Lenina
Baba
Sharon where are the dead birds?
bevo
Discussion » Questions » Language » C'mon, besides learning how to order taquitos in Spanish, who here has REALLY learned to speak a language online?

C'mon, besides learning how to order taquitos in Spanish, who here has REALLY learned to speak a language online?

Posted - May 11

• 34907
    I don't do accents.  This is 'merica.  

May 11, 2019 11:05 PM MDT
    3

• 7134
    It depends on what you mean by "online." I tried to learn Arabic years ago using an app. I failed miserably and gave up.

However, I'm enrolled in college now and taking my classes online. My degree program requires that I take two years of a language. I may not have thought it through all that well before I started, but I selected sign language. It only took me one assignment before I realized I'd made a horrible mistake. How exactly do you learn a visual language without someone watching you and helping make sure you've got the hand shapes and motions right?!? Sure, we have to upload videos of ourselves signing at the end of each chapter, and the instructor does watch and provide feedback, but if you learn it wrong, you don't know until you're being graded, and then you never see that sign again. Ugh. Double ugh.

That said, I was able to find the most amazing tutor. We meet once per week via Skype. The first semester, I got a "B." The second semester, I got an "A." I'm nearly at a point where I feel confident enough to go to a Deaf meetup and sign in person with people. Nearly. I'm starting my third semester of ASL on Monday. *fingers crossed*

At this stage of the game, I could understand someone and make myself understood, but I'm not fluent. So, yes, it is possible to learn a language online. I may be cheating because I'm leaning it with the help of an online teacher and tutor though- not via an app or a program. Having that interaction makes all the difference in the world. 

May 12, 2019 12:18 AM MDT
    3

• 5557
    Not me personally, too lazy. But working in a college where we teach language, I am aware that several of our students have started off, and sometimes progressed well, by learning language online before they come to us. 
      May 12, 2019 1:32 AM MDT
    3

• 2465
    I haven't tried online learning but I had four years of Spanish and four years of German in high school and I still never really learned to speak either language.  

Fortunately, my hubby is more fluent in German and Spanish so he did all of the talking when we went to Germany for our honeymoon and he was able to help out a Spanish-speaking guest when she needed help with her English.
      May 12, 2019 3:10 AM MDT
    3

• 993
    i currently speak 2 languages... french is my main, and english as second.... I could learn a 3rd one , but i dont feel like so... I always prefer the mystery of not understanding someone speak a language rather than knowing all what they say...

For example, i was thinking of going to russia one day as a trip. I could learn russian but i feel like theres less fun in knowing all what the locals says. I prefer the mystery of not understanding what russians people speak.
      May 12, 2019 12:05 PM MDT
    1

• 333
    Interesting perspective.
      May 12, 2019 1:22 PM MDT
    0

• 22119
    i know spanish but i didnt learn it online, i just know it frorn being born in south arnerica
      May 12, 2019 3:32 PM MDT
    0