Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Language » Why do we still use Latin phrases for logos, mottos and legal terms? E Pluribis Unum, Semper Phi, pro bono, in loco parentis etc.

Why do we still use Latin phrases for logos, mottos and legal terms? E Pluribis Unum, Semper Phi, pro bono, in loco parentis etc.

Posted - April 4, 2019

Responses

• Well because Liberaism and codified science was defined by Europeans and European imperialism gave Europe the advantage of defining them across the world. Latin is the root of so many European languages and influenced heavily.in those that weren't .  Combine that with the Catholic  churches use of Latin that spread its use as a common language it is no surprise.  The Europeans who largely built the codified science naming conventions and spread the idea of Liberalism had a Eurocentric view and to them Latin represented a more universal language.  To them anyway. The Asians, Africans, and American Natives might disagree.  Yet,  the views of "savages" weren't something worth dwelling on. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 4, 2019 3:58 PM MDT
      April 4, 2019 1:19 PM MDT

What the heck is going on.  Are you like SMART or something?  I just gotta have you.  
      April 4, 2019 1:40 PM MDT

• Every idiot has their moment.
      April 4, 2019 2:39 PM MDT

Because we sound so clever and classless and free.

We sound like we KNOW something.  Most people don't even know what the words mean.

All my life I studied stuff that was chiefly Latin in origin be it in law or medicine.  It abounds.  

Semper Fidelis!
      April 4, 2019 1:39 PM MDT

Oy veh.
      April 4, 2019 6:59 PM MDT

* Because if we misspell one of them 99% of people wouldn't know (just like they'll can't no thats I payed some nerd to past mi high school english eggzams four me).

* It's a vain attempt to resuscitate a dead language (I've used the paddles on it for 60 years now, why is it still flatlining?  CLEAR!...)

* Because Latin teachers have tenure ... also the reason why Latin is a required subject for many college degrees (miserere nobis)
      April 4, 2019 2:02 PM MDT

I can answer the latter, "So that you have to hire a lawyer/solicitor and a barrister," to comprehend what is going on in a legal case. This post was edited by kjames at April 4, 2019 6:59 PM MDT
      April 4, 2019 3:50 PM MDT

Just so you know (in case you ever meet a US Marine), "Semper Phi" is not a motto. The motto of the US Marines is "Semper Fidelis", which translates to "Always Faithful". The shortened version "Semper Fi" translates to "Always fi". I leave the shortened version to the Marines themselves as a form of camaraderie. Only actual Marines should be using it.

The answer to your original question is: TRADITION

In addition to your examples of Latin phrases still in use today, you used Latin to ask the question: "etc.", the abbreviation for "et cetera" which is Latin for "and so forth" or "and so on". This post was edited by NYAD at June 14, 2019 3:47 PM MDT
      June 9, 2019 11:33 AM MDT

When I was in high school 60 years ago:  "Latin is a language, as dead as it can be; first it killed the Romans; and now it's killing me."

Actually, I never really understood why anybody thought that---Latin always seemed to be precise and unambiguous to me, especially in its grammar rules.

I think there is value in having an extant list of terms that peoples in various cultures and languages must understand the same way that any other person who uses those terms must understand.

Certain Latin words and phrases have the advantage of being unaffected by the typical recent shadings in understanding that currently spoken languages have developed.

That is useful of international organizations and international law.
      June 9, 2019 12:15 PM MDT