Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » "Once you take away the RIGHT TO VOTE you are moving down a slippery slope". Per Bernie Sanders. Agree/dis/why?

"Once you take away the RIGHT TO VOTE you are moving down a slippery slope". Per Bernie Sanders. Agree/dis/why?

He says EVERY CITIZEN has a right to vote. EVEN MURDERERS. EVEN TRAITORS?

Posted - April 26, 2019

Responses

No. Felons should not be allowed to vote and certainly not from jail. That is stupid. 

Now, I could be open to allowing a felon the opportunity to earn their voting right back. After they are out of prison completed any parole and do not have any other law infractions for at least 10yrs. Proving that they were really rehabilitated.
      April 26, 2019 5:45 AM MDT

I strongly disagree. Why? First off, it will open up prisons to another item that can be abused. by both inmates and employees. Second, this is just a ploy by the left trying to find as many votes as they can, to retain power. Third, murderers and traitors had absolutely no regard for the rule of law or the Constitution when they committed their crimes so what makes Bernie or others like him think that murderers and traitors deserve the right to vote? However, like my2cents says, if after an extended period of time they can prove that they are rehabilitated then yes, give them a chance. :)
      April 26, 2019 6:37 AM MDT

• The only thing that I can add to your thoughtful response, is the fact that the right to vote is already being extensively abused by those in authority, outside of prison walls. You are correct in your assessment that this is a ploy to build and maintain a power base outside of the rule of law. The loss of freedom and civil rights is the penalty one pays for crimes against society. So should it be. 
      April 26, 2019 6:53 AM MDT

I agree, the right to vote is extensively abused and has been for some time. You are also correct about the loss of freedom and civil rights. To be frank, though, those are losses that I would rather not experience. Unfortunately, there are those who either think that losing freedom and civil rights can't and won't happen, or they simply don't care if it did. :)
      April 26, 2019 10:38 AM MDT

Maybe Bernie can show us where the Constitution gives anyone the "Right" to vote?

Voting is a privilege.
    Privileges may be taken away, if you break the law.

I don't understand how anybody can't see the problem with allowing people in jail to vote.
    Do we really want to allow people being punished for disobeying laws, being able to decide on creating/removing laws?

April 26, 2019 7:14 AM MDT

I wonder how many innocent people who were framed/railroaded don't get to vote Walt? Also being put in jail for smoking pot takes away your voting rights or do I have that wrong! I dunno. Your final argument is logical and I can't argue that. But it's moot. These days there is no law other than what Dondonjohn orders which billybarrROYCOHN will enforce. And I'm gonna ask a question about Jeffrey Beauregard Sessions comparing him to billybarrROYCOHN. Betcha you can guess where that one's going! Thank you for your reply! :)
      April 26, 2019 8:03 AM MDT

• YES.   When we have industrial.prison complex that runs on prisoners = profit and we incarcerate 25% of the worlds entire prison population.  When 1% of the population is incarcerated at any one given time. When we have a stupid,  misguided, expensive tax payer funded, and ideals War on Drugs...... YES,  IT IS TIME TO GIVE THEM THE RIGHT TO VOTE.... Maybe then some voices can be heard and some things done to make a more just legal system,  repeal laws that do not work or better society, and possibly start to lower the amount of crime and the over sized and unbalanced prison population.  We turn out prisoners and felons at a huge clip that isn't matched by anyone in the developed world.  None even come close. That suggest there  is a major problem baked into the system.  Or,  you ha e to believe that our fellow American's and American society is criminal by nature.  Take your pick This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at April 26, 2019 10:57 AM MDT
      April 26, 2019 10:14 AM MDT

is this excon? LOL 
      April 26, 2019 10:43 AM MDT

• Ha!
      April 26, 2019 10:50 AM MDT

Some of you reminds me of him.  
      April 26, 2019 10:53 AM MDT

• He couldn't stand  me.  We didn't see eye to eye on many things but he does apply his views evenly for the most part.  He was usually even with them.  Which is more important than anything really.
      April 26, 2019 10:57 AM MDT

• I don't understand how anyone can accept voting and repress ration to be a privilege and not a right.  Especially when they want to say there are "fair elections"  or " the people.have spoken "

Look.at our unbalanced incarceration rates,  they clearly show there is a major problem with the law books and that they are not working and are corrupt.
      April 26, 2019 11:01 AM MDT

Voting is not a Right ... that would mean that we have a Right to a certain type of government.
    We do not.

April 26, 2019 11:13 AM MDT

I don't like just anyone voting.  I have said it before and I say it again.  

You cannot vote unless you know the issues.    There has to be a license earned to vote.  You have to take classes and you have to all pass the same classes.  This is a right not some tribal gang up to get as many bodies as possible to chime in on something they have no idea about.

How is it FAIR for me to vote for Richard Nixon when I have no idea who he is.  And I vote and he is NIXON for godsakes.  Same with TRUMP.   This guy got in office due to ignorance, not because everyone knew what they were doing when they cast a vote for him.  Most of them were influenced by WIKI LEAKS.

I don't have all the answers of HOW to get this new rule established, but it should be enacted soon.  We need to know environmental issues.  We need to know some foreign relations and what that means, we need to know what our senate stands for and what our house represents for us.  Most people do not even know what is in the Constitution and most people do not even know who their congressmen are much less what they stand for.  Or WHO they stand for.  

This is not a guessing game.  This is the GAME OF THRONES come to life now.  AND WINTER IS HERE.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at April 26, 2019 10:31 AM MDT
      April 26, 2019 10:23 AM MDT

• So you hate democratic systems and think the power should be in the hands of a preselected and approved few.  

Your idea is basically how most dictators "win elections".....You're well on your way to a one party state with no significant dissent .
      April 26, 2019 10:36 AM MDT

No.  Nice try.  NOT  Do you know what a progressive is? This is one who is not tied to the old ways of doing things and certainly not the old ways of DEFINING THINGS.  Of course I don't want it in the hands of a selected few.  OF COURSE this is full of worms. However, there has to be some accountability.  Wouldn't you attest to this fact?  Why have a group of hillbillies who have no clue what a vote even means, stand up for something they cannot even explain.  Tell me there is a compromise and a solution here, dude.  OF COURSE I NEVER WANT THE VOTE TO BE IN THE HANDS OF THE "EDUCATED" either.   Maybe I am chasing rainbows.  I get sick of the OLD ways. They are NOT the best.
      April 26, 2019 10:41 AM MDT

• You aren't really much different than a regular fascist if you believe this.  

You specifically mention "hillbillies"  what about the uneducated ghetto as well?  Why cherry pick if we are going to be honest?  Fact is there are dumb assets on both sides and in every region and culture,  it turns out to be a wash.

What you are describing is a fascist idea and exactly the type if thing the Nazis and Fascists did.  You're idea here is anything but progressive and besides,  progressive isn't a clearly define position and has little actual meaning.  The original " progressive"  was Teddy Roosevelt,   yet those today who identify with the label have little to nothing in common with the original.progressives.  No what,  you view here isn't progressive,  it is actually very regressive and how it used to be back when we had slaves.  You're asking for a return to the old ways when voting came with " requirements and exemptions".
      April 26, 2019 10:48 AM MDT

WOW.  I have reached the inner hysterical overly caffeinated in you.  My inner hoc has touched yours.  HAAAAAAA

Slow down.  I am not a fascist.  You misinterpret my use of hillbilly.  I am not talking about a group of people.  I am talking about any Chinese, Japanese, Americanese rednecked moron who just thinks like he lives in a tribe of him and his relations who he probably scrwed the night before.

BUMS.  Any BUMS ANY WHERE. Some of them are in jail.  Many MANY are NOT.  (see? NO FACIST)  

BUMS constitute the true problem.  They can be tolerated these (I DON"T MEAN HOMELESS PEOPLE) bums of society.  They can be helped if possible. What they CANNOT be is the heaviest representation of the American VOTE.  NOT.  I am SORRY.  

I want to know what right a person who picks their nose and could care less about anything has the right to even have a job, much less have a vote.  These people, black, white, hill or billy need to answer some freaking questions before they get a ballot.  OKAY? 
      April 26, 2019 10:59 AM MDT

• Fascist
      April 26, 2019 11:02 AM MDT

Oh yeah?????  I'll take your facist and raise you two judgmental knee-jerk reactors.
      April 26, 2019 11:26 AM MDT

Gee, Rosie, your question made me think of a question, to wit: 

Is an uninformed electorate (guilty of consequent ignorance---the lack of due knowledge in a subject and the basis of all stupidity---the cancer that will eventually kill our democratic republic---or will the fact that we elect our representatives and don't directly implement majority rule ---as a check on the power of stupidity in large groups (aka, democracy)---provide enough time for the American people to learn both the method and the importance of how to choose a president who will not work against our values and ideals.

Personally, I don't have the patience to answer all the replies I might get to such a question or I would ask it. 
      April 26, 2019 11:06 AM MDT

I think Bernie might be conflating civil rights and civil liberties.  One can freely choose a course of action that results in losing one's civil rights---e.g., a murderer (one who kills illegally) loses his right to liberty as a consequence of his illegal activity.  One may choose to act or not to act, but one is not free to choose the consequences of one's actions.

Civil Rights and Civil Liberties

Civil Rights and Civil Liberties

People often confuse civil rights and civil liberties. Civil rights refer to legal provisions that stem from notions of equality. Civil rights are not in the Bill of Rights; they deal with legal protections. For example, the right to vote is a civil right. A civil liberty, on the other hand, refers to personal freedoms protected by the Bill of Rights. For example, the First Amendment's right to free speech is a civil liberty.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/civil_rights

April 26, 2019 11:18 AM MDT