Active Now

Malizz
Shuhak
Discussion » Questions » Travel » What is the most famous landmark you have visited, man-made or natural

What is the most famous landmark you have visited, man-made or natural

Posted - April 2, 2019

Responses

Cool.
    I really like Thoreau's "Walden" book.
    :)
      April 3, 2019 7:06 AM MDT

Niagra Falls, Grand Canyon, Eiffel Tower, Statue of Liberty HA!  No one's thought of that one yet.  Yeah, that's it, the STATUE OF LIBERTY!!!!!
      April 2, 2019 8:27 PM MDT

I joined the US Marine Corps in the 1980s and served three tours of duty, mainly stationed in various bases in the Pacific, both in the US and overseas.  I also spent a few cumulative years aboard ship.  Many of the places I went to were the sites of battles and wars our country fought in, principally from the Second World War, but including some from the Korean War, too.

In answer to the question, the one place that tops them all is Iwo Jima, which was where on 19Feb1945 the 5th Amphibious Corps and other Allied units launched the largest-scale attack on enemy territory in Marine Corps history before or since. 

My ship anchored offshore of Iwo Jima in the mid-1980s and we disembarked on small boats to eventually hike inland up a high hill overlooking a battle-scarred area that has remained virtually untouched since my predecessors and brethren grappled with the Imperial Japanese Army some 40 years earlier.  Rusted artifacts such as rifle barrels and helmets could be seen scattered in the foreground, and further still, larger bulks of tanks and landing craft, equally rusted.  The battlefields themselves are off-limits in dual purpose of respect for the fallen and caution for unexploded bombs and landmines.  Our hike terminated at the Japanese government's memorial to its men and the significance of the battle. A ceremony put on by the Japanese Self-Defense Force took place there (it was conducted completely in the Japanese language, so we didn't understand word one), and after taking dozens of pictures, we hiked back down to the beach to board boats that would take us back to the ship.  Many Marines solemnly collected some of the rich, thick, sulphur-based soil for which the island is named, The Sands of Iwo Jima.

~

This post was edited by Randy D at April 4, 2019 8:37 AM MDT
      April 2, 2019 9:21 PM MDT

WOW.  What an amazing pictoral and slice of your life.   SO COOL.  SOOOO cool
      April 3, 2019 9:18 AM MDT

The hike up Suribachi, since Clinton gave it back to the Japanese the Marines can only go there once a year. They also have to fly in.  Do you know the Japanese Diet officially changed the name to Iwo Ito to wipe the shame of defeat off the record?

I do have my vial of black sand, do you? This post was edited by Archerchef at April 4, 2019 3:54 AM MDT
      April 3, 2019 9:22 AM MDT

Yes, I’m aware of the controversy surrounding the island’s name.
      I did not collect any sand.

~
      April 4, 2019 3:50 AM MDT

Awesome. I had an uncle who fought there.
      April 3, 2019 10:12 AM MDT

Vatican City/Sistine Chapel,  catacombs -also in Rome the collessium etc.
      April 3, 2019 5:46 AM MDT

Me, too. All of them. Plus Herculaneum.
      April 3, 2019 10:13 AM MDT

Image result for lizzie borden murder house

Oh, maybe it's not that famous.
    :)

This is the house where Andrew and Abby Borden (Lizzie Borden's dad and stepmom) were murdered on August 4, 1892 in Fall River, Massachusetts, USA. It's now a Bed and Breakfast. The night I spent there I was the only guest in the entire house. So, I spent a night alone in the house.

Here's a picture of the house more around 1892:

Image result for lizzie borden murder house

This post was edited by WelbyQuentin at April 4, 2019 8:38 AM MDT
      April 3, 2019 6:57 AM MDT

It even looks creepy in the last shot.  That story is like Jack the Ripper.  I have no interest because it has turned into a legend with little proof of what transpired.
      April 3, 2019 9:12 AM MDT

I'm sure you won't be surprised but I've read tons of articles, books, etc. on the event. Yes, you're right -- it is a strange legend - - there is just as much evidence that points to Lizzie, as there is evidence that strongly indicates she in no way could have done it.

April 3, 2019 7:36 PM MDT

• We visited the Wright Memorial in Kitty Hawk in the Outer Banks of NC where Wilbur and Orville made their first flight.

And we also visited Independence Hall in Philadelphia where the Declaration of Independence was signed in 1775.

April 3, 2019 7:33 AM MDT

I have visited many, probably the most recognizable are the Eiffel Tower, the Matterhorn or the Pyramids.  Most frightening Auschwitz or Malthusen among the notable Nazi Death Camps.  Most impressive the Pillars of Hercules from our deck in Spain or Siam Reap.  Best place for a glass of wine Dubrovnik or Lisbon.  My list could go on for pages.  Most of these places are under a 2.5 hour flight for me
      April 3, 2019 8:08 AM MDT

This is amazing.  I went to Jamaica once.  That is my world travels.  
      April 3, 2019 10:00 AM MDT

You will get the opportunity.  My job is a global one and I travel 38 weeks of the year on average.  For our household we also travel a lot, skiing in Switzerland/Italy hence Zermat and the Matterhorn.  Croatia for the beaches, Spain for a break, and the list goes on.
      April 4, 2019 3:55 AM MDT

• cn tower,  times square,  that big dick monument in dc 
      April 3, 2019 9:32 PM MDT