Active Now

Spunky
Malizz
my2cents
Shuhak
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I guess from day one...when homo saps appeared here...homo saps have spent all their time doing and saying stupid things. WHY ?

I guess from day one...when homo saps appeared here...homo saps have spent all their time doing and saying stupid things. WHY ?

Before language was invented homo saps did stupid things. So is stupid part of the homo sap DNA and no matter what discoveries are made or advance or progress stupid will always be part of it? If true that really sucks. Homo saps can never evolve beyond stupid? Seriously? Sheesh. SIGH.

Posted - April 16, 2019

Responses

We're born with far fewer instincts than any other animal.
    We have to be taught almost everything necessary for survival in our environment.

But we also need the capacity to solve problems if our environment changes or if we are forced to move.
    So we've evolved with an innate capacity to learn how to learn, that is, how to recognise patterns and use the information to solve problems.
    But this takes effort - easily as much effort as training to run marathons or climb mountains.

Some people dislike making this kind of effort. They learn as youngsters that they can rely on the efforts of others and so make little or none themselves. They just go along, learning the bare minimum necessary to get by - which means they're far more prone to making frequent mistakes and experiencing the set-backs. After a while, the mind-set becomes so ingrained that it becomes resistant to change, even if the changes would clearly make a huge and beneficial difference.

April 17, 2019 1:58 AM MDT

Sounds very strenuous.  Sentencing us to lives of constant training and effort.  For some kind of distant ideal of human survival?  People need and want joy and fulfilment in their lives as well as more short-term and realizable goals.   Learning to get along and go along is part of an essential process of socialization in which we learn mutual dependency.  Because try as we may we cannot do it all only by ourselves.  So we are able to learn from the mistakes and set-backs of others as well as our own.  If we make no effort we cannot enjoy the fruits of effort except as objects of charity.

Change is a fact of life. Everything changes. If we are unhappy with our lot in life perhaps we embrace change.  If we are happy with our lot in life  we are likely to be naturally resistant to it.  Will people willingly embrace a lower standard of living and less enjoyment of life and less freedom of personal initiative? 
      April 17, 2019 6:35 AM MDT

Thank you for a very helpful, thoughtful and informative reply bw. I appreciate the insight you have into it. Of course I include myself in that. Thinking is HARD WORK. Some folks are way too lazy to engage in it so they simply let in what is already put there by others...via osmosis?  I LOVE to think. I don't mind hard work. But here's the curiosity about that which continues to puzzle me. The harder I work at it the less I understand some things and the more puzzling they become. That is illogical. It is also extremely frustrating. Why do people HATE when there is no reason to except that others tell you to so you do! WHAT? Why be afraid of "the other" when you don't even know him/her except that others tell you that you must be afraid and so you are. Ridiculous! Sigh. And the beat to goes on. The more things change the more they stay the same which also makes no sense but seems to be true too. SIGH!   :)
      April 19, 2019 3:12 AM MDT

Because we can.  Bearing in mind that what is or is not "stupid" is always in the eye of the beholder.  And can be quite gratuitous as well as judgmental. 
      April 17, 2019 6:04 AM MDT

Only half of the time.  The other half we manage to get some things right or we would not have ice cream trucks.
      April 17, 2019 8:31 AM MDT

Do ice cream trucks still exist Sharon? With the ding dong bells letting you know they're in your neighborhood? That sure takes me back to the days of my childhood. Thank you for your reply and Happy Friday! :)
      April 19, 2019 3:14 AM MDT