Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » ARCHIE. What Harry and Megan named their first-born son. Why would they saddle him with a comic book character name?

ARCHIE. What Harry and Megan named their first-born son. Why would they saddle him with a comic book character name?

Posted - May 8, 2019

Responses

Because England is not America and Archie is not a comic book character.  It is a name. An OLD name that came way before Archie.  

Do you seriously think everyone reads Archie comics the world over?  People barely remember that comic strip or  that character.  
      May 8, 2019 2:07 PM MDT

Thank you for your reply. Happy Thursday.
      May 9, 2019 2:02 AM MDT

Maybe they were thinking Archie Bunker.

Though I guess there was a villain on the BBC soap EastEnders named Archie Mitchell.
      May 8, 2019 2:08 PM MDT

Gosh Walt I didn't even think of Archie Bunker! I think that is Cary Grant's real first name. Archibald may be a  British name but it just seems so antiquated. Like  Henry or Hubert or  Hortense or Gwendolyn or Gertrude or Hobart. Thank you for your reply.
      May 9, 2019 2:06 AM MDT

Is Archie going to be his official name? I thought it was short for Archibald.
      May 8, 2019 3:00 PM MDT

The news reports I heard then read called him ARCHIE. I'm pretty sure it's short for Archibald which is probably a family name of some distinction. But this is 2019 not 1919.  It's not a very dynamic or appealing name to me. I hope if they have a daughter she won't be a Hortense or Gertrude or Elspeth. Thank you for your reply Rev and Happy Thursday. I think Archie is Cary Grant's real first name. I'm gonna Google it! :)
      May 9, 2019 2:08 AM MDT