Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Food and Drink » When drinking wine, which type of glass do you use?

When drinking wine, which type of glass do you use?

A) stemmed (French style) 

B) stemless (Italian style) 

C) coffee mug (ninja style) 

D) other (other style) 

Posted - April 18, 2019

Responses

• Ahhh I see, I only drink dry reds with no sugar. i used to use stemmed until I started watching sopranos and liked the stemless more. I’m pretend I’m Italian:) 
      April 18, 2019 7:24 PM MDT

Wait, someone said sandwich!

:)

April 20, 2019 8:02 AM MDT

Wine glass.  Stemmed.  Don't know that it is French. American glass. 
      April 18, 2019 7:25 PM MDT

• I think it is French, but i could be wrong. Go stemless. It’s the bomb dot com. 
      April 18, 2019 7:28 PM MDT

Glasses with stems are no longer in fashion?
      April 18, 2019 7:34 PM MDT

• Not really. Plus the stemless ones are more practical,  cos you can fit half a bottle in there  and then say you just had one glass. 
      April 18, 2019 7:36 PM MDT

Goodness.  Well at my age much less must be the rule.  One glass when I get home from work, one after I have cleaned up the kitchen and sit down to read or listen to music.
      April 18, 2019 7:47 PM MDT

• Thé one glass is bigger stemless... just saying lol. 
      April 18, 2019 7:49 PM MDT

LOLLLLLLLLLLL

Oh my. Jaimie you are headed down the Sharon HIGHWAY TO HELL.  I see the signs.  
      April 20, 2019 10:52 AM MDT

• Lol :) maybe...
      April 20, 2019 12:40 PM MDT

I'm like me dad and out of any vessel that's capable of holding it with out spilling....
    He'll use giant flower vases to drink champagne or anything hollow with a bottom to drink whiskey...
    i have to take my hat of to my dad.....he's quite inventive when he wants a drink.....Makes my hat stink a bit until it dries though....lol  
      April 18, 2019 8:33 PM MDT

• I like the giant vasses idea :)
      April 20, 2019 7:03 AM MDT

You'd like my dad then....lol
      April 20, 2019 7:20 AM MDT

• Most definitely lol :)
      April 20, 2019 7:22 AM MDT

He's rather nutty like me.....my mum says I bring out the best in him albeit I know it's the worst....lol
      April 20, 2019 7:26 AM MDT

• Haha, your family dinners must be a blast :) 
      April 20, 2019 7:27 AM MDT

Absolute mayhem when all my parents grand kids are there....every one of them are all little rouges getting up to alsorts of things...:)
      April 20, 2019 7:31 AM MDT

• Sounds fun :)
      April 20, 2019 7:32 AM MDT

No...all the kids are like little thunderbolts tearing about everywhere....lol
      April 20, 2019 3:09 PM MDT

A---so I can pretend I am an enologist---(it's all about how you hold the glass when you taste it).
      April 18, 2019 8:39 PM MDT

• You can fit more wine in the stemless :) I’m not sure what’s a enologist?
      April 20, 2019 7:04 AM MDT

An oenologist (also enologist) is an expert in the fields comprehended by the "Viticulture and Oenology" designation for oenology-training programmes and research centres that include schooling, training, and education in the outdoor and indoors aspects of wine and the making of wine.

(Holding a wine glass by its base (foot) below the stem is a sign that you have extensive wine knowledge in some circles)
      April 20, 2019 10:24 AM MDT

effete snobbery comes to mind.  

I am reminded of that Columbo episode about the wine.  Does it taste good?  Fine.  That is Fine wine to me.  This was my favorite when I could drink.  No hangover. That is how and what I based my opinion of wines.    I think it is WODERFUL to study the history, agriculture and recipe for the best wines and why they are the best.  But?  It attracts a community of wealthy snobs; kind of like golf.  Not all golfers are snobs.  Many are amazing and fun and do it for the right reasons.  It's the posers that ruin everything.  And wine drinking can really bring out the boors.  

After your commentary with Don Barzini, I am wondering if you both think you are just so BORED with everything on here that you wonder why you bother.  It makes me leery of you both.  That attitude is very off-putting to me.  

Pouilly-Fuissé

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search
    Not to be confused with Pouilly-Fumé from the Loire Valley.
    Pouilly-Fuissé Wine region Village de Solutré.jpg
    Vineyards around Solutré-Pouilly
    Country France Part of Burgundy Sub-regions Mâconnais Grapes produced Chardonnay Wine produced Pouilly-Fuissé

Château de Pouilly with adjacent vineyards.

Pouilly-Fuissé (French pronunciation: ​[pu.ji fɥi.se]) is an appellation (AOC) for white wine in the Mâconnais subregion Burgundy in central France, located in the communes of Fuissé, Solutré-Pouilly, Vergisson and Chaintré. Pouilly-Fuissé has Chardonnay as the only grape variety.

While Pouilly-Fuissé is the best-known part of Mâconnais, there are no Premier Cru vineyards within the AOC, as the local growers at the time the regulations were being drawn up never applied for this. The AOC was created on 11 September 1936.[1] The area used to be known simply as "Pouilly", but when the AOC laws were introduced, it was split into three: Pouilly-Fuissé, Pouilly-Loché and Pouilly-Vinzelles.

Despite the lack of official classification within the AOC, some climats within Pouilly-Fuissé have better reputations than others.[2]

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 20, 2019 10:35 AM MDT
      April 20, 2019 10:28 AM MDT

It is not unusual that when I make a comment that indicates (whether I am kidding or not) some specialized knowledge that I may or may not possess, I get a response that basically is intended to say, "Hey, I'm just as smart as you."

So why did you decide to post this particular comment at this time?

You posted this sub-comment:  "I am reminded of that Columbo episode about the wine. Does it taste good? Fine. That is Fine wine to me. This was my favorite when I could drink. No hangover. That is how and what I based my opinion of wines. I think it is WODERFUL (sic) to study the history, agriculture and recipe for the best wines and why they are the best. But? It attracts a community of wealthy snobs; kind of like golf. Not all golfers are snobs. Many are amazing and fun and do it for the right reasons. It's the posers that ruin everything. And wine drinking can really bring out the boors."

The character of Columbo was funny, smart, and clever.  But your definition of "Fine wine" lacks probitive value, simply because I have no idea of your degree of exposure to the various grapes used in wine making, the climatic and other idiosyncrasies of the various wine growing regions and the "palate memory" you may or may not have developed from your wine drinking experiences.  And while headaches are thought to be associated with the congeners present in the wine, I am not aware of any wines that are ranked on the basis of fewest headaches caused.

And again, you said, "After your commentary with Don Barzini, I am wondering if you both think you are just so BORED with everything on here that you wonder why you bother. It makes me leery of you both. That attitude is very off-putting to me.

My commentary with Don Barzini had nothing to do with boredom---it was a reference to the unfortunate habit that many people who post on Q & A websites seem loath to ask whether their questions contain what they think are "facts" but are actually errors.

So you made the wrong assumption when you thought you knew what I was referring to.

And so your reaction to both Don Barzini and I may need to be rethought---And of course, you have no obligation to do so; but regardless, rest assured that neither Don Barzini nor I will feel diminished in any way.

Edit---deleted a prepositionx This post was edited by tom jackson at April 20, 2019 11:19 AM MDT
      April 20, 2019 11:17 AM MDT

No. I was not making any assumptions.  I was hoping you would answer and clarify.  I am so glad you did.  This was wonderful, I am glad you answered and I loved that Columbo episode.  

What I did not love was your take on my question and I do stand behind my feeling that it was snarky.  What are we doing here DON?  LOL.  It was hilarious, don't get me wrong.  I am laughing. But it was kind of two smart guys being disgusted by a moron.  LOL 

I was being FUNNY because there are people on here that will answer this and give the most amazing commentary.  It is fodder for my commentary.   SO.  I am hoping you remember that this may be why you both are on here.  It provides a good back and forth.  And I LOVE your knowledge.  You are amazing.  Thank you for answering me.  
      April 20, 2019 11:24 AM MDT