Active Now

Gino LOLobrigida
Discussion » Questions » Music » Can you post a more ridiculous song than this one? No, no you can not.

Can you post a more ridiculous song than this one? No, no you can not.

Posted - May 10, 2019

Responses

Stand By Your Man? That was a wonderful song and a big hit.  Not sure why you think it is ridiculous.  Has everything - a great melody, drama, emotion, a cathartic chorus.  A great popular record.  Plus a great message - men are just men after all, somewhat different from us and at times hard to understand.  Very popular when I was perhaps 11 or 12 years old. 
      May 12, 2019 9:12 AM MDT

• The message: 

« And he'll have good times, 

Doin' things that you don't understand

But if you love him you'll forgive him,

Even though he's hard to understand

And if you love him oh be proud of him,

'Cause after all he's just a man »

RIDICULOUS. 

May 12, 2019 9:38 AM MDT

This is the mentality of women in the 40's and 50's.  I was the exact opposite.  Thank GOD for the 60's.  I never stood by any man and I never expected any man to stand by me.  I don't mean support, I mean MY GUY NO MATTER WHAT.  That is SICK.  That is Mrs. Trump and Mrs. Pence. All STAND BY YOUR MAN means to me is denial and being an idiot who makes piss-poor choices about her lifemate and won't admit it.

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 12, 2019 9:55 AM MDT
      May 12, 2019 9:42 AM MDT

I always got something much different from it.  We stand by one another because it makes our lives easier when we share them with one another.  As well as makes us stronger.  All kinds of sharing.  And some things about who we are with we will not understand but we just accept even though we do not understand.  If we don't forgive others what can we expect for ourselves?

I would say you are looking at it more in the context of our having to depend on men for our support which was once very much true but less true now.  Many of us support ourselves very well but we still seek the emotional security of marriage and couplehood.   
      May 12, 2019 9:54 AM MDT

Of course you did.  Sigh.  
      May 12, 2019 9:55 AM MDT

Actually I quite liked that record.  And I have always been herd pressed to understand some things men do.  Even men I love, have loved.  Oh I try to come up with reasons to suit myself but who knows how accurate they are.  Any relationships require a lot of forgiveness. Just as they have to forgive me for doing things they don't understand.  But happily they are willing to at least lots of the time.  Which is lone reason I so love men. And I realize so much of the reason I do is just because they are men. So we have to take what is great with what is not so good.  Make the best of it.  And that is the way life is. 
      May 12, 2019 9:44 AM MDT

• Well I don’t agree, just saying « Oh you have to forgive some men for being assholes just cos that’s the way men are, oh well » is insulting to both men and women. Be the same as saying « oh it’s okay if a woman slashes her boyfriend’s  tires when she’s PMSing cos she’s just hormonal, that’s just the way woman are, OH WELL. 

Ridiculous. 

May 12, 2019 9:55 AM MDT

Well I would not classify people as "assholes" only because I can't understand certain of their behaviors.  Men and women are not entirely the same so we cannot expect them to be.  It comes down to I think - if we value them we  forgive.  If we don't care then that doesn't matter.  I know what kinds of things men say about us but part of that is how they bond with one another.  Which is not the same as bonding with us.  I just think in terms of - I have been forgiven either directly or tacitly so many times it would be so selfish of me to condemn another. Though I might not choose to be with them. 
      May 12, 2019 10:05 AM MDT

• « Though i might not choose to be with them » exactly my point, the song is saying stand by your man no matter what. That’s the message I think the song gives. I understand all music is open to interpretation from the listener. I don’t have a problem that you like the song and I don’t. Also, I’m not some crazy man hater who is upset by the song. I just think it’s ridiculous lol. 

May 12, 2019 10:18 AM MDT

I like to think I "stand by my man" which means to me I care for them and cook and clean for them and share myself and everything I have with them.  Which I have done really all my life.  Because I don't think we are meant to be alone.  Things my husband (my "man" now) can count on me for.  Such as entertaining his clients and family which you might think OK not so important but I want him to understand he can count on me - well maybe not in everything but certainly in a number of things. As many as I am able to and still be myself. 
      May 12, 2019 7:25 PM MDT

• I get that, I think we are just interpreting the song differently. That’s okay:)
      May 12, 2019 7:27 PM MDT