Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Recreation » What's a reasonable price for concert tickets or when do you personally max out?

What's a reasonable price for concert tickets or when do you personally max out?

There's a concert I want to see and the artist is charging $85 per ticket. I cannot justify that. D:

Posted - May 13, 2019

Responses

I do massages every day.  I cannot believe people pay $80 for fifty minutes.  I don't understand the cost of living, I guess.  Plus they have to tip.

That's about a hundred bucks for less than an hour.  

I get about one fifth of that.  Plus tip.  So, my point is, I don't know how much it costs to put on that concert.  I know the singer or band is not getting a major chunk.  And I loved concerts when I was younger, but I paid about ten bucks max for tickets to see people like the Doors and the Stones.   But back then in the 70's, ten bucks was like $85.  

May 13, 2019 10:00 AM MDT

Have you considered going out on your own with massage? It's crazy that they're scraping that much off the top. 

The artist in question is Chris Isaak and he's playing at Mesa Center for the arts. I'm pretty sure he's going to have a small ensemble with him, but he's going to clear a minimum of like $100,000+ in ticket sales when it sells out. Which it will. And, that's the base fees. The venue tacks on other fees on top of it that they'll keep. 

I'm going to guess (pure speculation) that he's touring with two or three other musicians who back him up and will, in all likelihood, have some kind of an opening band. The venue is only setting them back $4,000. I'm betting whoever opens for him is a no-name band that will be grateful just to share a stage and will only get like $10-20k. There's no way he's spending more than $10k to put it on, including labor, hotels, etc. So, that leaves him and his band with like $65,000 profit for one night in ticket sales alone, which I'm guessing will go mostly to him. But, let's say he's generous and spits it four ways. He's still making more than $16k by himself. For one night. And, that doesn't include merch sales. Ugh. 

Maybe my numbers are off, but tons of other well-known bands are charging half of what he is. 
      May 13, 2019 10:33 AM MDT

I wouldn't pay 85 for many people but I would consider doing it for Chris Isaak.  He is one of my very favorites.  That guy is so freaking RICH by now, he doesn't have to even get a salary any longer.  He should pay his fans to come see him.  LOL 

Seriously, the ONLY reason I do not go out on my own is because I am terrified that I will not have enough clientele.  I have to have people continuously who want a massage.   I have worked in spas now for only a few years to learn what would be needed for me to do just that and it is indeed daunting.  I would need a method of advertising that would allow a steady stream of clients, because NO one needs a massage forever and that is how the problem starts.  The better I am, the faster they don't need me any longer.  LOL 

But, there are those die-hards who come in for massages every month whether they hurt or not, and even then, it is iffy as to when and why they come around.  Some change spas for no reason.  I have to contend with a lot.  I have a lot of bills to pay and need at least 3 grand a month to even consider it.  I don't think I can swing that.  

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 13, 2019 2:20 PM MDT
      May 13, 2019 12:09 PM MDT

He's one of my favorites too. That's the dilemma. I just can't get myself to do it. His tickets went on sale the day after the ticketing agency wrapped up a $20 sale too. I would have bought for that price without hesitation. 

Realistically, you'd need 4/5 fewer clients than you need now. What does that work out to? Like one or two massages per day? If you ever go that route or even decide to dabble in your own as a side gig before going all-in, let me know. I can help you get set up with a site that will help attract business- at least get you the framework and teach you how to build it out right, so it ranks better in searches. 
      May 13, 2019 2:28 PM MDT

• That's a pretty small venue.
      May 13, 2019 12:15 PM MDT

It is, but it's not the smallest. That one's a little over 1,500. I just saw Violent Femmes at a place that holds 1,800 and those tickets were about $50. Saw Mighty Mighty Bosstones there not too long ago too. Last year, I caught Unlikely Candidates at a venue that held 300 and Steven Page (formerly of Barenaked Ladies) in a place that holds 500-ish. Saw Vic Ruggerio (the Slackers) in a place that tops out at 150. None of these people charged what Isaak is and many of them are, in my opinion, of equal fame. Offspring is playing at a 2,500 venue and isn't charging those prices either. Meh. 

Shoot. I've paid far less to be close enough to touch some of my faves while they were on stage and meet them after. 
      May 13, 2019 2:49 PM MDT

• I'll be honest, I wouldn't spend more than $75 per a ticket. That's it...

I recall spending $12 for Awerosmith ticketswhen I was a kid. They were from my neck of the woods. Unfortunately I was not old enought o remember when they would play High School dances up here. 

*sigh* I do confess to wanting to spend $90 for Tom Jones at Mohegan Sun but no one I was with wanted to go.  It was Tom Jones...Cmon!!!

May 13, 2019 10:52 AM MDT

Tom Jones?  I wouldn't pay 8 cents for that.  Do you throw your underwear at him when he sings?  
      May 13, 2019 12:12 PM MDT

• Tom Jones is a classic. I'd throw your underwear at him though and hope I didn't get arrested 
      May 13, 2019 1:01 PM MDT

I don't wear any.  I do wear bras, but I doubt if he would be thrilled to get them.  
      May 13, 2019 1:30 PM MDT

• He's getting a little long in the tooth so he probably would not notice.

I don't wear underwear OR a bra
       This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 13, 2019 2:08 PM MDT
      May 13, 2019 1:35 PM MDT

Don't get me wrong, he is a major talent, that guy.  But he was never my taste.  I would rather see Christina Agulara.  She might get my 85 bucks, but it probably costs more to see her.  I am not going to any concerts any time soon.  My ballroom days are over, baby.  
      May 13, 2019 1:38 PM MDT

Who would you spend $75 on? Anyone or a select few?
      May 13, 2019 2:50 PM MDT

• Truthfully, JA? No one...I'm so over giving these people my money.

I don't even go to the movies and choose to wait to flix come to Netflix or Amazon. 

I've had to be very tight with my cash for personal reasons
      May 13, 2019 3:49 PM MDT

• He"s had to be tight with his cash because I require a lot of upkeep.  Btw sweetie, about those new shoes I've been eyeballing...
      May 13, 2019 3:57 PM MDT

• I've sent a team of pros out with  list to shop. Jesus, you're a shoe diva

This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 13, 2019 4:09 PM MDT
      May 13, 2019 4:08 PM MDT

• I haven't gone to a major concert since the 80's.  Tickets were almost $30 then for floor/stage level.
      May 13, 2019 11:36 AM MDT

To me, that is when it started to get ridiculous.  Then 40 then 50 and then it was just a competition to see who could get the highest ticket price and if you dared to charge less, you were considered not that good.

I liked the Grateful Dead.  They liked to play for free.  LOL 
      May 13, 2019 12:14 PM MDT

• Scalpers also played a part in the inflation. 
      May 13, 2019 12:17 PM MDT

How could I forget the scalpers?  I can't get the pic to post, hang on..... (forever) ….

This post was edited by WM BARR . =ABSOLUTE TRASH at May 13, 2019 2:09 PM MDT
      May 13, 2019 1:33 PM MDT

They could pay me to attend.
      May 13, 2019 2:10 PM MDT

Hello JA
    It's been years since I have been to a 'concert'. I have been to some smaller local venues to see shows, the last concert I went to was in 2015. I spent alot of money for that, but it would include traveling to Vegas, the hotel for the weekend, food and entertainment, probably spent a grand . It was a very special concert for me, it was Rush on their last ever tour, R40, for the forty years they have toured and played together. I can say it was certainly worth the money.

May 13, 2019 2:46 PM MDT

Very cool. That, I can understand.
      May 13, 2019 2:51 PM MDT

It was a great show, they certainly went out on top. I have seen them.numorous times throughout the years and seeing their last show was the cherry on top.
    I do not think there is anyone alive that would draw me enough to do that again.
      May 13, 2019 3:02 PM MDT