Discussion » Statements » Rosie's Corner » Tell me the conclusion you want and I will find you a poll, article and EXPERT supporting it. You can do the same dam* thing. WHY?

Tell me the conclusion you want and I will find you a poll, article and EXPERT supporting it. You can do the same dam* thing. WHY?

Posted - May 17, 2019

Responses

• Polls are an expensive proposition. Somewhere, someone needs to be satisfied or the polling service doesn't get paid. So where does the truth end and the speculation begin? With the raw data, with the myriad ways of asking the same question, with the spin placed on the results? Anthropologist Louis Leakey once said that he could give his benefactors what they wanted to hear, or he could work for a living. Polls can be tainted too easily. In 1948 Dewey was ahead in all the polls, but these polls were conducted by phone, which most Dewey supporters had. Truman supporters had none. Just in recent history, how often have polls been wrong for an abundance of reasons? As for the other sources, everyone has a position and opinion. They also possess something called wishful thinking. Not too scientific. This post was edited by Benedict Arnold at May 20, 2019 3:14 AM MDT
      May 17, 2019 12:16 PM MDT

Which makes finding and knowing absolutely what is true and what is not dam* near IMPOSSIBLE! Sigh. But the search continues. Thank you for your thoughtful reply SC and Happy Monday to thee! :)
      May 20, 2019 3:15 AM MDT

Polls and articles and experts can be interesting but this is the way I look at them:  I know they did not interview or survey me so how are they going to reflect my experience?   Which is usually much different than the conclusions they draw.  So I have to take them with more than a few grains of salt - especially when they try to tell me what my experience is or how I feel about something.  Thank you but I will go with my experience and that of people I know and have talked with. 
      May 20, 2019 4:53 AM MDT