Active Now

Randy D
Malizz
Danilo_G
Spunky
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » What is something small that stressed you out when you were a child?

What is something small that stressed you out when you were a child?

mine is when I was at the grocery store with my mom and she would leave the lineup to go ‘ get one more thing’ I would have a meltdown panic if it came close to time to pay and she wasn’t back yet. TOO STRESSFUL. 

Posted - April 18, 2019

Responses

It seems that I often had dress shoes that were too small.   My mother was very frugal (the apple doesn't....) we got shoes when they were worn out...that was more important than how they fit.  I would always take them off during Church and if I could, I would take off my socks and run home barefoot (we lived right behind the Church). 
      April 18, 2019 7:08 PM MDT

• Small shoes would be stressful. :(
      April 18, 2019 7:11 PM MDT

Hurt.  My feet were wide and I rarely got shoes that actually fit.
      April 18, 2019 7:14 PM MDT

• I don’t remember having shoes too small. I do remember I only got new shoes once a year right before school started. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 18, 2019 11:29 PM MDT
      April 18, 2019 7:15 PM MDT

We did too unless she could still squeeze our feet into our old ones.  We wore saddle oxfords in elementary school and they were hard to wear out.  Mine were white with navy centers.  I had to polish them every weekend.
      April 18, 2019 7:55 PM MDT

• I‘m not sure what saddle shoes are :) I got a pair of outdoor shoes, in door shoes for gym class and winter boots every year. I never got any kind of dress shoes that I remember. 
      April 18, 2019 7:56 PM MDT

April 18, 2019 8:13 PM MDT

• They look like bowling shoes to me :) cute :)
      April 18, 2019 8:13 PM MDT

Not being bright or popular. 
      April 18, 2019 7:42 PM MDT

• I wasn’t bright or popular either:) some Reason it didn’t bother me. 
      April 18, 2019 7:46 PM MDT

I wanted to understand things and fit in.  At least somewhat. I think I felt more rejected and outside than stressed. Bothered me but not a lot - which is why they were small things.  
      April 18, 2019 7:58 PM MDT

• I’ve always kind of felt like an outsider myself too. I wasn’t very attractive when I was young but I did grow into my looks as I got older. It doesn’t change the way I feel about myself in that regard that much. I’m very good at getting along with people now and engaging, but I still feel like an outsider, always. 
      April 18, 2019 8:01 PM MDT

My mother was beautiful and she wanted me to be beautiful.  Was just my older brothers and I was their only girl. When I did not turn our beautiful she blamed both herself and me. She had such plans for me but no way could I cut them because I didn't feel I was worth anything.  I misbehaved, did drugs, stayed out nights, ran away from home at 17.  Which was - I was a big disappointment. But I had to find a way for myself I could feel good about myself and relate to others.  So really I don't think there was anything else for me to do.  Because I couldn't make it their way - I just wasn't good enough to.  I was plain, gawky, awkward, and tongue-tied.  But getting away from where I grew up I was so surprised to find that I could fit in by just being myself.  Which was a revelation. 
      April 18, 2019 8:15 PM MDT

• I left home at an early age too. I was over weight as a child But lost all the weight before high school. My mom would call me fat and ugly as a child. Then when I lost all my weight she would call me a slut and a whore when I was attractive. Lol. I was about 14, never had sex in my life and being called a slut by my mom. She had some mental issues and i know it’s not her fault, now. But still. Moms can mess you up for sure :) 
      April 18, 2019 8:21 PM MDT

Not fun. I feel badly you had to go through that.  My parents although in public they played the perfect couple" were sort of a mismatch and dad turned to alcohol (partly because of his business pressures) and my mother to pills to help her "cope".  Goodness no one of us even knew those words growing up!  But after I was gone and I would visit it was clear that is what she thought of me though she would have never said those things.  My brothers were my lifesavers when I was at home and going through all the adolescent angst - as they were sane and popular and smart and positive. 
      April 18, 2019 8:31 PM MDT

• Oh don’t feel bad for me :) I wouldn’t talk about it here if it still really bothered me. I just mentioned it cos I could relate to your relationship with your mother. It’s good you had your brothers as a life line. I had a close relationship with my sister and we got each other through our childhood too :)
      April 18, 2019 8:37 PM MDT

Well the point is we can't let it bother us because we have our own lives to lead. We cannot raise our parents.  So I think best to just say OK they did as well as they could and let it go at that.  there were so many good things along with not-so-good things. 

Now is after my bedtime so must respectfully retire!   Thank you. 
      April 18, 2019 8:41 PM MDT

• Good night :)
      April 18, 2019 8:42 PM MDT

Being left at daycare. I hated that place! I couldn't wait until my Dad picked me up. It was on a military base and all the kids were rotten brats. When he came, I was so excited and very happy to leave. I can still see those rotten kids on the playground pushing little ones like me down.
      April 18, 2019 7:48 PM MDT

• I remember the first daycare i ever went to. It was a nursery school to prepare me for real school. They used to put me in the supply closet by myself  cos I would have temper fits cos  I didn’t want to be there and I was too loud . So I feel you on the not like daycare :)
      April 18, 2019 7:53 PM MDT

That is so awful :(

As a single working mom back in the early 80's I had to put my son in daycare, and my son HATED IT...it still breaks my heart remembering him crying and begging me not to leave him on his 1st day of daycare at 2.9 years old....thus why 18 yrs after my 1st son was born I CHOSE to quit my career/job after I got married for me as their mother to raise his younger siblings WITHOUT a village. 
      April 18, 2019 11:46 PM MDT

Funny, I don't recall my mom doing that, but when I shop with my youngest sister, she does that all the time and there have been times when I've had to unload her stuff because she was still shopping!  That stresses me out now!
      April 18, 2019 7:56 PM MDT

• Lol:) it’s the worst! 
      April 18, 2019 7:57 PM MDT

• i used to be super hypochondriac when i was younger.  i thought i had all kinds of diseases and would beg my mom to take me to the hospital. i thought i had tetanus, polio, genital herpes etc.  
      April 18, 2019 8:46 PM MDT