Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » An Answermug friend brought up ice cream trucks. I haven't seen/heard any in decades. When was the last time you saw one? Didja buy?

An Answermug friend brought up ice cream trucks. I haven't seen/heard any in decades. When was the last time you saw one? Didja buy?

Posted - April 19, 2019

Responses

We have one that comes around daily, we hear the music. I have not bought in decades.
      April 19, 2019 5:57 AM MDT

You do? Do the kids run out and stop him and buy anything? Thank you for your reply m2c.
      April 19, 2019 11:16 AM MDT

My kids are 17 and 18. So not they are not worried about the ice cream man. They did when they were younger. 
      April 19, 2019 12:40 PM MDT

• When I was a boy, we lived on the corner of a cul-de-sac. There were many children that lived on that short street. I recall hot summer evenings when all of us ran barefooted as we played our various games in the middle of our little street. One of the great treats was the appearance of Jim, a middle aged black man who drove a Chevy pickup with an ice cream freezer in the truck's bed. Six cents could get you a popsicle, banana was my favorite, a dime would get you a chocolate covered cone. Sometimes Jim had freshly cut sugar cane on the truck that he would cut into small pieces and give to the kids. I remember a frozen treat that he sold that we called a "buried treasure". It had a plastic handle with a small figure (a pirate, an elf, a cowboy, etc) that was attached to the handle but buried under the ice cream. We collected those things like we did baseball cards. I can close my eyes and smell the aroma of honeysuckle vines and taste a banana popsicle once more.
      April 19, 2019 8:26 AM MDT

Thank you for calling me a friend.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 19, 2019 11:16 AM MDT
      April 19, 2019 8:32 AM MDT

You're welcome. Thank you for the video. I watch the reruns very often. That was a time in my life that was spectacular. Good memories.
      April 19, 2019 11:17 AM MDT

I see a couple every summer ... but never see anyone buying.
    Probably because most kids are inside playing video games, or have been told of "stranger danger".
      April 19, 2019 8:42 AM MDT

I saw a crime show once were the ice cream man was a killer.  I think small children should be accompanied by an adult.  Or even more than one person should go up to the truck.  I don't trust anyone any more.  Sad, but true.  
      April 19, 2019 8:46 AM MDT

So if nobody buys how do their survive financially? Gosh we kids used to rush out and wait for him. We'd hear the music a block or so away and go out to wait for him. i loved the orange sherbet/vanilla ice cream stick so I usually got that. There were maybe half a dozen kids on our short block. It was a wondrous thing on a hot summer's day to get an ice cream and enjoy it with the other kids. Maybe your neighborhood isn't typical Walt. Maybe the kids in other neighborhoods rush out to buy something! Thank you for your reply. I hope you're wrong about the "stranger danger" though come to think of it what a perfect ruse to attract kids to you? SIGH. :(
      April 19, 2019 11:22 AM MDT

Of course, there's THIS scenario:

April 19, 2019 8:49 AM MDT

Not a Stephen King fan. Not ever. My sis used to be and she loaned me a book, the title of which I forget, and I could not get through it. I just put aside and gave it back to her. I know when I'm defeated. There's no way I could read one and not have it give me NIGHTMARES for weeks. I'm still that little kid that got very scared of scary stuff. Some love to be scared. I never did. Go figger! Thank you for your reply Walt!  :)
      April 19, 2019 11:24 AM MDT

I had a couple friends, growing up, they would read Stephen King's books.
    They always put the book in the freezer, before going to sleep.
    I have no idea how that was supposed to "protect" them, and they wouldn't explain to me.  LOL

I can watch the older versions of his movies, because they seem corny now.
    But I can't watch the modern versions.  lol
      April 19, 2019 11:27 AM MDT

They put the book in the freezer? That's a new one on me. Kind like wearing a tinfoil hat so the aliens won't suck out your brains?  I wonder what kind of lives the horror storytellers have? But I don't wonder enough to investigate it. Different strokes.  Thank you for your additional comment Walt. But you know some folks love to be scared. They go on rides at amusements so they scream bloody murder! Weird!  
      April 19, 2019 11:30 AM MDT

• there are a bunch where i live, they start coming through around may and stop in September-October. i bought a few times, a choco taco once and another time one of those spongebob heads with the gumball eyes 
      April 19, 2019 8:53 AM MDT

I've never heard of what you bought god. But then my ice cream truck times was many many decades ago. I'd buy the orange sherbet/vanilla ice cream bar because I loved it. Once in awhile I'd get a Fudgesicle. Even an ice cream sandwich on occasion. I guess a choco taco is a cone shaped like a taco shell with ice cream in it? A  spongebob head with gumball eyes? Sounds kinda like you'd be eating a cute cartoon character. Thank you for your reply god and Happy Friday! :)
      April 19, 2019 11:27 AM MDT