Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » WHAT KIND OF BREAD DO YOU HAVE IN THE BOX OR FRIDGE OR FREEZER? That is the Question of the hour.....

WHAT KIND OF BREAD DO YOU HAVE IN THE BOX OR FRIDGE OR FREEZER? That is the Question of the hour.....

The Different Types Of Bread From Around The World

March 26, 2018

Timmary/Shutterstock

There are numerous types of bread, many specific to a certain region and cuisine. Here are some of the most common types worldwide:

Bagel

Country of Origin: Poland

• Bagels are a ring-shaped bread commonly eaten for breakfast plain, toasted, with cream cheese or as a sandwich.
  • This type of bread originated in Jewish communities in Poland back in 1610.
  • Bagels can be plain, made from various yeasts, topped with seeds or infused with berries or chocolate chips.

Baguette

Country of Origin: France

• A baguette is a long, thin loaf of bread commonly served with a simple spread or butter.
  • Baguette translates roughly to "wand" or "baton."
  • Originally, a classic French loaf was round, with a flavorful crust and a thick and heavy interior. As more and more customers began preferring the crust to the interior, the bread was stretched into the oblong shape it is today.

Banana Bread

banana bread sliced with banana in the background
A_Lein/Shutterstock

Country of Origin: the U.S.

• This sweet bread is made from mashed bananas and is incredibly moist, almost like a cake.
  • The recipe became popular in the 1930s as a result of themass production ofbaking powder and baking soda, both of which are key ingredients.
  • During the Great Depression, people would use their old bananas to make this bread to avoid wasting food.
  • There are many different variations of the recipe, and the bread can contain chocolate chips, nuts, raisins or can even be made intomuffins.

Breadstick

bread sticks in white cloth on a wooden table
Brent Hofacker/Shutterstock

Country of Origin: Italy

• Bread sticks are long, thin sticks of bread commonly served on the side of Italian dishes or as appetizers.
  • According to a Turin, Italy, tradition, they were invented in the town by a baker in the 1670s.
  • They're commonly served warm and topped with garlic or cheese, but can also be a served as a dessert covered in cinnamon sugar.

Brioche Bread

Country of Origin: France

• The rich and tender brioche is light, fluffy and crumbly because of its high content of butter and eggs.
  • This bread is centuries old and so rich that it's delicious served plain with butter, but it is even better when made into desserts such as bread pudding or pain au chocolat. It's also sometimes used as a base for delicate and buttery foie gras.

Brown Bread

brown bread slices and brown bread loaf surrounded by other breads
Billion Photos/Shutterstock

Country of Origin: Ireland

• Brown bread ismade of whole wheat, wheat germ, and brown sugar, and can be eaten as part of a traditional Irish breakfast covered with butter and jam.
  • Traditionally, brown bread was favored by the lower classbecause of its low price.

Challah

close up of challah bread with sesame seeds on top
studio evasion/Shutterstock

Country of Origin: Israel

• Challah is a special braided bread, typically eaten on the Sabbath and other major Jewish holidays.
  • The braids are meant to resemble intertwined arms symbolizing love.
  • Traditionally, a small portion of the challah dough is removed during preparation andburned for a blessing ritual.
  • This decorative bread is made from eggs and topped with poppy seeds and sesame seeds.

Ciabatta Bread

ciabatta bread on a cloth sliced
Brent Hofacker/Shutterstock

Country of Origin: Italy

• Ciabatta is white bread made from wheat flour, salt, yeast and water. It's distinguishable due to its airy inside and crisp outside, which is similar to French baguettes.
  • This bread is often served alongside olive oil and its fluffy interior soaks the oil right up.
  • It's a relatively new type of bread -- it wascreated in 1982 and didn't take off in commercial markets until the 1990s.

Cornbread

corn bread on a yellow plate
Darryl Brooks/Shutterstock

Country of Origin: the U.S.

• Unlike most types of bread, cornbread is not made from yeast. Instead, it is heavy with cornmeal and relies on baking powder to leaven or ferment and rise.
  • The recipeoriginated with the Native Americans and was adopted by English settlers.
  • Today, cornbread is a popular side in the southern U.S.

Naan Bread

stack of naan on a wooden plate with curry in the background
MariaKovaleva/Shutterstock

Region of Origin: South Asia

• Naan is a leavened, baked flatbread native to South Asia, Central Asia and the Middle East.
  • It's a staple of Indian cuisine and served in a variety of flavors with various curries, spices and fillings, but is commonly served hot and brushed with butter.

Pita Bread

pita wraps with french fries
Joshua Resnick/Shutterstock

Region of Origin: Middle East

• Pita bread has been traced back to Mesopotamia around 25000 B.C., and is now traditionally associated with Greek and Middle Eastern foods.
  • Pita is a slightly leavened flatbread and has a pocket that is stuffed so the bread becomes a sandwich or a wrap.
  • It's commonly served with gyros, falafel or kebabs. This type of bread is also commonly paired with hummus or, in Greece, tzatziki sauce.

Pretzel

I STOPPED BECAUSE THIS IS NOT BREAD PER SE....

Posted - March 26, 2019

Responses

Not sure if you are looking for an answer but I keep whole wheat bread, whole rye bread, and a whole wheat multigrain bread with sunflower seeds.  Also occasionally whole wheat pita.  Corn bread I make myself every month or two months. When I was younger I used to bake bread quite often, particularly in my hippie days when I was able to have a kitchen.  Not maybe once a year I will still make whole rye flour and corn flour bread or thirded bread - whole wheat, rye, and corn flour. 
      March 26, 2019 10:18 AM MDT

Yes. I am looking for an answer.  I want to know what kind of bread you keep in the box, fridge or freezer.

YES.  THIS SOUNDS SO AMAZING I wish I had you next door.  I would pay you to bake this stuff.  I have no time to do it.
      March 26, 2019 10:23 AM MDT

I only still make the corn breads and Pilgrim and thirded breads. The other breads I buy.  Thank you. 
      March 26, 2019 10:26 AM MDT

• I freeze sourdough boule, whole wheat and white bread.  We get ours from a local bakery.  No Wonder Bread crappola!   I also make my own burger buns and freeze those.  
      March 26, 2019 11:48 AM MDT

• Gawd that all looks so good lol. I have no bread in my box right now. -_-  I like rye and baguettes best though when I’m eating bread. 
      March 26, 2019 12:14 PM MDT

The non tourist kind - tourist pay a buck or two more per loaf then us local yokels. Anyway we mostly have rye breads. Cheers!
      March 26, 2019 12:27 PM MDT

I don't put my bread in the freezer.  I have a small loaf of rye bread and half a loaf of wheat bread on the counter.
      March 26, 2019 1:45 PM MDT

• Sourdough. It's the main type of bread I like. Thinking about trying to make my own some time. 
      March 26, 2019 2:34 PM MDT

I just bought two loaves of Arnold's rye bread.
      March 26, 2019 2:44 PM MDT

We have a loaf of multigrain bread in the fridge.
      March 26, 2019 3:40 PM MDT

The closest thing I have at the moment is tortillas, which is madness considering that I LOVE BREAD! I'm practically salivating at the pics in this post! 

I sometimes buy bagels or English muffins, but I've mostly stopped buying bread unless it's for an occasion when I'll have company. I just don't use it enough and it kept going bad.  I hate wasting food. 
      March 26, 2019 7:19 PM MDT

12 grain. A tasty snack with a little butter on it. I often enjoy a slice with a bowl of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup. It has Andy Warhol artwork on the can's label. 
      March 26, 2019 9:08 PM MDT