Active Now

Chief Ten Beers
Discussion » Questions » Emotions » OMG! Do you remember when you were in grade 6 and you broke up with that Brian guy and listened to this song over and over??

OMG! Do you remember when you were in grade 6 and you broke up with that Brian guy and listened to this song over and over??

Posted - May 13, 2019

Responses

My comprehensive dating history in 6th grade: a girl breaking up with me although I didn't realize we were ever together.

Odds are I listened to the Ramones afterwards.

May 13, 2019 11:19 AM MDT

• You had much better taste in music in grade 6ish than I did. 
      May 13, 2019 11:21 AM MDT

Hey, if it helped you get over that scrud who spent more time on his lollipops and shoelaces, that's all that matters now!
      May 13, 2019 11:28 AM MDT

• Very true :)
      May 13, 2019 12:10 PM MDT

I saw them live in Chicago when they became famous in the 70's.  I loved Punk rock.
      May 14, 2019 4:16 AM MDT

• Shet, if I would have come out as gay back then I would have been beaten every day as soon as I showed up at school. :P
      May 13, 2019 11:32 AM MDT

• Meh:/ that sucks. Better now though, right?
      May 13, 2019 12:11 PM MDT

• It has been, but these days it weighs on my mind.
      May 13, 2019 12:13 PM MDT

• It would, yeah. 
      May 13, 2019 12:14 PM MDT

WAIT.  YOU are GAY?  Since when?  That doesn't fit your persona at all.  I didn't know there were gay rednecks.  Don't you guys kill yourselves because you hate gays?  
      May 14, 2019 4:19 AM MDT

• WHERE have YOU been? :P
      May 14, 2019 7:24 AM MDT

I'm sorry.  Do you know what sex I prefer?  How do I know?  I don't pay all that much attention to your personals.

You don't seem like the gay type.  LOL  I mean I just cannot see you watching Queer Eye for the Straight Guy.   I can see you watching Swamp People.  
      May 14, 2019 9:39 AM MDT

I did not have a boyfriend until I was 17  I lusted after them, but really did not know how to approach guys in high school.  I was shy with boys that way.  I hung with a lot of girls and they all had boyfriends and they wanted me to hook up but I could never do it.  Then I found drugs and alcohol and I became the most popular girl on the block.  
      May 13, 2019 11:48 AM MDT

• You didn’t have one of those grade school boyfriend‘s that you never really hung out with or talk to on the phone..but you were “boyfriend & girlfriend” Cos you checked “yes” in a note? 

May 13, 2019 12:12 PM MDT

Guys I went to school with never even noticed me until I became sexually active.  We had private school kids (of which I was one - there were several local private schools) and town kids who went to the public school. The town boys let me hang out with them first and put their arms around me.  By the early 70s most of the kids I knew were doing some kind of drugs. I just acted out more - cut classes, stayed out nights, was surly and withdrawn. I remember at one school the headmaster got up at assembly and told us he would expel any kids who were doing drugs.  Which would have been 90% of us. 
      May 14, 2019 7:17 AM MDT

Mine was Derek (I think). We met in summer school the year before I entered sixth grade and he entered seventh. (I went for fun. They had art and creative writing classes.) I realized it was over when I looked at my older brother's junior high yearbook after nearly a year of dating the guy and discovered my "boyfriend" was listed as one half of the "couple of the year."

Impressive. My terrible track record with men dates back to elementary school. Huh. The song was Mariah Carey's "Someday." Doubt he ever thought twice about me though. Just as well or I'd be working his family's cranberry marsh now. *shudders* 

Oh my. I have a daughter about that age now. :/ I'd better buy tissues in bulk. 
      May 13, 2019 2:17 PM MDT

• When you start hearing a sappy song playing over and over coming from her bedroom, you know it’s time to stock up :/ 

May 14, 2019 7:25 AM MDT

lol I told her about this question last night and warned her it was coming. She said, "But Mom, I don't even have a crush on anyone." I said, "That's because you're only in fifth grade. This happens in sixth. Just remember, whatever his name is, he's going to be a jerk and break your heart."

Now I'm not sure if I saved her the heartache or if I've ruined her for all relationships. Oops. I suppose the more likely outcome is that she chalked it up to her mother's usual nuttiness and disregarded it entirely. 
      May 14, 2019 1:49 PM MDT

• Most likely the latter. She’ll know you’re not nutty though soon enough...

May 14, 2019 4:22 PM MDT

• nope. i thought i was gay in middle school until realised i just liked older men 
      May 13, 2019 2:23 PM MDT

• Did you have a girlfriend then?
      May 14, 2019 7:26 AM MDT

• nope. i  wasnt actually into girls. i thought if i wasn't into all the white boys my age i must be into girls by default. 
      May 14, 2019 8:07 AM MDT

• All the “white“ boys?? Lol :)
      May 14, 2019 8:17 AM MDT

i never did that
      May 13, 2019 3:36 PM MDT