Discussion » Questions » Animals (Pets/ Domesticated) » What should you expect when getting a pet euthanized?

What should you expect when getting a pet euthanized?

Apologies for the morbid topic. Wondering if anyone has personal experience with this or any advice in general how to make the process easier to deal with. Going to have to say goodbye to a 17 year old feline buddy of mine soon. Any responses are appreciated.

Posted - April 20, 2019

Responses

It's no easy task for any person to do I found.....
    i went with me dad to have our Alsatian put to sleep.....it had cancer of its testicles ,bowels and front Paw 
    It quite destroyed my dad who is a big man and had to help him as I've never seen him in so much distress....

The day we took him ,he was ever so spritely and endear to go out in the car.....
    We were both there as his paw was shaved and watched as the light in his eyes fadded as he'd died....

It effects me still just talking about it....To watch the dog suffer daily was far worse.....There is no way of knowing how much pain an animal is suffering.....Their is no pain release medication available for animail I think either that can be administered at home.....if there is I've never heard of them...

It was good to know he wasn't stuffing any more....
      April 20, 2019 3:39 AM MDT

Had a similar experience
    with my 17 year old sweetie.
    Had no choice...A tumor had wrapped
    around her stomach and she couldn't eat anymore.
    It tore my heart apart. She was such a sweetheart
    Loved her so much...
         It's been a few years...
    seriously, she was my heart and soul. She gave me so much love.
    And as I respond to your question, tears are streaming down
    my face...I miss her so much.
       She will always be in my heart. I will always love her
    and keep loving thoughts in my heart forever of her.
         A couple of years back, a beautiful cat showed up at my back door
    and said she was moving in. Similar looks...a Calico...just 
    like she was sent to me from above to spend some time with me...
       You'll get through this, maybe a lot of tears, keep him in your heart,
    and he will always be a presence in your heart...

April 20, 2019 9:46 AM MDT

Beautiful reply; brought me to tears, too. 
      April 21, 2019 8:05 AM MDT

Death.  It's a guarantee.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 20, 2019 9:52 AM MDT
      April 20, 2019 9:51 AM MDT

It's one of the responsibilities that we pet owners must fulfill as a fitting response to a lifetime of service and love that our pets freely give to us.

My personal philosophy is that nothing that is good will ever cease to exist in at least some form, and my personal theology is that every creature that we call a pet actually belongs to an angel who lends that pet to us until it is time for that pet to return home.

(Fanciful---perhaps, but it is quite consistent with one of the great Christian apologists' thoughts, (i.e., C S Lewis) as developed in his "The Chronicles of Narnia," to wit: 'there exists a deeper magic to the universe.")

There is a nationwide service available (but unfortunately not everywhere in the US) from lap of love.  We used them for our German Shepherd when it became necessary.  Basically, a vet comes to your home and your pet can take comfort from dying at home and being close to you in his final moments.

Here the website link:  https://www.lapoflove.com/

Also, if you have never seen the poem The Rainbow Bridge, it's worth a read.  Here's that link: https://www.rainbowsbridge.com/Poem.htm

Finally, before the time comes, call your vet to ask how the vet performs this necessary task.

Take care.
      April 20, 2019 10:12 AM MDT

Well from the Vet you should expect dignity, compassion and information  When I had our dog Sundance euthanized I had the Vet come to our house to do it because I figured his soul should be released into familiar territory. It was a comforting thought and my advice to you is try to find comforting thoughts to held make it easier. The Vet was very dignified and compassionate which was helpful plus she was very informant she let us know what Sundance would or wouldn't feel and even though I was hoping for a last minute miracle she assured me - no its time which was helpful. The Vet also went beyond the call of duty she helped me carry him to his final resting spot then after I covered him up she picked a wild flower and placed it on his grave. Sundance is gone but not forgotten plus I kept in contact with the lady that raised his daughter then I got to see one of Sundance's grandson then his great grandson  and I could see a little bit of Sundance in all of them. Cheers! 
      April 20, 2019 10:50 AM MDT

Nothing makes the process "easier." I'm sorry. It's a loss. No matter how you look at it, you're still losing a family member. 

A few years ago, I had to put my Australian shepherd down. He was old, had terrible arthritis, and his muscles had atrophied. Pain medication was the only option at that point, but even then, it wasn't wholly effective and he wasn't really "living." He'd just lay around and yelp when he moved. Putting him to sleep was the kindest thing I could do and was what the vet recommended. 

I took some comfort in knowing he wasn't in pain anymore. If I had kept him alive, it would have been for my sake- selfish- not for his. I knew I was making the right choice, but that did not make it any easier. I also had time to talk to him a lot beforehand. In the days leading up to it, I knew it was coming, and so I'd just sit with him and love on him. I feel like he knew and understood. 

Our vet was really compassionate. I stayed with my dog until it was time for the procedure, but they sent me away during. I was allowed to come back and say goodbye after. There were lots of options as far as memorializing him. I could have had him cremated and kept the urn. I feel like there were other options as well. None of those seemed right to me, but I could see how some people might want to go that route. 

I grieved quite a bit after. Everything that reminded me of him made me sob. His dish, his collar, his leash... even looking at the doggy door made me cry. Maybe a week or two after, I decided I needed to remove all reminders of him. I gathered up all his supplies and took them to the pound as donations for the animals there. I wanted something good to come of his passing. 

While we were there, my kids and I met a black lab. She was perfect in every way. Not too excitable, but greeted us with enthusiasm. We ended up bringing her home. While I don't necessarily advocate for replacing a pet right away- each person has to heal in his or her own time- but being able to donate supplies to the pound and rescuing another pup helped us heal. Even though he passed, I feel like multiple lives were saved via adoption and donations, so something positive came from it all. 
      April 20, 2019 11:36 AM MDT

Back in the early 70s, I was responsible for feeding my grandmother's pet cat while she was on vacation.  The outdoor cat was hit by a car. It was still alive but had been run over and was critically injured. I called all the area vets but only one answered the phone who could euthanize the animal if I brought it in.  So I rushed it to the vet. But instead of injecting the cat with the usual overdose that is typical, this vet hooked the cat up to some sort of electric shocker machine. I was watching from the waiting room and had no choice in the matter. Then I had the job of telling Grandma what had happened to her kitty. Incidently, the vet was Dr. Bill Miller, a famous pro wrestler from the 50s and 60s. 
      April 20, 2019 2:37 PM MDT

Most importantly, know in your heart that what you're doing is a kindness. 

The vet usually gives you the option to stay with until the end, or to say goodbye before. I chose to stay until the end. It's heart-wrenching, but I wanted to be with my loves. 

If you speak with your vet office, they can let you know exactly what to expect. Most prefer to do this at the end of the day, if that's an option. They can talk to you beforehand about options for cremation, so you don't have to deal with that on the day. They'll probably offer to take your payment info in advance, too, so you don't have to deal with that either. 

When your pets are your family (as all pets should be, in my opinion), you'll grieve as you would losing any other family member. Give yourself time to grieve. 

Sending healing energy and positive thoughts your way. 

April 21, 2019 8:24 AM MDT