Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Health and Wellness » What type of dental problem(s) would require a 16-year-old to see a dentist* every single week for more than a year?

What type of dental problem(s) would require a 16-year-old to see a dentist* every single week for more than a year?

I have an acquaintance whose teen goes to see a dentist (*or orthodontist, or other such professional, I'm not sure which) every week for at least a year now.  I have never seen the child, not even in photos,  so I don't know if it's a matter of braces or dental surgery or what, I'm just curious to know if any of you might be familiar with that type of thing.  Thank you.
~

Posted - April 8, 2019

Responses

Perhaps your acquaintance has a steady cash flow available? 
      April 8, 2019 6:23 AM MDT

That doesn't focus on what procedure(s) might necessitate weekly visits.  And no, my acquaintance makes minimum wage.
    ~
      April 8, 2019 6:30 AM MDT

Probably orthodontics.

Weekly visits seem a bit much. Even with ortho, it's usually every couple of weeks. However, it really depends on what the kid has going on. Most people think of orthodontics as just braces, but when there are structural issues, it can get pretty involved. There are multiple devices that are used as teeth are developing/ coming in that change the shape of the mouth. At 16, the child in question has probably missed all those windows, but if he or she has severe crowding or twisted teeth, more dental intervention and monitoring would be necessary.

Restorative work doesn't typically happen in such orderly intervals, so my money's on some kind of preventative/ ortho treatment. If it was restorative treatment, the child would have finished long ago. It could be that the child has some uncommon condition which requires regular monitoring, but if so, it could be anything, and monitoring intervals would likely start to spread out more with time. 
      April 8, 2019 10:21 AM MDT

Thank you!  Even though the child was born here in the US, the family moved to the interior of Mexico about ten years ago. I don't know what kind of dental care was available there nor what challenges they faced. About two years ago, they moved back to the US.
      ~
      April 8, 2019 10:34 PM MDT

When i was a teen, I was seeing the orthodontist every month, cus i had braces and it needs monthly meetings to adjusts and do changes on the braces.
      April 8, 2019 11:51 AM MDT