Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » What does your family usually have for Easter dinner?

What does your family usually have for Easter dinner?

When I was a kid we always had ham,  scallop potatoes, baked beans, devil eggs and rabbit shaped ice-cream cake for dessert. It was disgusting. I hate all that stuff. 

Posted - April 17, 2019

Responses

• No no, some of the kids were and one used  to tell me I was going to get eaten by demons because I wasn’t. My mom got mad at the principle cos I was having nightmares about it and she wanted him to stop the kids. 
      April 17, 2019 7:26 PM MDT

When I was growing up a lot of Roman Catholic kids had their own schools and they were taught it was a sin to hang out with Protestants.  We had some Catholic kids in the private schools I went to, more Jewish kids, but mostly Protestants.  No Jehovah's Witnesses in the school but I remember one black family were in our town and they were pretty nice people and my parents invited them to our house on a couple of occasions.  This was in North Central New Jersey. 
      April 17, 2019 7:33 PM MDT

• Where I live there has always been seperate public schools and Catholic schools, still are. We don’t have private and public schools here though, like in the states. The education system is pretty good here and teachers are paid well. From my understanding they’re under paid in the US. 
      April 17, 2019 7:38 PM MDT

I don't know about that.  Years ago teaching was considered more of a calling and they did it because they were supposed to believe in it and did not get paid that much.  Private schools usually paid teachers more. That all changed years ago and for a long time they have had unions and collective bargaining and stuff like that.  I would public schools where I grew up were probably pretty good in the 60s and 70s but being a pretty well-to-do community - people with big jobs etc,, country clubs, horsey set - they thought it best to send us to private schools I guess they thought that was a mark of distinction.  As an adolescent I used to hang out with town boys mostly because they didn't expect me to be smart or pretty but accepted me as imperfect as I was.  But I never really dated any of them.
      April 17, 2019 7:46 PM MDT

• I’m not sure what you mean by « town boys » I guess you mean guys who went to public schools? See there is a difference there and here :) they’re was no seperation of class that I can recall when I was a kid. Unless I was a « town girl » too :) also, if I went to a private school I probably would have hung out with the town boys too :) sounds more fun :) 
      April 17, 2019 7:52 PM MDT

Yes public school boys. The separation was mostly - our fathers had big jobs mostly in NYC and most of their fathers worked locally so people hung out mostly with their own friends.  We were always taught that the less fortunate people were just as good as anyone and my father I guess to show that bent over backwards in inviting them if there was some connection. I'm sure some of them probably resented those more well to do but that was never mentioned and people tried to learn from each other.  Not so much class differences as social differences. 

Well I was 16 before I was ever asked out by any private school boys. Town boys would put their arms around me and squeeze me and stuff like that which was pretty thrilling at age 14. 
      April 17, 2019 8:01 PM MDT

• Have you ever watched the show « Mad Men »? I’m watching that show right now while I’m on here. It’s about men who worked in NY in the 60’d.  It sounds like your life, or your fathers was like that show. You should watch it. :)
      April 17, 2019 8:05 PM MDT

Yes I remember you did mention that program to me. I have heard about that but never really saw any episodes.  That was advertising. My dad was in tools but was that same time and he worked with some of those ad people.  Sometimes he would whisk me out of school and into the city to take me to dinner with clients or people working for him so I met people like that from about mid 60s.  Of course I was too young too understand what it was all about.  Or he would take me to Broadway shows, later even nightclubs like the Copacabana - did you ever hear that old song At the Copa - well that was about that same place and my dad used to take people there. When they still had shows and famous acts and singers. That was where the first time men ever asked me to dance and I was maybe 13 and it was older men but I was there with my father and I was very formal and serious proper but of course I was feeling all kinds of things. 
      April 17, 2019 8:14 PM MDT

• Yep, I know the song :) lol I didn’t realize I had mentioned the show to you before. Some of the stories you tell about your past remind me of that show :) 
      April 18, 2019 7:03 AM MDT

Yes after you mentioned it previously I saw a DVD of one of the early seasons and read what was on it and almost bought it.  But don't know if I would have wanted to see it.  I know what the show is about.  But what is it like? What kind of a show is it? 
      April 18, 2019 7:10 AM MDT

• It’s really good. It basically focuses on a advertisement agency and the men and woman who work there. Also, follows some of their family lives. From what I’ve read, it’s very accurate to what it was like to live and work in those times. I think it’s crazy the way woman were treated in the work place back then, but some reason I’m fascinated by it all. It’s kind of a slow moving show, but it’s well written IMO. 

April 18, 2019 8:30 AM MDT

My mother always cooked a ham.   While rearing my own daughters, my best friend (who had three daughters) and I would get up very early and the two of us and our five little girls would put on sweat clothes and go to a sunrise Easter service at the park.  The Methodist Church did that service, but we Presbyterians didn't mind that.  After the service the seven of us would go to Shoneys big breakfast buffet.  The kids just loved it.  Then we would go home and they could enjoy what was in their baskets and I would usually nap.  I did not take my kids to Church on Easter because it turned into a fashion show.  After they were older we would go to Church (because they wanted to see their friends) but they agreed to not wear brand new clothing, even though they had it in their closets.  They totally got it.  The most important day on the Christian calendar was not about what clothes we had on.  And in any case, Easter egg hunting happened in the afternoon. This post was edited by Thriftymaid at April 18, 2019 7:10 AM MDT
      April 17, 2019 9:59 PM MDT

• Nice :) sounds like you gave your daughters some good memories of Easter. 
      April 18, 2019 7:04 AM MDT