Discussion » Questions » Emotions » Has any art made you feel fear?

Has any art made you feel fear?

Posted - May 11, 2019

Responses

Sort of. A guy I dated was an artist. He had this one painting on his wall... it's hard to explain, but it was this creature falling between two cliffs, and the creature looked mostly human, but perhaps like a person wearing one of those vintage doctor masks with the long nose or beak on it. Honestly, the first time I saw it, I froze and got goosebumps, and then this wave of every possible bad emotion engulfed me. Like sheer terror and desperation rolled into one. I think I even cried. I couldn't explain it because there wasn't anything particularly scary about the painting. I just felt horrible every time I saw it.

I genuinely had trouble being in the room with that painting. I paused in front of it every time I passed it for months. It got me every time. Eventually, he caught me looking at it one day and asked if I liked it. I didn't want to offend him because I didn't know if it was one of his or not, so I just said that I couldn't stop looking at it. Then, he explained that he had painted it at a time when he was suicidal. So odd. It's like the painting literally captured the feeling. Like somehow it was emitting the emotions he felt while he was painting it. 
      May 11, 2019 11:48 PM MDT

May 12, 2019 12:02 AM MDT

No, not personally, but I imagine if it were of a very disturbing nature, for example where kids or animals were being hurt.. I would imagine that the person painting this had seen or done those things.. That would make me fearful. 
      May 12, 2019 1:26 AM MDT

If you call movies "art", just two.
      May 12, 2019 7:25 AM MDT

no
      May 12, 2019 3:30 PM MDT

Yes, many times.
      April 7, 2022 8:38 PM MDT

Yes, a quick glance and I look away.  I do not enjoy being afraid, I try to run from it. 
      April 8, 2022 6:04 PM MDT