Active Now

Danilo_G
Malizz
Randy D
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Are you an "ELITE"? Were you born into it or did you EARN it? What the heck is an elite anyway?

Are you an "ELITE"? Were you born into it or did you EARN it? What the heck is an elite anyway?

Posted - April 22, 2019

Responses

Have no idea and very much doubt if I was ever on anyone's list of the "elite".  My father worked very hard and to the detriment of his health happiness to provide a comfortable upbringing for us kids.  Well I guess not always comfortable as I left home when I was 17.  From that point on I took no financial assistance from my parent s for the rest of their lives.  I finally lucked into a corporate position where I was able eventually to do sufficiently well I was able to earn enough  to help others as well as being able to afford nice things for myself.  After my father's death his company was sold and after my mother's death fifteen years ago the realized profits were divided between myself and my two brothers.  
      April 22, 2019 8:10 AM MDT

"Elite" are those who are treated differently than everybody else.
    Politicians are "elite" because they exempt themselves from the law.
    Police are "elite" because they can (quite literally) get away with what would be murder if the average citizen did it.

The "elite" set (or enforce) the rules for everybody else.  But they are not bound by those same rules.
      April 22, 2019 8:33 AM MDT

What do I have to do to be one Walt? Slaughter someone? Thank you for your reply! :)
      April 22, 2019 12:28 PM MDT

The first part is simple ... operate outside the law.

The second part is more difficult, and is what separates the "elite" from the "commoners".  
       When you're caught - don't get prosecuted, let alone punished.

April 22, 2019 12:40 PM MDT

The term "elite" has no concrete or objective meaning. While many of us have unique abilities and qualities that can lead to certain rewards, such as the "elite" NYC high school and Ivy League universities that I was fortunate enough to attend, nothing comes from nothing and anything worth achieving generally takes effort and hard work. In other words, there's no free lunch.

Seems to me that "elite" is mainly a term used by some folks to describe others of whom they're envious, often for nebulous reasons.
      April 22, 2019 8:41 AM MDT

According to the dictionary, "elite" means the choice part, cream, the best of a class, the socially superior part of society, a group of persons who by virtue of position or education exercise much power or influence.

Using those particular definitions, I can say I am none of those nor have I ever wanted to be. :)

April 22, 2019 9:11 AM MDT

Guess they leave me out as well!
      April 22, 2019 9:16 AM MDT

Looking at our society as a whole, it seems that being an elite isn't all that it's cracked up to be. Many of the elite don't experience the bad and ugly of life. I have and it helps to keep a person humble. I like and am thankful for who and what I am and what I have. :)
      April 22, 2019 9:38 AM MDT