Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » Genetically modified foods. Yes or no? Reasons are welcome but not necessary.

Genetically modified foods. Yes or no? Reasons are welcome but not necessary.

Posted - April 1, 2019

Responses

Yes. 
    The make food taste better and able to grow more without as much resources. 
      April 1, 2019 1:17 PM MDT

How convenient and the only price is cancer.  
      April 1, 2019 1:21 PM MDT

No. It is not. 
    Everything is GMO. Even that organic stuff. Even stuff your plant yourself. 
      April 1, 2019 1:24 PM MDT

Enter your name and email in the boxes below to receive regular updates on all things GMO!

My 2.  Not as I am understanding it.  I may be confusing it with ALTERED foods such as irradiated but I think genetically engineered foods may not be as bad as the irradiated.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 1, 2019 3:20 PM MDT
      April 1, 2019 1:25 PM MDT

• Selective breeding is not comparable to generic engineering.  That's complete hogwash spin doctoring by Monsanto.
      April 1, 2019 2:14 PM MDT

That's probably not the only price.
      April 1, 2019 2:09 PM MDT

Wise words I fear.....don't mess with nature, the all mighty....
      April 1, 2019 2:41 PM MDT

...and it has the pesticides built right into it for your dining pleasure.   The sad thing is that it is very hard to avoid all GMOs in the USA.  They are outlawed in Europe. 
      April 1, 2019 6:48 PM MDT

THEY ARE NOT WELCOME.

Search for:

SECRET INGREDIENTS, THE NEW FILM BY JEFFREY SMITH AND AMY HART, shares remarkable stories of people who regain their health after discovering the secret ingredients in their food and making a bold commitment to avoid them.

Enter your name and email in the boxes below to receive regular updates on all things GMO!

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 1, 2019 2:39 PM MDT
      April 1, 2019 1:22 PM MDT

Ok. I'll bite!
      April 1, 2019 1:22 PM MDT

Couple I know consumed a GM product that had a frog gene. Their child was born with webbed toes on both feet. 

is April fool's over yet?

This post was edited by Kittigate at April 1, 2019 5:37 PM MDT
      April 1, 2019 1:31 PM MDT

My vegetables come from my own garden, my fruit comes from my own trees and my cheese and dairy comes from my own cows as much as possible.  When I need to buy food at the store I make sure it's organic and non-GMO or non-BE.  The only time when I can't avoid GMO or BE food is when I go out to eat but that isn't very much.
      April 1, 2019 2:07 PM MDT

• Its basically impossible to eat corn.
      April 1, 2019 2:12 PM MDT

I agree.  It comes out in our poop whole.
      April 1, 2019 2:19 PM MDT

Don't swallow it whole. Chew it.
      April 1, 2019 3:42 PM MDT

• I have one stance against it. The healthy or not debate has little evidence either way so skip that.

You're toying with nature and food supplies.  Yea there can be benefits but the cost is too great.  Introducing genes that weren't naturally developed through natural selection and selective breeding compromises the food supply of the future.   The oak he are adapted to the environment,  but to pesticide use and modern technology.   When those go,  so does the food when generic e engineering has c.f. Re rates gene types that spread into the natural world and out competing them through human hands.  Its making food a house of cards for the future.  Introducing new genes from other species or creating new ones that don't even exist naturally is a bad idea and ignorant.  It's not needed either.  Fact is genetic engineering is rarely, ( read never) about making food more healthy or the plant more robust in reality.  It is about making it more profitable and more suitable for industrial scale farming.   Its to do things like Mae the plants more tolerant or immune to pesticides that are shown to cause cancer and remain in the environment for years. Chemicals that ruin the soil and the native flora and spit on  bio  diversity.  That's the only problem.  The cancer link isn't with the food being GMO,  its that the food was grown  with poisons its entire life so it had to be genetically engineered.  The pesticides and herbicides are the what gives you the cancer  and sickness. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 1, 2019 3:06 PM MDT
      April 1, 2019 2:12 PM MDT

Yeah.  I'll go with this.  Up to a point but now I have to go to work and by the time I get back we both won't care any more.  YOU WIN. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 1, 2019 3:06 PM MDT
      April 1, 2019 2:20 PM MDT

• I already don't care.   
      April 1, 2019 2:23 PM MDT

I see nothing wrong with it.
      April 1, 2019 2:23 PM MDT

You are what you eat! Genetically Monsterfied Organism.

GMO rice does not reproduce and so poor countries are without a consistent source of income.  Also, some of the natural rice fields are infected by the GMO crops leaving people reliant on GMO rice suppliers.  GMO crops steals farmers independence and creates dependence on some rich investors. It could also spell the end of organic crops altogether welcome to the era of Frankenstein.

Still if we end up being affected or infected and genetically modified to lose our productiveness they could reduce population growth, which let's face it, is what the elite are obsessed with.

This post was edited by kjames at April 1, 2019 3:12 PM MDT
      April 1, 2019 2:41 PM MDT

Bin it all :( 
      April 1, 2019 2:46 PM MDT

Yes, in some foods. I think the outrage is overblown. 
    I‘ve survived fluoridated water, GMO’s are a walk in the park. 
      April 1, 2019 2:49 PM MDT

I have survived on whatever food is in the supermarket whether it's organic or grown in a petrie dish.  My parents both lived to the ripe old age of 93 eating the same foods, so I think I'm going to just take my chances.  Besides, if I live to be older than 100, I will outlive my money.
      April 1, 2019 3:13 PM MDT

I like your logic.
      April 1, 2019 3:14 PM MDT