Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Do you eat fresh vegetables or are you a freak that eats canned?

Do you eat fresh vegetables or are you a freak that eats canned?

Posted - March 19, 2019

Responses

I am a freak that makes that face at anything that is not labeled fresh and organic.

Anything else is sprayed with chemicals.   Especially berries.  Stay away from strawberries that are not certified organic.  And even most of that is grown in fumigated soil.  VERY BAD.

Very bad for you.

We are all doomed.

Face it.  Open the can.  I do eat canned tuna still.  GUILTY.

WHAT IS ORGANIC STRAWBERRY FARMING? HOW ARE ORGANICALLY GROWN FRUITS AND VEGETABLES DIFFERENT THAT THE CONVENTIONALLY GROWN PRODUCE?

The word organic refers to the way farmers grow and process produce, in this case strawberries. The organic method of growing strawberries (or any fruit or vegetable for that matter) encourages soil and water conservation and also focuses on reducing air and water pollution. Organic methods also make use of natural fertilizers and pesticides unlike conventionally grown produce that uses chemicals for weed and insect control.

DIFFERENCES IN ORGANIC AND INORGANIC FARMING

Conventionally grown

Organically grown

Uses chemicals and fertilizers for plant growth

Uses natural fertilizers like manure, compost etc to stimulate growth

Reduce pests and disease through spraying chemicals

Use insects, birds, organic mulches, vinegar and essential oil herbicides to reduce pests and disease

Use chemicals to control weeds

Use mechanical techniques to reduce weeds and also use methods like crop rotation, hand weeding and mulching for weed control

Use injections growth hormones and antibiotics to stimulate growth of plant and prevent disease and increase yield

Use preventive methods for controlling disease and also organic methods to increase yield

Use toxic fumigants for soil health

Use natural mulch for enhancing soil quality

NATURALLY: INORGANIC STRAWBERRIES HAVE TONS OF CHEMICALS AND PESTICIDES APPLIED TO THEM WHICH YOU WON’T FIND IN THE ORGANIC VARIETIES

According to a report by the USDA, a single sample of conventionally grown strawberry found more than 13 traces of chemicals that include the following:

Methyl bromide-This is a broad spectrum pesticide that is typically used for spraying fields that grow strawberries, tomatoes etc. The gas is used as fumigant for penetrating the soil at least 12-14 inches before the crop is planted. The field is then covered with tarps so that the gas gets to work killing almost all of the soil organisms-which includes the beneficial organisms as well. Additionally, farmers also use the fumigant not just while farming but also on their commodities (strawberries, tomatoes, nuts, grapes, peppers etc) during storage to prevent insects from harming them. For more information of the harmful effects of Methyl bromide, please click the link here.

Chloropicrin-This is a tear gas that is also a soil fumigant. It is a major irritant for the skin and eyes, and breathing it could induce nausea, vomiting, headaches and gastric disorders. Higher concentration can even lead to build up of fluid in the lungs and this government website has deemed it a highly reactive and dangerous explosive hazard.

Telone (1,3 D)-This soil fumigant has been classified as toxic and carcinogenic if inhaled or swallowed. It can also cause eye and skin irritation.

These 3 are just fumigants used for growing strawberries. As mentioned before, tests conducted on non-organic strawberry samples turned up residual pesticides in alarming proportions including 24 suspected hormone disruptors, 11 neurotoxins and 9 known carcinogens. Nearly half of the samples also turned up Fungicides Captan and Pyraclostrobin.

SO WHY ARE THE AUTHORITIES TURNING A BLIND EYE TO THIS?

The strawberry industry is trying to adopt measures and invest in less toxic alternatives of growing organic berries. However “the big shift won’t happen until newer grants do not mitigate the risk of switching to new techniques of growing strawberries”.

Also growing organic strawberries requires a huge investment and, though it is profitable, it is also a risky venture. The initial investment is very high and managing weeds and insects organically without the use of chemicals is complex. Furthermore, labor shortages can also lead to destruction of crops particularly at the time of harvest.

Growing organic strawberries takes months of initial preparation. There are more than 20 different steps involved in the process. These include testing the soil to ensure that it passes certain standards, followed by several rounds of tilling, pre-irrigation, shaping and mulching to form beds of strawberry rows. Additional months of labor are also needed in caring for the fruit and nurturing the delicate plants. If these reports are to be believed: the total cost of growing strawberries organically can run up to nearly $50, 000 per acre! Naturally farmers want returns on investment in proportion to these costs and hence organic strawberries are costlier than their traditionally grown counterparts.

Needless to say, your best bet is to stick to organic strawberries no matter how expensive they may be.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at March 19, 2019 12:44 PM MDT
      March 19, 2019 12:38 PM MDT

• When I go strawberry or raspberry picking I’ll eat them right off the bush. LOL, I like the name change:)
      March 19, 2019 12:45 PM MDT

Well he is the HUUUGEST toddler baby of all time in all the world ever.

I am so happy you get to experience real strawberries like that.   I am so envious.  You need to jar that shizat.  
      March 19, 2019 1:22 PM MDT

• You can’t pick strawberries? I do jar them in the summer. I can’t really cook but I can make jam :)
      March 19, 2019 2:51 PM MDT

I eat fresh as my 1st choice in most everything.  I have no objection to canned, however.  I hate most processed crap that is sold these days however.
      March 19, 2019 1:26 PM MDT

• I think canned vegetables are too mushy. 
      March 19, 2019 1:48 PM MDT

Depends on the manufacturer and your need.  Some canned in both the USA & the EU is actually quite good. In some places canned is preferable to fresh - Mideast, Africa and most parts of Asia.  Frozen is not available or prohibitively expensive.

The crap that came in the service rations would keep you fed, however large doses of Tabasco are required
      March 20, 2019 9:20 AM MDT

• I bet the peas and carrots in a can are mushy in any part of the world. 
      March 20, 2019 9:42 AM MDT

Not really, try LeSeur Brand peas or Green Giant in the small can.  Now British mush peas are evil IMO
      March 22, 2019 1:51 PM MDT

• Ours are the same as British then, mushy  and evil. 
      March 22, 2019 4:00 PM MDT

How does eating any specific thing make anybody a "freak?" Is anyone who behaves differently from you somehow a "freak?"
      March 19, 2019 1:50 PM MDT

• Only a freak could like canned peas, yes. 
      March 19, 2019 1:52 PM MDT

How open-minded of you.
      March 19, 2019 2:00 PM MDT

• Don’t get all butt hurt  because I don’t agree with mushy pea eating lifestyle. 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 19, 2019 2:03 PM MDT
      March 19, 2019 2:03 PM MDT

Nobody's butt-hurt, but one might wonder why something that doesn't affect you would bother you so much.
      March 19, 2019 2:23 PM MDT

• Why do you assume it bothers me? If you want to be a mushy pea lover go ahead and let your freak flag fly. 
      March 19, 2019 2:31 PM MDT

Then why post a whole question about something that doesn't affect you?
      March 19, 2019 3:14 PM MDT

• I was curious who the freaks are,  that are into the mushy pea lifestyle. That does not mean that I’m bothered by it. Why the hellz does anyone ask anything here or any similar platform?hmmmmm?  GAWD. 

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 19, 2019 7:30 PM MDT
      March 19, 2019 3:31 PM MDT

"freak?"   "freak"?
    This post was edited by Element 99 at March 19, 2019 3:03 PM MDT
      March 19, 2019 2:01 PM MDT

Wrong.  Punctuation is inside of the quote.  
      March 19, 2019 2:09 PM MDT

Here is my post: How does eating any specific thing make anybody a "freak?" Is anyone who behaves differently from you somehow a "freak?"

Perhaps you should leave corrections to professionals such as Randy D and myself.
      March 19, 2019 2:26 PM MDT

You are emphasizing one word... "freak", not the entire sentence, therefore the quote should be on the outside. If you quoted an entire sentence, then you would be correct. I'll message Nevan.
      March 19, 2019 2:41 PM MDT

Then we disagree. Not worth making a correction.
      March 19, 2019 3:13 PM MDT

Yeah...not worth an ulcer. Hey...Jews like to debate...
      March 19, 2019 5:28 PM MDT