Active Now

Echooos
Malizz
Swoop62
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Jobs » What's the difference between a nanotechnologist and a nanotechnology engineer? Or are they the same?

What's the difference between a nanotechnologist and a nanotechnology engineer? Or are they the same?

Posted - May 12, 2019

Responses

Nanotechnologist Job Description Nanotechnologists are responsible for performing research and work relating to structures at the atomic and subatomic levels. They may work in fields such as energy development, medicine and others in order to discover new applications for nanotechnology, and improve upon existing applications.

Now I have to go find the other one.....
      May 12, 2019 12:38 AM MDT

I Googled first and read dozens of descriptions. I was hoping for a nanoscience translator. lol
      May 12, 2019 12:40 AM MDT

All I know about nano is it is really small.  Like a nanosecond.  

I'm not your man for this one.

Nanotechnology is science, engineering, and technology conducted at the nanoscale, which is about 1 to 100 nanometers. Physicist Richard Feynman, the father of nanotechnology. Nanoscience and nanotechnology are the study and application of extremely small things and can be used across all the other science fields, such as chemistry, biology, physics, materials science, and engineering.
      May 12, 2019 12:40 AM MDT

no idea, never heard of it
      May 12, 2019 3:29 PM MDT

This is a trick to get us to look it up, isn’t it?  I’m not taking the bait unless I see sandwiches or tildes at the end of the tunnel. Nice try, lady. 

~

May 12, 2019 3:43 PM MDT

Ever hear of the "information bubble" or "filter bubble?" In short, it's created by Google and other search engines personalizing your search results based upon your previous searches and what you look at online. You and I can look up the same thing and get drastically different results; results that back up our current thought processes/ opinions. This in mind, it's entirely possible any search you run at this point will result in tildes, sandwiches, and nipples. lol 

But, no. I ran searches and couldn't sort out the difference on my own. For some reason, all I got was advertisements for shovels and lime. *shrugs*
      May 13, 2019 10:03 AM MDT

Nothing about coffee?  Wow, those algorithms sure are inaccurate.

:(
      May 13, 2019 6:52 PM MDT

• This sounds like a hard question and "nano" signifies "small" so I'm outta here.  Next query? 
      May 12, 2019 3:50 PM MDT

Haha. Welcome back regardless. 
      May 13, 2019 10:03 AM MDT

• I am not sure nanotechnologist is even a real word or frequently used.
    If it it is a used title I would assume the difference would be like the difference between a chemist and chemical   engineer. 
    One  is an expert in the mechanisms of action and does research into new systems and products.   The other specializes in applying  those discoveries in a practical engineering sense and how to scale up or scale down new discoveries  to be of a practical use for industry. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 13, 2019 6:55 PM MDT
      May 12, 2019 5:21 PM MDT

That makes sense. Thank you.

It is used. Here's one example: https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles/nanotechnologist 

That particular site doesn't have a profile on nanoengineering or nano engineer or nanotechnology engineer or nuthin'. It seemed like that's all I was getting. If a site discussed one, it didn't discuss the other, and there was so much overlap between the ones I did find that it was breaking my brain. But, I think you're right, especially the way you explained it. 
      May 13, 2019 10:06 AM MDT

• Oh I believe you.  I just said that to show my ignorance on it.  Nano tech is interesting to me and I follow it to a degree,  but it is so out of the realm of anything a hobbist or home gamer can delve into on their own that I don't pay as much attention to it as other things. I can tau around with it so I don't follow it as much as other disciplines.

Yet that is usually the basic difference between any ____ist/____ologist  and a ______ engineer.  One studies the methods and focuses on making new discoveries and the other applies them to industry and understands large scale systems of production and use.  Like in my chemistry example,  a chemist would  know how to make warfarin say,  but not so well versed in making giant automated industrial vats of it.  
      May 13, 2019 7:05 PM MDT