' and 'thank you' (not including OCD).  Rather we say that that person has developed a habit of being polite.  The word addiction denotes negativity.  We don't want to be addicted to anything.  However, we do want to form good habits.
    Forming a good habit takes effort while developing a bad habit doesn't seem to take any effort at all.
    Both habits and addictions can be broken.  While good habits are fairly easy to break, it takes strength and determination to break a bad habit or addiction.  More effort than developing a good habit in the first place.  Addictions can also be broken, however breaking them may require the help of others.

March 19, 2019 11:04 AM MDT

Thank you for your thoughtful reply Shuhk and Happy Wednesday!  :)
      March 20, 2019 1:59 AM MDT

None of what you mentioned are addictions. They are positive and very important qualities that many people have and exhibit on a daily basis. :)
      March 19, 2019 2:20 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply ru and Happy Wednesday to you.
      March 20, 2019 1:58 AM MDT