Active Now

ENG / LLVF - formerly of AB
Discussion » Questions » Human Behavior » Is someone who thinks there is an afterlife and murders another, better than an athiest who does the same? It seems more chilling.

Is someone who thinks there is an afterlife and murders another, better than an athiest who does the same? It seems more chilling.

Assuming intent is the criteria for judging the act.   From the killer's point-of-view, sending one off the Earth forever is one thing, but sending off an individual if you think there is nothing after this life is truly chhhhhilllingggg.  I think the average atheist really respects life.  Their outlook is the bravest outlook one can have.  

Posted - May 8, 2019

Responses

Let’s see, from this atheist’s POV, if someone sacrifices another person’s life to a delusion, is it better than killing them absent said delusion. 
    No, I can’t see one murderer as better than the other. I wonder how many homicides are committed with this much consideration. 

Here’s a thought: if someone murders another to assure their own place in an afterlife, (ie, to please their god) is THAT any better? 
      May 8, 2019 4:23 AM MDT

On the basis of intent only.  I am killing you.  You go to a "better place" according to my movie in my head.  Or, you go nowhere ever again.

I totally agree with you.  Don't get me wrong.  I do.  However, think about it.  What athiests think is the END is far worse than what the holy people think.    Murder is murder.  OF COURSE.  Who cares if some sanctimonious moron kills you or some atheist.  

But to condemn someone to NOTHING FOREVER?  That is cold.  I get it.  People with AIDS kill other people all the time by infecting them.  Why should anyone else matter if you are dying, the AIDS sufferer thinks.  (very sick mind) 

Why care about eternity when you KNOW that there is none once you croak?  I always admired athiests for NOT having this attitude.  Many, like yourself, are amazing in their brave outlook.  You are totally compassionate and embrace the fact that we are all Bozos on this Bus.

But, that is not my question.  My question is just.... a thought.  

May 8, 2019 9:18 AM MDT

IF we say "yes" to your question ... than Christians shouldn't have a problem with abortion.
    After all, to them, it should be viewed as returning innocent souls to God ... as the soul has not had time to sin.
      May 8, 2019 9:05 AM MDT

GUESS WHAT?  THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I DO THINK.  And I am not a "Christian" per se.  I do believe that innocent parties do not suffer the fate of the guilty.  The fetus will come back.  It may be it's karma to have to incarnate over and over and over because they were a soul who aborted babies themselves.  Who knows?  But that is as good a take as any as to why abortion is not an evil.

If they do NOT come back?  There is NO God.  So what is the difference?  GOOD POINT.  GREAT POINT, WALT.  The best answer I could ever give to why Christians are full of it with their sanctimonious b.s. of trying to force their agenda on the rest of creation.

May 8, 2019 9:21 AM MDT

No murderer is better than any other murderer. 
      May 8, 2019 9:11 AM MDT

Basically you are right.  But that is not what I was asking.   I was asking if the intent of the Christian murderer is a more humane intent than that of the atheist.  

You, as a Christian, believe that there is a heaven and hell.  Ok.  The dead guy goes to heaven.  What did the murderer do but send him to his reward.  The atheist, however, believes this is all "chance" there is no "god" and we cease to exist.  That is a doom that is horrifying to consider.  That is what murder is to the atheist. This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 8, 2019 12:21 PM MDT
      May 8, 2019 9:24 AM MDT

A Christian cannot be a murderer.  Unless it was before the murder.  You cannot follow and worship the God of Israel and murder His children.

It is not up to us to send anyone to their reward or punishment.  
      May 8, 2019 9:47 AM MDT

Yes.  I would have said that too.  If you are a Christian, you don't commit such atrocity.  But, if, in the heat of the moment, you lose it, kill someone and are totally repentant, let's say.  Now you have been forgiven, because you have admitted you sinned and want to be back with God and make amends, so you go to jail.  You are still comforted that the soul rests in peace.

The atheist does not have any comfort at all.  That has to gnaw at the psyche (or not) This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 8, 2019 12:13 PM MDT
      May 8, 2019 12:12 PM MDT

How would you know it the soul is at peace?  We do not know, only God knows only He knows our heart.  The murderer could have ended someones life before they had the chance to be saved.
      May 8, 2019 12:21 PM MDT

Most murders happen on the spur of the moment, regardless of religious affiliation or without.  However, you would think it concerning if a Christian murders someone when he knows he must follow the 10 commandments, the teaching of Jesus Christ to love thy neighbour as thyself, and that giving into his evil inclination will result in being burned up with the chaff.  I can't comment on other religions, but at least most believe in treating others how you would like to be treated and unfortunately get twisted somewhere in extremism.

As an atheist (having been an atheist),  it is more complicated. Most atheists are decent people, with morals and ethics. However, if you look a the reality of the thinking of most atheists, they base it on logic and reason. So let's look at life through this lense...

1) This world evolved by random event, with no ultimate meaning,  and no matter what you do in this world, whether you are a murderer, a rapist, a child molester, a scientist, a charity worker, an aid worker, a doctor, a nurse, a supermarket manager, a surgeon, a banker, a solicitor, a shopkeeper, and if you have children who excel and make a mark on the world for good or for bad, or their children, so on so forth, when they die, and when the world ends, it all adds up to zero.  No matter what you do, the total is always zero.

2) You are merely a bunch of random neurons firing and chemicals, without free will, life can have no meaning. 

3) You are governed by your genes, your upbringing, and your environment, you have no free will, life can have no meaning. 

Some would like to argue that life has meaning in the moment, but then look at the facts I have listed above, it clearly cannot, and even if you "feel" life has meaning, this doesn't mean it does, in fact it cannot if you do not believe in an existence after life, or free will.  Therefore, atheists who accuse theists of believing in God because they "feel" like God exists, are no better than they are in "feeling like life has meaning, and concluding that therefore it must."  Therefore, maybe we are born with a gene that makes us believe that life has meaning in order to avoid the true nihilistic reality that it doesn't. 

So if an atheist who feels life has meaning murders someone, then there is no difference to that of a theist.  However, if a nihilistic atheist murders because he knows by logic and reason that there is no meaning, no punishment, and no free will, then that may appear cold to us, because we want to believe that life has meaning including ours and everyone else's.

This post was edited by kjames at May 8, 2019 12:10 PM MDT
      May 8, 2019 11:50 AM MDT

I gotta read this one, KJ when I get back from my errands.  You are always good for a insightful perspective on these odd issues of intent and the spiritual.  Looking forward to reading this.  See you soon.... 
      May 8, 2019 12:09 PM MDT

i dont think so
      May 9, 2019 5:53 PM MDT