Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
my2cents
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Words have different meanings to different people. It depends upon history/personalityexperience and whether they're articulate. Are you ?

Words have different meanings to different people. It depends upon history/personalityexperience and whether they're articulate. Are you ?

When you use a word the meaning you attach to it is obviously evident to you since you CHOSE to use it. How do you KNOW the person you say it to receives it as you intended it? You don't unless the person will ask do you mean this do you mean that what do you mean? Folks don't usually do that. They believe they know what you mean and respond to what they think that is. We could be talking on different
levels about very different things and not even know it. Dagnabbit! :(

Posted - March 21, 2019

Responses

As Humpty Dumpty says, when I use a word, it means just what I choose it to mean. 
      March 21, 2019 7:55 AM MDT

Exactly! How do I KNOW what that is Malizz? I hear your word and I already have meaning for it so what if your meaning and my meaning are different? See the problem? Neither one of us can possibly KNOW what the other perceives when we hear word.  We only know what WE know. SIGH. Thank you for your reply and Happy Thursday to thy! :)
      March 21, 2019 7:59 AM MDT

Reference is to Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. In his alter ego as a mathematician, he would be used to defining words in a precise mathematical way which is how you know his meaning. 
      March 21, 2019 9:46 AM MDT