Active Now

Randy D
Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » For those who believe that humans should not eat meat, are there any carnivores or omnivores in the animal kingdom who shouldn’t either? ~

For those who believe that humans should not eat meat, are there any carnivores or omnivores in the animal kingdom who shouldn’t either? ~

Posted - April 24, 2019

Responses

Please...... Vegetarian stands for lousy hunter. Now the omnivores and carnivores who should not eat meat are the ones eying me for dinner. They can eat anyone else whom they fancy however, just not me
      April 24, 2019 9:25 AM MDT

Are you in the jungles of Africa?  How are you typing?  I imagine all those predators are not far away.  Oh wait.  They ARE far away,  and endangered.

I suppose you could maybe use that argument if you WERE anywhere on earth where you are being attacked by animals.  Maybe you should try bringing your shooting machines to the Bronx Zoo and climb into the gorilla cage or the lion cage.  Not too tasty, but those cows that you kill should not harm you at all.  I mean you eat steak and probably all the animals that DO NOT HARM ANYONE.

Not that this is a reason to off anything.  Because they could HARM you?  So could a lot of things harm you.  A car can harm you. Why don't you shoot those up too while you are at it.
      April 24, 2019 9:29 AM MDT

Not Africa this week, and I was not offing anything in my comments. 

Now have I been stalked by a predator, yes.  Was it necessary to kill the predator, only once.
      April 24, 2019 9:04 PM MDT

No.  There are not.  

This is the stupidest argument of all.  

Why do we have to act like them?  This is their survival instinct.  Going to McDonald's and eating your fill in no way mimics anything about any animal alive.  

Animals do not capture and enslave and then slaughter other creatures.  They do not fill them with hormones and force feed them for months and even years so you can stuff your face with a juicy burger.

If this is your argument?   Other creatures eat one another?  This is no argument at all.

If you treat animals like your slaves and do nothing to prevent their misery?  That is the POINT.  

No sandwich is worth the life of an animal that suffered what they suffer so you can eat something that you don't even NEED to eat.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 24, 2019 3:19 PM MDT
      April 24, 2019 9:33 AM MDT

• There is a actually a sizable group of Transhumanists and vegans who believe we should genetically engineer predators to become herbivorous.

Humans are meant to be omnivorous the science all says so.
      April 24, 2019 10:40 AM MDT

An obligate carnivore does not have the choice not to eat the flesh of other animals. In the wild it would soon die.
    Cats, for instance, go blind if not fed meat. They require high levels of vit A and cannot absorb it from plant foods.
    No vegan would argue that a pet cat should live its life disabled by blindness to save its soul.

Animals can and do have altruistic emotional impulses --
    as exemplified by the hippo who saved a zebra from a crocodile.
    (Zoologists have recently been discovering that such examples are far more common than previously believed.)

But animals do not have the neuronal physiology to allow them to be capable of language, logic, or moral thinking.

Humans can consciously override their instincts and desires for pleasure.
    They can have conscious awareness of short, mid and long term consequences.
    Humans can exchange complex abstract ideas and communicate their moral and ethical thinking -- this writing being an example.

Since humans can meet their nutritional needs without eating animal proteins, they have the capacity to choose not kill.
    There are about five different ethical arguments for choosing a vegetarian or a vegan diet.
    One can take one's pick of perspective: animals rights, environment, economics, health and religion or philosophy.

For a well-reasoned exposition of the topic which discusses all possible moral positions, look up
    Peter Singer's Practical Ethics, 1979, Cambridge University Press,
    or
    Francis Moore Lappe's Diet for a Small Planet, 1971, Ballantine Books, now available free as a PDF.
    ~

I have often noticed that meat eaters become defensive in the company of vegetarians.
    Perhaps it's because they've met a few of the evangelistic types and want to pre-empt the anticipated Bible-bashing.

I believe each of us should be comfortable enough with our ethical choices that we don't feel the need to get defensive,
    or else argue our own position with confidence and ease.

I believe it is at least worthwhile to think through the ethics of others with respect to one's own values.

This post was edited by inky at April 25, 2019 8:17 PM MDT
      April 24, 2019 3:05 PM MDT

Excellent reply! I'm sending you a friend request right now.

:)
      April 24, 2019 3:21 PM MDT

Pigs, Hogs or whatever you want to call them. They even eat their own kind. In our world, they would be cannibals. They are disgusting creatures. Except for Wilbur.

Image result for wilbur the pig
      April 24, 2019 7:44 PM MDT

thats up to thern
      April 30, 2019 5:43 PM MDT