Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Animals (Wild) » Are garden snails cannibalistic scavengers?

Are garden snails cannibalistic scavengers?

There is a bike path near my home that's bordered on both sides by lush vegetation that is a habitat for hundreds of snails. One side is very sandy and full of cacti and other such plants that require little water. The other side is irrigated. Every morning, snails migrate across the concrete path toward the water, and dozens are smashed underfoot or under bicycle tires. I have noticed that at the scene of many demised shell-draggers, sometimes a live cousin can be seen camped out in pause of the journey to water works.  I never hang out long enough to examine the actual activity taking place because, well, because they do everything so slowly, but it makes me wonder if they're feeding off of the pureed carcasses?

~

Posted - May 6, 2019

Responses

Yes. They will eat anything including other snails.
      May 6, 2019 7:27 AM MDT

yes. They will eat anything including other snails.
      May 6, 2019 7:40 AM MDT

Perhaps they bury their dead. They might be more evolved than we think.
      May 6, 2019 9:50 AM MDT

Wait, does that mean there might be little snail judges presiding over civil cases for the filing of snail restraining orders?  Yikes!
    ~
      May 6, 2019 12:05 PM MDT

The snails are evolved enough not to need restraining orders.
      May 6, 2019 4:47 PM MDT

Oh. I see. Thank you for the clarification.

Hey, wait . . .
    ~
      May 6, 2019 5:38 PM MDT

Thats an interesting story. I do know that snails eat matter in decomposition; they clean the ground by eating decomposed matters. 

So maybe they also eat their brothers' bodies. 
      May 7, 2019 10:34 AM MDT

not that i know of
      May 12, 2019 4:50 PM MDT