Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Is Ethiopia offensive?

Is Ethiopia offensive?

Posted - March 29, 2019

Responses

• That we are the world song is offensive to me. Isn’t that about Ethiopia?
      March 29, 2019 6:34 AM MDT

It was about Africa in general ... and giving to charity to improve their lives.
    What is offensive about it?
      March 29, 2019 12:55 PM MDT

• Huey Lewis.
      March 29, 2019 1:06 PM MDT

I'm not fond of Huey in case you need to know that.
      March 29, 2019 1:08 PM MDT

• It helps. 
      March 29, 2019 1:09 PM MDT

He gave me a headache and he did not look right.  Everyone in the 80's was big hair and handsome and Huey looked like someone's dad who crashed a good party.
      March 29, 2019 1:17 PM MDT

• lol yeah :)
      March 29, 2019 1:56 PM MDT

• That song sucks
      March 29, 2019 7:27 PM MDT

• That ‘do they know it’s Christmas time‘ is even worse. 
      March 30, 2019 8:48 AM MDT

I wonder if they have pirates like Somolia?
      March 29, 2019 6:35 AM MDT

Ethiopia is landlocked--I actually didn't realize no landlocked country has more inhabitants (over 100 million)--but maybe they have river-pirates?
      March 29, 2019 12:41 PM MDT

Here's an interesting article, from last year.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-44369382

Ethiopia used to have a navy ... disbanded it when they lost their coastline, due to Eritrea's independence in 1993 ... but is now wanting a Navy to protect their shipping interests.
      March 29, 2019 12:50 PM MDT

That is interesting; thank you for that.

It raises some moral questions too, such as how "[r]ecorded incidents of piracy and militancy in the region do not justify investment in building a navy from the ground up," but I can't say I'm anywhere near informed enough to judge.
      March 29, 2019 12:59 PM MDT

• heck with a Navy. Can you believe they have their own friggin airline?  Incredible.  No food, just flies and Boeings.
      March 29, 2019 7:29 PM MDT

March 29, 2019 1:14 PM MDT

Ethiopian Politics Government News - Ethiopian News

Opposition Party Slams Ethiopian Government for Failing to Safeguard Human Rights

Beyene-PetrosMarch 28, 2019 (Ezega.com) -- Ethiopian opposition party Ethiopian Social Democratic Party (ESDP) has come out to express its discontentment with the government of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed over the lack of the rule of law and gross human rights violations.

When Abiy assumed office, he was quick to institute an array of reforms meant to transform the country. Key among them was to improve the human rights situation.

Presently, that’s not the case. Many citizens are starting to doubt whether the prime minister is really committed to improving the country’s fortunes. For others, the reluctance to ensure law and order prevails is rather odd

Ethiopian Broadcasting Corporation Gets a New Board

EBC-BoardMarch 22, 2019 (Ezega.com) -- The state-owned Ethiopian Broadcasting Corporation (EBC) got new board members, according to the Ethiopian News Agency.

The House of People’s Representatives (HPR) of Ethiopia just approved the appointment of six board members yesterday.

The board members were nominated by the Prime Minister of Ethiopia Abiy Ahmed.

The new board was approved by majority vote, but with 10 voting against and 28 abstentions.

This is the second time in less than a year that the corporation got new board members. In July 2018, the Prime Minister had nominated personalities such as

Ethiopia Walking a Thin Line

Divided-EthiopiaMarch 20, 2019 (Ezega.com) -- Ethiopia’s problem lie in its governance structure and the ethnic-federal system, which divided the nation into linguistic and ethnic factions in which exclusion has been normalized. Consequently, as things stand right now, it will be impossible to realize a democratic Ethiopia devoid of ethnic identity and ethnic-federalism. Once again, it appears to be a failed experiment in democracy.

The ethnic polarization concocted and perfected by the EPRDF (Ethiopian People's Revolutionary Democratic Front) in the past decades ignored the divine, cultural, social and economic fabric that glued Ethiopians together for centu

Ethiopian National Census Postponed Amid Security Concerns

Ethiopia-Population-Census-postponedMarch 18, 2019 (Ezega.com) -- The Fourth National Housing and Population Census of Ethiopia has once again been postponed due to security issues, among other things, according to the reporter.

The census was scheduled to start the first week of April 2019.

Following a heated debate between members of Census Commission, the commission decided to postpone the planned national population census until the concerns are addressed.

The commission was being chaired by Deputy Prime Minister Demeke Mekonnen when talks broke down.

The Commission had an urgent meeting on Saturday,

Gedu Andargachew Resigns; Ambachew Mekonnen Elected Chief Administrator of Amhara Region

Gedu-Andargachew-resignsMarch 8, 2019 (Ezega.com) - The Amhara regional council accepted the resignation letter submitted by Gedu Andargachew early this morning, according to FBC news.

In his place, the Amhara regional council elected Dr. Ambachew Mekonnen as Chief Administrator of the Amhara Regional State.

Prior to his newappointment, the new Chief Administrator Dr. Ambachew Mekonnen had served as Infrastructure and Urban Development Advisor to the Prime Minister.

The news emerged in the last day of Amhara Regional Council’s congress on Friday.

No reason was given for Gedu Andargachew's resignation or whether this is re

Amhara Region Council Urges the People of Tigray and Amhara to Reject Agitators

Amhara-Region-Council-032019March 7, 2019 (Ezega.com) - The Amhara Regional Council gave a sobering assessment of the security situation in Ethiopia, and in and around the Amhara region, in particular.

The 12th regular council conference was held yesterday in Bahir Dar city, the capital of Amhara region.

The council saw the developing situation in Ethiopia as grave and urged all Ethiopians to work towards peace and dialogue.

Speaking during the conference, regional parliament speaker Worksemu Mamo said regional leaders of Ethiopia need to observe tolerance.

Peace is absent in many areas, millions of our people are being dislo

TPLF Issues a Strong Statement Criticizing Abiy Ahmed Leadership

TPLF-statement-2019February 17, 2019 (Ezega.com) - The Tigrayan People's Liberation Front (TPLF) celebrated the 44th anniversary of its foundation today in Mekelle, Tigray, and other cities around the world.

Marking the occasion, the organization released one of the strongest statements it issued to date criticizing the way the country is going under the leadership of Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed.

The Organization all but condemned what it called the erosion of constitutional order in broad day light and vowed that it will not sit idly while the country is going into anarchy.

The statement, which came at the end of the Central Committe meeting of the TPLF

March 29, 2019 1:18 PM MDT

• Sand pirates 
      March 29, 2019 7:28 PM MDT

Is Hawaii?  How about Austrailia?  How about Northlake, Illinois?

What is the point?  Offensive how?  Do they have arms to defend themselves?  Probably not unless you are standing close enough to get sliced in half by a machete.

I know there are a lot of people that love to look for things to be offended BY.  They spend all their time on this idea.

March 29, 2019 12:48 PM MDT

March 29, 2019 12:53 PM MDT

I would LOVE to study the governing of Africa.  I think the peoples of Africa would look at Trump and go, "that's nice.  Did he murder any opposing parties today?"

LOL

They are much rougher trade than what goes on here.  I don't care how sophisticated they may look on the outside.  They are a mess.  Not a very iinciteful and supportive argument, but I know they are a mess.  That's all I know.
      March 29, 2019 1:13 PM MDT

Some more than others, no doubt.

I mean, I've never heard of most of these nations.
    Well, not since having to take Geography in middle school.
    And what was the point of knowing all those countries, since we weren't taught anything other than where they were.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sovereign_states_and_dependent_territories_in_Africa
      March 29, 2019 1:24 PM MDT

Because there is only so much time in school, I guess.  I think we need to go to college and "specialize".  How can we do government in high school?  No way.  It's hard enough to get through a moderately difficult Political Science class in high school.  Of course, I have NOT BEEN in high school in 50 years now.

It would be fascinating to learn about though.  If I were rich, had time and could spend time.
      March 29, 2019 1:30 PM MDT

• I've never been a fan of Ethiopa since Sally Struthers went on a rampage eating all the Kids food This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at March 29, 2019 1:57 PM MDT
      March 29, 2019 1:32 PM MDT

Now wait.  Does that make sense?  Why take it out on Ethiopia?  Take it out on SALLY'S Kardashian ASS.
      March 29, 2019 1:35 PM MDT