Active Now

Danilo_G
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » Finance » Do you know of any kind of item that is very old, clean and good shape but has little or no antique value?

Do you know of any kind of item that is very old, clean and good shape but has little or no antique value?

I was in a used bookstore one time,  a guy came in with a book he found was about 130 years old but was disappointed when the dealer told him unfortunately the author is an unknown person and book has no value. 

I bought a 1906 American silver dollar from a guy in a bar once for $20. Coin dealer said no thanks has no value because too many were minted and no demand. 

Posted - April 23, 2019

Responses

My mother found a book back in 1980 (?) at a garage sale. It was a 1959 printing of 'Introduction to Honda Motor Company'.  I'm into old motorcycles, so the price of 25 cents was worth it. I held on to it for years and this big Honda collector found out about it and eventually gave me $100. (US) for it.  
      April 23, 2019 7:09 AM MDT

My first wife had an aunt who could easily have been described that way.

Edit  Both not only passed on, but are dead, dead, dead---Like Mark Twain, I have read certain obituaries with pleasure.  I once told that aunt (who raised her) that my greatest concern was that she would turn out like the aunt.  

Yep, she did. This post was edited by tom jackson at April 25, 2019 7:41 AM MDT
      April 23, 2019 7:35 AM MDT

That is a very specialized body of knowledge and always changing with the fads and fancies of collectors.   Nothing is worth anything unless there is someone willing to buy it.  If you have ever watched American Pickers on TV you will know the kind of trash that brings in the good money.   People scrap all kinds of things constantly that might be worth something to others but how would they know?  Which just makes them worth more since there are fewer of that item to be had.  Since I have no interest in learning that body of knowledge and keeping up with it I just go with what I like no matter what others are or are not willing to pay for it. 
      April 23, 2019 7:55 AM MDT

No , i dont know much about antique things. The only thing deemed 'old' that i had in the past was old nintendo videogames... I was a seller on ebay, i was selling old nintendo things and it still has a high value for those games.
      April 23, 2019 11:52 AM MDT

The value of an item is based on what the buyer is willing to pay. However, if an item has emotional value then usually it is priceless.

April 24, 2019 1:53 PM MDT

Can't say I do ... but I see plenty of the opposite.
    Things that are sold as "antiques" just because they are old and decrepit.
      April 24, 2019 3:21 PM MDT

Everything in my fossil collection.
      April 25, 2019 7:42 AM MDT