Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
my2cents
CosmicWunderkind
Discussion » Questions » Family » Do you remember that one time you went on family vacation and drove to your destination?

Do you remember that one time you went on family vacation and drove to your destination?

How many times did your dad threaten to pull the car over if you didn’t stop fighting with your sister? 

Or did he just pull the ashtray out of the center console and whack you over the head with it? Good times. 

Posted - April 12, 2019

Responses

Actually went last year, to San Antonio Tx.   About 16 hrs with 8 people in the car from ages 2 to 52.  We made without having to threaten anyone. DVR players, portable games and smart phone help keep people from fighting. Of course we did not have that stuff when I was growing up. Yes, Dad did have to threaten us for fighting.  
      April 12, 2019 1:34 PM MDT

• Yeah, kids are lucky these days to have all that stuff To entertain themselves on long trips. All we had were those stupid travel sized connect four games. Those were no good when you hated your sister’s guts after 2 hours in the car. 
      April 13, 2019 9:13 AM MDT

Yep.  When I was in elementary school, my family drove from Washington State back to Maine for a vacation.  Just seeing sights along the way.
    I still remember a few places.  Vaguely. 
    I remember being too scared to go up the St Louis Arch.  And then being disappointed that the Washington Monument was closed for maintenance.
    I remember watching the pendulum at the Smithsonian for a couple hours.
    I remember we had all the windows open, driving through the Badlands ... and it still being too hot.  lol

Dad told us if he even had to warn us to behave, we would turn around and go home (no matter where we were).
    So we would take mom's glare as enough warning to behave the rest of the day.  lol
      April 12, 2019 2:36 PM MDT

• Lol yeah :) I remember the threat of turning the car around too. I took it seriously, but as an adult I now realize no way they were gonna actually cancel the trip... parents are tricky. 
      April 13, 2019 9:14 AM MDT

Oh, we knew dad would cancel it.
    He had canceled a trip to Disneyland the year before ... on the night before we were supposed to leave ... because my brother and I did something.  (though I can't remember what it was now)
      April 15, 2019 7:15 AM MDT

• Omfg, that’s child abuse lol. 
      April 15, 2019 7:25 AM MDT

• we drove down  to Florida once. it was a nightmare. I had my period and i made my parents pull into a gas station every 90 mins or so to clean my bum. also my brother got car sick and puked. it was ok tho, I like car rides. 

more recently I've driven with my so from here to Toronto. he HATES driving with me because I pee a lot. also i always control the radio and I like screamy music 
      April 12, 2019 2:46 PM MDT

• Lol, the Florida trip sounds horrible. I’m only about 4 hour drive to Toronto and I go there often enough. I hate the drive there. The 401 and the Don Valley are hell. You can’t pee when standing still in 8 lanes of traffic for 40 minutes. Faak that noise. 

April 13, 2019 9:16 AM MDT

• I hate driving in Toronto in general. its garbage. especially downtown and ESPECIALLY ESPECIALLY near yonge and dundas. its such a mess. I am grateful for the TTC even if the local torontonians aren't 
      April 13, 2019 9:46 AM MDT

• It’s  the worst, I like to try and stay downtown when go there and like you, use the TTC or just walk. But hotels right downtown can run about $500 a night so that sucks too. 
      April 13, 2019 9:54 AM MDT

• i live in Scarborough so i can have the best of both worlds 
      April 13, 2019 10:05 AM MDT

• Nice, Go Train. 
      April 13, 2019 10:37 AM MDT

My loser (bio)parents never took my sisters and I on vacation. 

I have taken my own family on many trips, by air, water and road. I have never threatened anyone with an ashtray. 
      April 12, 2019 5:21 PM MDT

• I may have been exaggerating with the ashtray ;) Did you not ever threaten to turn the car around and go home though?
      April 13, 2019 9:17 AM MDT

No, my threats were more like: “I‘ll stop and leave your butt here.“

Why let them crap on my carefully laid plans? I can have a good time regardless. 
      April 13, 2019 9:44 AM MDT

• Haha, exactly. 
      April 13, 2019 9:45 AM MDT

My family always took a trip to Colorado to visit my uncles and my aunts.  My brother and my half-brother were in a fight the whole trip but my dad never threatened to pull the car over.  He just pulled into a truck stop in Nebraska and told my half-brother to go with him.

He walked my half-brother up to the fuel desk, bought him a bus ticket home and gave him money for a cab ride from the bus stop back to our house.  There wasn't any more fighting in the car after that.
      April 12, 2019 9:06 PM MDT

• Lol! Omfg savage. 
      April 13, 2019 9:18 AM MDT

Neither of my parents were able to drive. It wasn't common when I was a kid - few people had cars.. 
      April 13, 2019 2:28 AM MDT

• What? How old are you??? Lol.
      April 13, 2019 9:18 AM MDT

Well I am in the UK remember.. and I am old.. back when I was a child, in the 70s almost no one had a car. People walked or used public transport. In fact in my wider family, there is only me, my aunt, and an uncle who can drive. We come from a family of non-drivers :P 

Needless to say my family never took me on an vacations either though.
      April 13, 2019 9:49 AM MDT

• Oh! I thought you were kidding and making an ‘old‘ joke. i guess don’t need cardboard there as much as do here :)
      April 13, 2019 9:51 AM MDT

• When I was a kid, we would drive from IL to TX every summer to visit our grandparents.  It took forever .. was always HOT, we had no A/C .. no electronics back then ... just my sister and I bickering in the backseat!  My Dad would constantly threaten my sister and I just like yours did!  For some reason though, those are some of the best memories I have!  
      April 14, 2019 9:05 AM MDT

• They’re  some of my best family memories too :)
      April 14, 2019 11:51 AM MDT