Active Now

Element 99
Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Travel » Does it bother you to sit backwards on a train?

Does it bother you to sit backwards on a train?

Facing away from the direction of travel. It doesn't bother me, but I've known some who feel physically ill that way.

Posted - April 2, 2019

Responses

No. 
      April 2, 2019 7:29 PM MDT

• I prefer sitting backwards on the train and will always choose it if I’m not in an assigned seat. 
      April 2, 2019 8:19 PM MDT

• It does not bother me. I'd often sit backwards on Amtrak going from Sacramento to the Bay Area (and sit forwards going the other way). As long as I got to sit forwards on one of the trips, I was fine. 
      April 2, 2019 9:07 PM MDT

I don't prefer it.  If it's the only option, I choose to stand instead.

~
      April 2, 2019 9:49 PM MDT

I would not be able to.
      April 2, 2019 11:15 PM MDT

I never noticed.  I do not go out of my way to look for things I can be disappointed about.  Unless it causes "car sickness" WHO GIVES A HOOT?

I never noticed this until you mentioned it.
      April 3, 2019 12:49 AM MDT

I don't like it, but if there are no forward facing seats I will sit there.
      April 3, 2019 10:37 AM MDT

I prefer forwards facing but my allocated seats for both outwards and return of a long journey I made last week were both rear facing. (Three and a half hours for that section, the whole trip using 3 separate trains.)

I prefer the window seat though. My journeys are not across vast empty plains, so I am more interested in the scenery than, say, reading. Further, I refuse point-blank to join the herd unable to travel more than three and a half minutes without immersion in a box of electronics! I don't own a lap-top anyway, and though I had my phone with me, I left it switched off for almost the entire three days I was away.

They are encouraged by modern railway coaches, on the main-line services at least, having Wi-Fi connections and standard mains sockets (for power-supplies and chargers). 

At least the modern headphones don't subject everyone within a several yards radius with that annoying, rhythmic, sibilant "psst-psst-psst" sound the older versions leaked. 

Something I have found though, if rearwards-facing but next to the window, I've tendency to try to look round, forwards. It's not so bad in an aisle seat, partly because if I did that I'd be staring rudely at the person opposite, but also thanks to a somewhat restricted but more balanced view out.

July 27, 2019 9:18 AM MDT