Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Never pass up an opportunity to repeat yourself. Once you've memorized the script given you by others just keep it up. Why?

Never pass up an opportunity to repeat yourself. Once you've memorized the script given you by others just keep it up. Why?

Because if you repeat it often enough perhaps one day you will finally have convinced yourself that what you say is true. You will have convinced even YOU to believe!

Besides everyone knows that ENDLESS REPETITION is good for the soul. Good for the mind. Good for the heart. Good for the spirit. Not so hot for the intellect but then intellect is a byproduct of the long ago and is currently obsolete. Forbidden. Despised.

Posted - April 30, 2019

Responses

Not sure why you would want to make us feel ashamed for just being ourselves.  Some of us do not have the greatest intellects and never will and could no easier come up with something entirely original every time we type than we could fly to the moon.  So should we commit suicide because of that?  I don't think so because originality is not any more true or real than things we have heard a million times.  And if it has to be then we are only concerned with novelty rather than the ultimate truths.  I say better to go for what we do best and leave all the other stuff to those who like it and are good at it. 
      April 30, 2019 8:40 AM MDT

Good answer. :)
      April 30, 2019 8:51 AM MDT

Notice the question involved "the script given you by others."

A "script" in that sense is the antithesis of "being ourselves."
      April 30, 2019 9:47 AM MDT

:):):)
      April 30, 2019 11:26 AM MDT

Script: the written text of a stage play, screenplay, or broadcast specifically: the one used in production or performance. (Merriam Webster)

I live my life one day at a time. When I wake up to go about doing whatever I choose to do, I meet head on and deal with whatever may come my way. No script needed and no script wanted. :)
      April 30, 2019 8:59 AM MDT

Not the type of script Rosie is asking about.
      April 30, 2019 9:48 AM MDT

This is called "SPOON FEEDING" Tom.  I get so tired of it.  
      April 30, 2019 9:49 AM MDT

Spoon Feeding is to "provide (someone) with so much help or information that they do not need to think for themselves."

Scripts and the script controls are imposed (in my answer above I mentioned that kids are princes and princesses until some parents---with malice or by accident---turn them into frogs) by the parents by default; and neither the parents nor the children necessarily know what's happening.  

[If you want to read a good book on raising children, Your Child's Self-Esteem by Dorothy Corkhill Briggs is one of the best scripts you can consciously give your child (i.e., healthy and high self-esteem).  All my boys asked me to tell me the names of the books I read to know how to raise them so they could pass on what they received.]

I would call it "SPOON POISONING."
      April 30, 2019 10:08 AM MDT

April 30, 2019 11:38 AM MDT

April 30, 2019 11:28 AM MDT

Bingo! :):):)
      April 30, 2019 11:27 AM MDT

April 30, 2019 9:43 AM MDT

i am having GREAT DIFFICULTY with the concept of CHOOSING  WHOM WE BECOME. At birth our DNA decides that doesn't it? I would not have chosen to be impatient. I would not have chosen to be UNFORGIVING. I would not have chosen to be demanding and temperamental and dismissive and judgmental.    I would have chosen to be a female YODA. I would have chosen to be more like my dad. A very kind man. I hever ever heard him say anything unkind about anyone ever. The most he ever said was "people do their best and some people's  best is not very good". I would have chosen to be artistic. I am not remotely artistic. I would have chosen to be confident  and not sweat bullets when I had to get up in class to speak. I would not have chosen to be a loner or painfully shy or to have skipped grades making me younger than the others and  earn their scorn because they said I was a "teacher's pet". Who chooses that? Thank you for your reply tom. Your turn. This post was edited by RosieG at April 30, 2019 11:36 AM MDT
      April 30, 2019 11:35 AM MDT

Well, of course there are some things we cannot change---our genetically determined height for example; (but of course that can be negatively impacted by malnutrition, especially in 3rd World countries).

But change is a law of our being---we are constantly moving from potency to act; from what we can be to what we are.  

Unfortunately, we can of course change for the better or for the worse; by intent or default.

But the important thing is that each of us CAN reprogram our subconscious mind to react differently to stimuli.

That takes a lot of work, energy, and time---and since the last two of those three are not unlimited, we may have to prioritize and work on the things we deem most important.

I have mentioned before that the psychiatrist who diagnosed our youngest son's ADHD said she could treat mine as well.  She only does medication management (to optimize brain chemistry) but no therapy. 

I did ask her for a referral some years ago for cognitive therapy (a type of psychotherapy in which negative patterns of thought about the self and the world are challenged in order to alter unwanted behavior patterns or treat mood disorders such as depression.)  I wound up working with a psychotherapist that I had worked with before with regard to the referral of a friend of mine to both the psychiatrist and the psychotherapist.

About 3 years after I began therapy, during my once every six months with the psychiatrist related to medication, she commented that making the changes in my life that I was pursuing in my life was quite unusual for someone of my age to be doing.

My response was simply, "I had no choice; not making them would have been unimaginable."
      May 1, 2019 7:57 AM MDT