Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Music » Name some of your favorite singers who started out by singing in church as youngsters and later rose to stardom. ~

Name some of your favorite singers who started out by singing in church as youngsters and later rose to stardom. ~

Posted - March 24, 2019

Responses

• Whitney Houston. 
      March 24, 2019 8:36 AM MDT

•   March 24, 2019 11:40 AM MDT

How would anyone know what singer started out singing in church.....
     I myself started singing in the bath.....had to give that up quickly though as the audience kept fumbling for the bar of soap and on accession made me squeak ...
    Handy though when it was time to dry myself.....many hands make lite work I was told and now I know that's true.....:)D 
      March 24, 2019 8:47 AM MDT

• Usually that information is included in the artist's promotional bio's that are sent out to various media outlets by their respective recording labels.  It's a very common occurrence with Contemporary Christian artists who crossover to mainstream music, but many others, be they in R&B, Country, or Pop, develop their vocal skills in church choirs and music ministries as well.  Some might choose not to make this known, but many singers are very forthcoming about it, especially when they make the rounds with the press when recording Christmas albums or Inspirational albums.  These little tid-bits of information are also often personally shared by the artist in the liner notes that accompany CD's, Albums, and the like. 
      March 24, 2019 2:17 PM MDT

THANK you!

~
      March 24, 2019 2:20 PM MDT

i buy CDs but never read what in them apart from what music is on the disc...thanks for the info...:)
      March 24, 2019 3:28 PM MDT

• LOL!  it's rather useless info, but you are certainly welcome.
      March 24, 2019 3:31 PM MDT

• Pop/Christian performer Britt Nicole.  I love her. 
    Here is one of her biggest Top 40 crossover hits from 2012..."GOLD"

March 24, 2019 10:29 AM MDT

Yes!
    I've never heard this song or singer.

Yes, I'm worth more than gold, damnit.
      March 24, 2019 11:32 AM MDT

The Pointer Sisters

Here's their kick-a** "Cloudburst"

March 24, 2019 11:24 AM MDT

• Scene from The Pointer Sisters Up All Nite where the sisters roam the streets of LA, find a quaint church and reminisce about younger days. Ruth plays the piano and sings a rare and upbeat solo of Swing Low Sweet Chariot. Anita and June join in singing and clapping.

March 24, 2019 11:39 AM MDT

Have to leave for work now -- wow! I had no idea the Sisters had done anything called Up All Nite. How'd this  escape me? I am looking forward to getting home from work to watch and listen to this, thanks, Twinkle Dink!

They have been a huge part of my life -- seen them in concert twice. The first time I was a freshman in high school.  After that concert and after standing in line , after being told by a security guard (he was hot, ha!)  that The Pointer Sisters were not giving out more autographs (I was literally last in line), I snuck/sneaked around the backstage area and found their dressing room and knocked on the door. They invited me in and had me sit down with them and we all talked! They were incredibly nice to me and SO funny!

Hey, later -- be well - -
      March 24, 2019 11:57 AM MDT

• That is amazing that you had an opportunity like that.  Wow!
      March 24, 2019 5:55 PM MDT

Yeah, it was great!!
    They were so open and welcoming, especially considering how I sort of intruded on them-- I felt comfortable with them immediately. Very nice people, those sisters.
      March 24, 2019 5:58 PM MDT

Hey, very nice.

Very nice.

Thank you Twinkle Dink.

Possibly part of the reason I like them so much - -  I'm a PK, like they are. (Preacher's Kid) -- But probably not. I loved them for years before I knew about their dad. 
      March 24, 2019 5:31 PM MDT

Aretha Franklin and Whitney Houston are the only two I can think of without looking it up.
      March 24, 2019 12:43 PM MDT