Malizz
Spunky
my2cents
Discussion » Questions » History » IMO, THE most pivotal moment in history was:

IMO, THE most pivotal moment in history was:

Please, elaborate as best you can

Posted - May 16, 2019

Responses

• When Trump won the presidency and dems' heads exploded, and are still exploding over 2 years later. :P
      May 16, 2019 6:46 PM MDT

Mighty limited view of history, but hey, to each his own. 
      May 16, 2019 7:05 PM MDT

Those may not be the only limits.
      May 16, 2019 7:18 PM MDT

• My memory isn't so far gone that I can't remember...a few minutes ago. :P  You clowns are a riot.  
      May 16, 2019 7:55 PM MDT

• EVERY day I see it right here!  Not just one, but multiple.
      May 16, 2019 7:50 PM MDT

So the discovery of fire, invention of the wheel, emergence of written language, mathematics, modern medicine, the rise of religions, the Fall of Rome, the Renaissance, Columbus, Copernicus, the Wright Bros, splitting the atom, and the aftermath of WWII all take a back seat to reaffirming your partisan biases. 

Thanks for the laugh.  Though not what you intended, I think. This post was edited by Don Barzini at May 16, 2019 10:08 PM MDT
      May 16, 2019 8:12 PM MDT

• Yep, it all takes back-seat to the lunacy I see every day here.  If you have sudden bursts of laughter you might want to get checked out for Pseudobulbar. :P
      May 16, 2019 8:17 PM MDT

I did ask for opinions, no worries. All views are welcome. 

I can accept that yours wasn’t very compelling, not all are pearls, after all. 
      May 16, 2019 8:31 PM MDT

• It's not that my replies aren't pearls to you, it's just that you can't be bothered with reason.  I'm beginning to believe your "yacht" is really your mom's basement. :P
      May 16, 2019 8:35 PM MDT

It’s that they’re not pearls at all. I was being kind. 

Considering the many other examples of juvenile, self-serving inanity you claim to believe,....
    Mr Trump, is that you? 
      May 16, 2019 8:51 PM MDT

• Yes, Hilliar, it's me.  I found your dumped emails.  AG Barr is combing through them right now, will get back with you. :P This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 16, 2019 9:00 PM MDT
      May 16, 2019 8:59 PM MDT

When Eisenhower was the supreme commander of the allied forces during WWII. The day before D-Day he spoke to the troops. I think it was the 82nd Airborne Division... less than a year later, May '45 the war was over. My Dad and I were talking about this and the invasion was costly but, successful. Men like Eisenhower no longer exist. 
      May 16, 2019 7:16 PM MDT

Great choice. Great man. 

During Desert Storm, we were led by a similar figure, Gen Norman Schwarzkopf. Though he had no political ambitions, this was a leader without peer in his time. The soldiers loved the guy, and we officers had supreme confidence in him. There are no words to articulate how fortunate we were to have him on our side. 
      May 16, 2019 7:28 PM MDT

I adored him and very well spoken. 
      May 16, 2019 7:34 PM MDT

He was a great General and modest to a fault.  After Desert Storm, you heard virtually nothing more about him and his forays into the political arena were minimal.  
      May 16, 2019 10:13 PM MDT

The end of WWII.  We assisted Europe in rebuilding, the world was for the most part at peace for a change, several dicators who suppressed their countrymen were eliminated paving the way for democracy, the economy was booming and there was a general lightheartedness and hope that it would always be so.  Unfortunately, over the years, dictators re-emerged, communism flourished, human rights in many countries became non-existent and we have had skirmishes, actions and wars to this day.
      May 16, 2019 7:22 PM MDT

Agreed. A significant turning point, particularly in the 20th century.

We talk about “the Greatest Generation”. Truer words were never spoken. 
      May 16, 2019 7:31 PM MDT

Yes, it was the Greatest Generation.  When called upon to help save the world, they stepped up to the plate.  It makes me wonder if we were in a similar situation today, would this generation do the same?  Maybe if they were allowed to bring their iPhones.  
      May 16, 2019 7:37 PM MDT

The silent generation. A generation I wish I was a part of. I'm a generation X. Which is strange for me. I fit into the silent generation with my work ethic and morals. The greatest generation was the backbone of our county. 
      May 16, 2019 7:39 PM MDT

The invention/creation of written language. Prior to that, there was no history. Just sayin'.
      May 16, 2019 7:52 PM MDT

I’m inclined to agree. In fact I’ve said as much on a similar question, either here or another site. 
    I can’t think of many things as important to our advancement in every field of endeavor as writing. 
      May 16, 2019 8:16 PM MDT

How many millennials  Don do you think can write in cursive? My thought is, is the actual art of writing on actual paper going away?
      May 16, 2019 8:36 PM MDT

Not enough, EJ. It is surely a dying art.  
      May 16, 2019 8:53 PM MDT

While not the most pivotal I'm sure, one thing that happened while I was here and paying attention that I 'm so glad I got to witness (from afar) was the tearing down of the Berlin Wall.  At the time I had foreign visitors in my house and we were all so so very happy about it.  Watching it on TV.....people just knocking it down piece by piece.  It was quite a moment in time.
      May 17, 2019 12:53 AM MDT