Active Now

Element 99
Discussion » Questions » Life and Society » When all is said and done, what will you honestly be able to say you did for your fellow man?

When all is said and done, what will you honestly be able to say you did for your fellow man?

*Man meaning humankind, not just males. 

Posted - May 6, 2019

Responses

Sharing the truth about existence
      May 6, 2019 6:40 AM MDT

• nothing because life is meaningless and we're all here by coincidence 
      May 6, 2019 6:44 AM MDT

True or not, we can still make other people’s journeys through this brief existence better through our own efforts.

I guess you don’t get that part: charity, goodwill, paying it forward, volunteerism.  This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 6, 2019 2:29 PM MDT
      May 6, 2019 2:20 PM MDT

I try not to do any harm.  I try.   

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 6, 2019 2:37 PM MDT
      May 6, 2019 7:53 AM MDT

You help me.
    :)
      May 6, 2019 8:09 AM MDT

May 6, 2019 8:48 AM MDT

Of course.  It is also the Wiccan Rede.  And, I believe the prayer and intent of any prayers to call forth energy concerning white magic.

White magic always includes a healing.  So the Hippocratic oath fits nicely.  

I just read your thread and I guess it is all a guess what Hippocrates said or meant by now.  I really don't care one whit.  When there is speculation that happened centuries ago, I just get bored.  I am not interested in researching who said what just to prove WHAT?  I mean really.  Unless you are some scholar in Greek history does it really matter any more?  I realize that it DOES matter in the grand scheme of who said what and how history really unfolded, but it is impossible to actually tell.  Unless, of course, you are some researcher who has money enough to explore the archives and have access to the exact language that was spoken and written, WHO ACTUALLY KNOWS?  

That was a long time ago.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 6, 2019 2:21 PM MDT
      May 6, 2019 8:51 AM MDT

Like Sharonna said, I, too, try.
    For me, I guess I simply try to be a caring and loving person to others. And to myself (which indirectly, I'd like to think, will benefit others, too).
      May 6, 2019 8:09 AM MDT

You help men feel good about themselves. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 6, 2019 8:23 AM MDT
      May 6, 2019 8:15 AM MDT

I love that!
    :)
      May 6, 2019 8:24 AM MDT

Like breeds like, and hate breeds more hate, as dog breeds dog. We are directly influenced by the culture around us. If that culture is rife with generosity and goodwill, or conversely, hate and intolerance, so will it’s members tend to assert these things.  
      May 6, 2019 2:35 PM MDT

"I told the truth."
      May 6, 2019 8:31 AM MDT

Isn't that relative?  
      May 6, 2019 9:58 AM MDT

Nope---Truth exists and is the proper object of study.

Is the earth flat or round?---while a small enough surface of a sphere (or oblate spheroid) can be essentially indistinguishable from a plane, the earth cannot not accurate be said to be both round and flat.
      May 7, 2019 8:54 AM MDT

I believe truth is merely what we accept as so, not necessarily the same thing as fact. 
      May 6, 2019 2:23 PM MDT

Certainly we must act on what we think to be so---what else can meaningfully determine our actions?

I would define truth as the "conformity of the mind to that which exists."

And it is accurate to say that the human intellect cannot be put in possession of its object by some exterior agent that takes it there. There is for us no knowledge except our own knowledge, no truth except self-acquired truth.

And for each of us, what we "accept as so" is indeed self-acquired knowledge about reality that we conclude to be true based on our experience and sense of how well our explanation "fits" reality.

That allows two people to be intelligent, well educated, logical and yet come to different conclusions about reality and explain them more than adequately to anyone interested---and yet still be "wrong" about whether something is true.

This post was edited by tom jackson at May 7, 2019 12:59 PM MDT
      May 7, 2019 8:38 AM MDT

I'm working on it. 
      May 6, 2019 10:20 AM MDT

Being surrounded by idiots, I'm amazed that I haven't killed anyone. I guess it's not in me to do that anyway.
      May 6, 2019 10:24 AM MDT

So we’ll call this one “allowing others to be idiots”. (?)
      May 6, 2019 2:24 PM MDT

As I said. It's either that or I kill them.
      May 6, 2019 2:26 PM MDT

One day a man was walking along the beach, when he noticed a boy hurriedly picking up and gently throwing things into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “Young man, what are you doing?”

The boy replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

The man laughed to himself and said, “Don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can’t make any difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish, and threw it into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…

“I made a difference to that one.”

---

I may not make a difference to mankind as a whole, but I do make a small difference to individuals when I can. That is enough for me. 
      May 6, 2019 10:43 AM MDT

That is the idea, at least to me. Even one life affected makes a difference. 
      May 6, 2019 2:25 PM MDT

not sure
      May 12, 2019 4:54 PM MDT