Active Now

Malizz
Discussion » Questions » Current Events and News » If abortion laws are about saving lives, why aren't discarded embryos in fertility clinics an issue?

If abortion laws are about saving lives, why aren't discarded embryos in fertility clinics an issue?

Posted - May 16, 2019

Responses

You can bet they are, JA, in the same circles. 
    These are the same folks who preach against stem cell research and, to a great detriment to all mankind, science  in general. 
      May 16, 2019 2:53 PM MDT

Many of them still believe the Earth is flat.
      May 16, 2019 7:12 PM MDT

:) By the thousands, Spunky.
      May 16, 2019 7:18 PM MDT

I might even say by the millions. :)
      May 16, 2019 7:38 PM MDT

They may be as a general thing, but they're not making any legislation against it. Wouldn't that be a more sensible place to start? Rather than target women, wouldn't they have more luck if they addressed embryos that are not in peoples' bodies? 
      May 17, 2019 9:24 AM MDT

It would make some sense to at least bring it into a conversation about legislation, but I don’t believe this is about that. Not now. Some of the narrative about the embryonic material includes ongoing scientific research, so it becomes less attractive to work through that additional baggage. Supporters of these laws want this done sooner rather than later. 

This is about a frontal assault on Roe v Wade, which a certain minority demographic has long held as an affront to their dubious beliefs, i.e., the tradition of subjugation of women’s issues and welfare to the dictate of (mostly old) men, via male-imposed paternalistic ideology. Look at where this legislation is popping up. Traditionally conservative, Bible Belt enclaves, where education lags and all things Jesus prevails. As is often the case, these two are found inversely proportional to each other. 

Given a legal foothold against Roe, it would then provide at least some precedent to move against the embryonic science in legislation. This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 17, 2019 5:22 PM MDT
      May 17, 2019 10:15 AM MDT

I don't know ... but it makes me wonder:  Doesn't it make sense for states that outlaw abortion to outlaw fertility clinics, as well?
    I mean, with all the new babies up for adoption, they don't need the fertility clinics anymore.  Those couples should adopt.
      May 16, 2019 3:12 PM MDT

Hi Walt~ :)!  You can't see me but I'm nodding.
    I agree.
    :) :)
      May 16, 2019 3:32 PM MDT

• For the same reason they're not when you're lying in bed and you remember the sex toy in your dresser drawer. :P
      May 16, 2019 3:15 PM MDT

Huge Giggles!!!
    :)!!!! :)!!!!
      May 16, 2019 3:33 PM MDT

Hi JA~ :)!  It's great to see you as always and thanks for having this site.
    I look forward to coming here every chance I get. :) :).
    I'm answering this because it was you who asked but with hesitation.
    REALLY like my friends here and this is one of those, "You may lose some of them if you answer," sort of questions.
    However, I feel brave and will share my thoughts on the matter.  
    In order to make a functioning mammal or human, you need a sperm and an egg.  I also believe it has to be able to function on Earth and able to house a spirit (or soul if you rather.)
    The question one might ask is when does the spirit enter the embryo?
    That, my dear JA, is always open to opinion.  I have read a book or two on this topic.
    Oddly, since it is Not a Proven Science, there is no fact.
    The books I have read, however, do agree that the soul/spirit does not just live in "the egg" or "the sperm."  The beauty of melding happens at a later date and well after they meet. 
    Thanks again for being here and thanks to all my friends, your friends, and friends-to-be.
    Love,
    Merlin
    :) :)

This post was edited by Merlin at May 17, 2019 9:25 AM MDT
      May 16, 2019 3:51 PM MDT

Hiya Merlin. Good to see you!!!

I have friends of just about every belief system- there's never a requirement to answer or to give a specific answer. I think we should all be critical thinkers, and that means hearing the opinions of others and reevaluating our own. 

That said, I do like your answer. :) I may convert it into a question. I was talking to a friend years ago who said the soul entered the body after birth- that's why babies cry. I was like, "No, babies cry because they flick their foot or something- they intentionally make the baby cry to get it to take its first breath and to verify health." I struggle to believe in the concept of a soul, perhaps because I don't believe in a god or afterlife. However, I do think there's something that makes us uniquely us, and I think whatever that may be is inherent; present during pregnancy. I knew who my children were long before they were born. Somewhere around the fourth or fifth month, I had at least one dream involving each one. The dreams conveyed their physical appearance and personality. Each dream was a little different, but I actually "met" my child as an adolescent in each one.  They were wholly accurate, down to hair color, eye color, gender, mannerisms, etc. I wonder if that's the time period in which you're referencing. My family actually gave me a lot of crap because I started referring to my second baby as "she" early on. "You can't know you're carrying a girl. What if it's a boy?" I knew. 
      May 17, 2019 9:40 AM MDT

Good Morning~ :)
    You bring up many valuable points that dig deeply into all sides of your original question.
    The answers sometimes aren't as clear as they may seem to us individually.  There are times when we need guidance and there are times when we need to strike out.  Other times there is a need for assurance.
    All of these combine to a struggle of independence and need for one another.
    Our friend Don Barzini focused on how the government "should" approach our personal choices.  This pertains to a huge part of all our lives and how we are forced to interact with the law and black and white.
    As Don pointed out, the black and white law system simply does not work because of individual beliefs.
    Because of Wakko's leading questions above, I was already thinking about the other angle of liability of human life. 
    This brings us back to your open-heart and willingness to take into consideration others' feelings and guides.
    There is no right or wrong answer.
    I, like you, have found a huge part of wisdom by experiencing life, and having an open mind.  Hopefully, we all absorb what we can, accept the parts that work for us and toss out the parts that don't.
    In doing so, we create a kaleidoscope of ideas where choices can be made.
    It's all in perception. 

I'm not sure if I am allowed to do this because it might be viewed as soliciting.  Please delete this part if it is. I would like to add for you, one of the books I read was "The Journey of Souls," by Dr. Micheal Newton. It might give another outlook to help through your journey on Earth.
    Also, I do not swear by this belief nor do I impose it on you as a way of life.  Just another possible reference book for an understanding of your already known knowledge.  Hugs and Loves, Always!  Merlin :) :)

This post was edited by Merlin at May 17, 2019 12:47 PM MDT
      May 17, 2019 12:33 PM MDT

rnaybe cause it already happened
      May 18, 2019 5:56 PM MDT