Active Now

Element 99
Danilo_G
Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » The measles outbreak is now in 22 states. Hundreds are quarantined in California universities. Have you been vaxed? Your kids too?

The measles outbreak is now in 22 states. Hundreds are quarantined in California universities. Have you been vaxed? Your kids too?

Posted - April 28, 2019

Responses

I was born before there were such vaccinations and I had rubella, measles, mumps, chicken pox and whooping cough, so I developed my own immunities.  I am definitely in favor of vaccinating children with whatever prevents them from spreading diseases that could kill them.  I do wonder, though, whether having all these vaccines diminishes one's own immune system from working completely.  My sisters and I have rarely been sick with anything more serious than colds, bronchitis or other minor illnesses.  Is it because we are very lucky or because we had all those childhood things that strengthened us?
      April 28, 2019 8:22 AM MDT

That's a good question to ask a medical professional L. Thank you for your thoughtful reply. :)
      April 29, 2019 12:16 PM MDT

This is proof that we are totally devolving.  Who has to worry about measles anymore and now THIS?  This is horrible.  
      April 28, 2019 8:25 AM MDT

It was totally gone for a couple of decades allegedly but then well too many parents refused to allow their kids to get protected and this is the result of the inaction. Different strokes. They can leave their kids vulnerable/unprotected and let them die I guess but they don't have to right do that to other people's kids. They don't care. No surprise there. Thank you for your reply Sharon.
      April 29, 2019 12:19 PM MDT

Got the triple antigen and polio shots. The others weren't around early enough, I got measles, mumps, chicken pox. 
    My kids got all their shots - including HPV in their teens. That's a relatively recent one. My son got rubella a fortnight before he was due for the shot. That's not serious unless you're a foetus.
      April 28, 2019 9:30 AM MDT

I think I caught almost everything. I do remember getting polio shots so I was protected against that. I'm pretty sure I got chicken pox and maybe even measles. I do know that the measles virus can cause shingles which is very painful. What worries me are the superbugs that are outwitting our ability to create antbiotics to kill them. They are adjusting to them and reinventing themselves "outwit" them and successfully doing so. Thank you for your reply R and Happy Monday! :)
      April 29, 2019 12:28 PM MDT

Actually, Rosie, the singles virus is the same as the chicken pox virus, not the measles.  
      April 29, 2019 6:29 PM MDT

Either vaxxed or had the disease. (I got chicken pox 5 times before a vaccine came out).
      April 28, 2019 10:10 AM MDT

YOU DID? I thought if you got the disease it would immunize you against a recurrence! Clearly that isn't true! Wow! Five times eh? Bet your mom was beside herself trying to figger out how to protect you! Thank you for your reply Shuhak! :)
      April 29, 2019 12:30 PM MDT

They say that once you've had chickenpox you can't get them again (shingles not included).  However, in rare instances a person can get the disease more than once.   For me, each subsequent occurrence was less severe that the previous one (my last one was when I was in my teens).  I just hope that doesn't mean I'll get shingles as well (despite any vaccine).
      April 29, 2019 1:51 PM MDT

I had measles, chicken pox and mumps when I was a kid. I am immune, but I did have my kids vaccinated.  
      April 29, 2019 12:26 PM MDT

So having the disease SHOULD immunize you from a recurrence right glenho? One of the respondents on this thread said he got chicken pox FIVE times! That's scary. I'm gonna ask. Thank you for your reply and Happy Monday! :) This post was edited by RosieG at April 29, 2019 12:31 PM MDT
      April 29, 2019 12:31 PM MDT

I had to get blood work done for a job several years ago. They said I was immune to all of those. I had to get vaccinated for Hep B, that was the only thing I was susceptible to.
      April 29, 2019 12:40 PM MDT

Wow! You must have very STRONG blood glenho! That's amazing. Thank you for the additional information. I appreciate it! :)
      April 29, 2019 1:01 PM MDT