Active Now

Malizz
Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » I wonder if the destruction of part of Notre Dame could be a great leveller? Could the world unite to contribute to rebuild it?

I wonder if the destruction of part of Notre Dame could be a great leveller? Could the world unite to contribute to rebuild it?

Posted - April 16, 2019

Responses

3 donors had already pledged over $400 million, as this morning.
      April 16, 2019 1:16 PM MDT

WOW Walt! I had not heard that! That is awesomely great! More to come maybe. Thank you for your reply and the info. Appreciate it! :)
      April 16, 2019 1:39 PM MDT

April 16, 2019 2:14 PM MDT

How can you buy a replacement for the lost relics?  
    This is as stupid as trying to restore caves that have been destroyed that have ancient paintings and carvings.

I think they should LEAVE it just as it is.  That is history.  NOT making it go away by putting up a new shiny one. 
      April 17, 2019 10:02 AM MDT

Obviously, you can't.

I wonder if the Vatican's pledge to help includes moving some relics from their storage to Notre Dame?
      April 17, 2019 10:25 AM MDT

Our news reports are saying that donations are pouring in from all over the world.

But I think world unity would take a lot more than that.
      April 17, 2019 1:49 AM MDT

Very sure that plenty of people would much rather give their money to help rebuild an artifact of Roman Catholicism than to help those less fortunate than themselves.  Well its their money so their choice.  But I think too bad there is more interest in artifacts than in people. 
      April 17, 2019 5:22 AM MDT

Interesting trivia ... regarding The Hunchback of Notre Dame 

Victor Hugo began writing Notre-Dame de Paris in 1829, largely to make his contemporaries more aware of the value of the Gothic architecture, which was neglected and often destroyed to be replaced by new buildings or defaced by replacement of parts of buildings in a newer style. For instance, the medieval stained glass panels of the cathedral had been replaced by white glass to let more light into the church.  This explains the large descriptive sections of the book, which far exceed the requirements of the story. A few years earlier, Hugo had already published a paper entitled Guerre aux Démolisseurs (War to the Demolishers) specifically aimed at saving Paris' medieval architecture. This post was edited by Walt O'Reagun at April 17, 2019 9:49 AM MDT
      April 17, 2019 9:48 AM MDT

To date, contributions for the rebuild total $700 million dollars and all victims of gun violence get is thoughts and prayers. This post was edited by Zack at April 18, 2019 12:44 PM MDT
      April 17, 2019 9:55 AM MDT

No.  

I think the Universe is commenting on the state of Christianity at present.

Now they mourn.  How about all the kids they SHOULD mourn that are being molested?  

This is just a building.  Relics are important, but relics are not worth anything if there is no understanding and spirituality, 

We care more about history and fantasy than reality.

I wish the WHITE HOUSE WOULD BURN TO THE GROUND.  That will also teach NO lesson either.  
      April 17, 2019 9:59 AM MDT

One of my favorite scenes from Independence Day:

April 17, 2019 10:20 AM MDT

The kids are mourned - now that that they are finally believed.
    Australia's Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Child Abuse has turned out to be a world leader in its thoroughness and effectiveness.
    Because of it, the perpetrators have been finally caught, taken to court, found guilty and are now in prison.
    Because of it, the Roman Catholic Church no longer simply posts an offender to another diocese to start all over again. Now the offender gets stripped of contact with children and given an administrative job (too lenient in my view but in keeping with their own principle of forgiveness for those who "repent.")
    Because of it, millions of Catholics have lost faith in the Church and have left it.

But it turns out that it was not just the Catholic Church that was to blame.
    Institutional blind eyes to child abuse (in many cases active collusion and participation all the way up to cardinals and top bureaucrats), included the Church of England, a Synagogue, state run orphanages, and failure on the part of authorities to protect children in foster care when the abuse was well known due to hospital admissions.

This does not count what happens outside institutions. According to psychologists, sociologists and criminologists, within children's own biological families, one in four girls is sexually abused, and one in ten boys. The perpetrators are 99% men, 1% women. Of the perpetrators, all were themselves severely abused as children. 

It turns out that we have had an endemic and hidden social problem of child abuse that's been going on for a very long time. 
    Clearly, we need to be doing a better job of finding ways to prevent the damage.
    I think one starting point would be widespread public education on just how bad the damage done really is - how such molestation is a leading cause of hard drug and alcohol addiction, depression and suicides.

This post was edited by inky at April 18, 2019 1:08 PM MDT
      April 18, 2019 1:05 PM MDT

I highly doubt the world is going to unite just to rebuild Notre Dame Cathedral. And, unless you are Catholic or French, most people probably couldn't care less that it burned. It's just a building. Nothing more, nothing less. The multiple millions of dollars that it would take to rebuild the cathedral would be better spent to actually help those people that are in real need. Like the homeless, starving, sick, and needy. If they do rebuild the cathedral, it won't be done because it's needed, it will be done because of ego. Religion is supposed to be built upon faith in and love of God, not how big or old a building is. As always, just my opinion. :)
      April 18, 2019 10:34 AM MDT

No.  It is not just a building.  You are simply not attached.  I get it.  There is so much to be disappointed about on a daily basis, that some building in France is just more to be upset about and who needs that?

The thing is, this is more than just a building.  This was a monument to the passage of history and there are artifacts in that building that prove our history.  There are written documents that are 800 years old and older.  There is much to mourn in the sense that a lot of proof of how we advanced and thought back then, is lost.  If you cannot see the value and loss of that?  That is something you need to learn to appreciate.

We are nothing without our history.  And if we just make things up?  We have a TRUMP world of utter nonsense.  
      April 18, 2019 11:48 AM MDT

Well it's unlikely to unite the world.. but.. donations from around the world have been pouring in. 

Personally, I think that's a good thing! 

AND I do think it should be rebuilt!
    a) Because they were actually able to save most of the contents and important pieces.. most of the most important stained glass windows were saved.. 
    b) because this isn't about religion. This is about history.... and beauty.. and the value we place on those things

I am thinking again of Maslow's hierarchy.. we start off with basic needs like food and water.. but once we have those things we look to fulfilment ...
    and if we don't have those things we struggle.

So yes, rebuild it.. 

We in the UK Have many cathedrals.. they are truly awesome, truly beautiful.. and inspiring.. not because of religion... but because of the achievements in building them..   One of the most beautiful places I have ever been is Venice.. there are so many churches and cathedrals there - they are so awesome to see..  And this is history.. to marvel at the beauty of what they build so many hundreds of years ago. 

Do you guys have cathedrals there? 

This post was edited by Adaydreambeliever at April 18, 2019 11:50 AM MDT
      April 18, 2019 11:31 AM MDT

This is just great and it turned my thinking around quite a bit.  Thanks.  I love it.

In America we have TONS of Cathedrals.  I lived in Chicago and we had tons of them there.  I think St. Peter's is in Chicago.  I am not sure.  I just took that stuff for granted back then, walking past them on a sometimes daily basis.

I am just outside Phoenix now and there are churches on every corner.  We have the GOP in my state.  RED and REDDER.  But we elected a DEM for Congress this time.  A woman.  A bi-sexual woman.  HERE IN ARIZONA.  Trump is TOAST.  See the writing on the wall, Donnie.

But, I digress.  We have tons of churches.  Mostly Christian.  I am not a Christian.  I believe in Jesus Christ. I was baptized a Catholic.  I am a Hindu Wiccan everywoman now.  And Jesus was GOD and so are we.

That is my Cathedral.  And because I think this way?  All places of worship to God are sacred to me, from Stonehenge to Puttaparthi to St. Peter's.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 18, 2019 11:57 AM MDT
      April 18, 2019 11:49 AM MDT