Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Religion and Spirituality » If you believe in God have you ever thought it might be a idea to make a usefu kind of suggestion for Him?

If you believe in God have you ever thought it might be a idea to make a usefu kind of suggestion for Him?

Dear God Great Creator of All things..  for the purpose of helping to relieve pain and suffering for humans and all species would You be so kind and merciful to create a gland in our bodies that would secrete a substance to relieve extreme pains? Thank-you amen.

If God would answer prayers for once I would actually begin to believe in him.

Buddha tried prayer for some time to try help those who were suffering but to no avail so then he wisely determined that a creator God probably does not exist. 

Posted - April 23, 2019

Responses

There are endorphins, natural pain reducers produced by the body. Also in cases of extreme pain the body goes into trauma which blocks pain as well. I crushed 3 vertebrae in my neck...no pain. I had a bruise on my hip that was more painful. 
      April 23, 2019 5:25 AM MDT

Our body generally needs the means to relieve long term delibitating pain caused by things like injury/burns, disease, etc. Some species are created with the means to produce various toxins to cause pain,  sickness and death to their victims so why couldn't we be created with a gland that produces a substance to relieve extreme pains? .

This post was edited by Kittigate at April 23, 2019 6:59 AM MDT
      April 23, 2019 6:56 AM MDT

I just told you we are. 
      April 23, 2019 7:27 AM MDT

The body's natural pain relief effect is too mild to be very effective for most people who experience extreme chronic pain. 
      April 23, 2019 7:41 AM MDT

OK but chronic pain does not materialize for no reason. Occurs because of bodily trauma suffered or because of poor lifestyle and nourishment choices.  Get rid of those causes and it goes away. This post was edited by officegirl at April 23, 2019 8:08 PM MDT
      April 23, 2019 8:24 AM MDT

When pain 'goes away' it often comes back. Ya gotta make it STOP! This post was edited by Kittigate at April 23, 2019 8:44 AM MDT
      April 23, 2019 8:43 AM MDT

And how about diseases of congenital origin?
      April 23, 2019 9:32 AM MDT

If the current inflection of “God” is indeed all-knowing/omniscient, what purpose would such a suggestion serve? He would surely have foreseen it.
    Would it not be just as effective (or futile, depending on how you see it) to suggest that no one be forced to endure severe pain at all?

It strikes me that the supposed Creator of the universe has taken such great pains to obscure His existence. Given the state of this “Creation”, non existence may be His best excuse. 
      April 23, 2019 6:34 AM MDT

I guess if it were not for PAIN then God would have to find some other means than the hell fires to torture sinners. 
      April 23, 2019 7:11 AM MDT

The various faiths that observe God already do, in this life, via the “holy trinity“ of fear, guilt and shame. 
      April 23, 2019 7:58 AM MDT

You misunderstand  the Holy Trinity.  Which in Christianity is an interpretation of  how God is described in the Bible in terms of "God in Three Persons" - those being God the Father, God the Son (Jesus) and God the Holy Spirit indwelling believers.  Fear, guilt, and shame are natural with any kinds of expectations sacred or secular.    Fear was the historical basis of respect  in that we were bound to respect anyone who has the power of life and death over us.  Thus God, including everlasting life and death. Biblical concept of shame (actually used for many words with similar meanings)  has to do primarily with the mental state of humiliation as a result of sin and  departure from the law of God and the rejection it brings not only from God but from secular society as well. Guilt is not a developed Biblical concept but the Bible teaches that we are responsible and accountable for our actions thus it becomes our responsibility to reconcile the broken relationships with God or men which have occurred as the direct or indirect result of our sin. And of course in the Atonement of Jesus  we see God's mercy at work doing the reconciling. 
      April 23, 2019 9:03 AM MDT

Actually, you misunderstood my response. I get the Triune Godhead well enough, I just analogized 3 of the more pervasive conditions traditionally perpetuated by clergy in the dissemination* of their doctrines. 

*One has to actually accept the claims to render any credibility to them. I have found no compelling aspects to the Judeo-Christian narrative, other than how its adherents vary so widely in their practices of it.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at April 23, 2019 9:35 AM MDT
      April 23, 2019 9:14 AM MDT

Oh sorry. In a lot of churches they preach or accept some secular stuff as well and try to pass it as doctrine for whatever their reasons.  I know I have been connected to congregations where they preached or wanted us to do things which were not in The Bible!
      April 23, 2019 9:31 AM MDT

Make no mistake, I do appreciate your thoughtful responses, and I can see you have a good grasp of what you believe. 
    Would that more people could say the same. 
      April 23, 2019 9:41 AM MDT

Oh thank you.  But I know I should not even involve myself in these discussions and should leave them to those of you who are better prepared for them and so enjoy them more. 
      April 23, 2019 9:47 AM MDT

I wouldn’t sweat that, OG. If you have something to say, you have every right to say it here. 
    We can learn a great deal from those who don’t share our views. 
      April 23, 2019 9:54 AM MDT

"Would that more people could say the same."

RAmen to that.

(For those who may not get it, look up Pastafarianism.)
      April 23, 2019 10:34 AM MDT

Less interpretation than explanation---generation, spiration, and Hypostatic Union.
      April 23, 2019 9:37 AM MDT

If one chooses (uh-oh---just can't get away from "free will" as part of God's plan) to believe in God, one might as well buy the whole coordinated "Room to Go" and accept (for purposes of this discussion) the proposition that God "so loved the world that He gave His only begotten son" to redeem mankind.

In that case, it would seem to me more likely that we do not understand (perhaps not even a little bit) the value of suffering in the overall picture of salvation and redemption.

Perhaps ""The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, But in ourselves, that we are underlings." 

[Hey, It is April 23rd---National Talk Like Shakespeare Day (among others).]

April 23, 2019 7:08 AM MDT

'The value of suffering' that seems to suggest that taking pain medications is an affront to the will of God. This post was edited by Kittigate at April 23, 2019 7:52 AM MDT
      April 23, 2019 7:20 AM MDT

Your response emphasizes my point:  that we do not understand the "value of suffering."
      April 23, 2019 7:25 AM MDT

In the Army, suffering (of a type) was the primary tool of “character building”. 
    Perhaps we might apply that here...
      April 23, 2019 10:00 AM MDT

You say, "If God would answer prayers for once I would actually begin to believe in him."

Well of course you would---you eventually wouldn't have any choice in the matter because it would be so obvious to you.

God doesn't seem to want to be believed in just because you had no other choice after He gave you incontrovertible proof of His existence.

(Although, on a one on one basis, I have found He provides evidence of His existence to individuals through a large accumulation of unanimous facts.)

Edit:  (I speak only from my own experience.) This post was edited by tom jackson at April 23, 2019 7:21 AM MDT
      April 23, 2019 7:13 AM MDT

I don't think unanswered prayer is a sufficient reason to not believe but for many non-believers it might have been a good start to give some serious and critical thinking about existence of a supernatural creator. 
      April 23, 2019 7:29 AM MDT