Active Now

Malizz
Danilo_G
Discussion » Questions » Fashion » Does a person's physical appearance reflect their state of mind? When someone alters their total look, are they basically the same?

Does a person's physical appearance reflect their state of mind? When someone alters their total look, are they basically the same?

Al Sharpton

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigation Jump to search
Al Sharpton
2016 National Action Network King Day Breakfast (24485953015).jpg Born
Alfred Charles Sharpton Jr.

October 3, 1954 (age 64)
Education City University of New York, Brooklyn Occupation Baptist minister
Civil rights/social justice activist
Radio and television talk show host Years active 1969–present Political party Democratic Spouse(s) Marsha Tinsley[1]
Kathy Jordan
(m. 1980; separated 2004)

Alfred Charles Sharpton Jr.[2] (born October 3, 1954) is an American civil rights activist, Baptist minister, television/radio talk show host[3][4] and a former White House adviser for President Barack Obama.[5] In 2004, he was a candidate for the Democratic nomination for the U.S. presidential election. He hosts his own radio talk show, Keepin' It Real, and he makes regular guest appearances on cable news television. In 2011, he was named the host of MSNBC's PoliticsNation, a nightly talk show.[6] In 2015, the program was shifted to Sunday mornings.[7]

Sharpton's supporters praise "his ability and willingness to defy the power structure that is seen as the cause of their suffering"[8] and consider him "a man who is willing to tell it like it is."[8] Former Mayor of New York City Ed Koch, a one-time foe, said that Sharpton deserves the respect he enjoys among black Americans: "He is willing to go to jail for them, and he is there when they need him."[9] President Barack Obama said that Sharpton is "the voice of the voiceless and a champion for the downtrodden."[10] A 2013 Zogby Analytics poll found that one quarter of African Americans said that Sharpton speaks for them.[11]

His critics describe him as "a political radical who is to blame, in part, for the deterioration of race relations".[12] Sociologist Orlando Patterson has referred to him as a racial arsonist,[13] while liberal columnist Derrick Z. Jackson has called him the black equivalent of Richard Nixon and Pat Buchanan.[14] Sharpton sees much of the criticism as a sign of his effectiveness. "In many ways, what they consider criticism is complimenting my job," he said. "An activist's job is to make public civil rights issues until there can be a climate for change."[15]

Posted - May 19, 2019

Responses

A) Yes. Much can be determined from how a person presents themselves. Body language, choice of attire, grooming, the words they use. 

B) Depends on the person. I think we evolve to some extent inti what we make ourselves. 

Fair to guess you have a beef with Sharpton, Sharonna? 

Churchill once said, “You have enemies? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.”
      May 19, 2019 9:51 AM MDT

i still think theyre the sarne person
      May 19, 2019 9:58 AM MDT

The difference I see from the first photo to the third is that his head looks enormous compared to the rest of him.  I see him less as a civil rights activist than a fomenter of civil unrest.  He will never outlive the Tawana Brawley scandal. This post was edited by SpunkySenior at May 19, 2019 3:23 PM MDT
      May 19, 2019 10:29 AM MDT

I'm a retired makeup artist, and on a slightly different take of  your question, it's been shown that when a mentally ill woman asks for a comb or a lipstick, it means she's on her way to recovery.......

so it's kinda the same thing as what you are referring to, only on a way different level.......

also, when we 'dress up' for an event we do, I think, tend to act just a little differently; not radically different, but it gives you a different 'feel'.

on another note, during the filming of Gon with the Wind, producer Selznick insisted on those playing Scarlett and her sisters wear SILK pantalets.......Anne Rutherford, one of the cast, told him that cotton would be ok; she'd worn them in other costume pics & that no one would know the difference....he said 'yes, you would!!'  as daughters of a wealthy plantation owner, they'd have worn SILK and not cotton.......and he knew what he was talking about.......just knowing they were silk made even a slight difference in the way they did their roles.

so wow....I've turned your question almost upside down!  sorry!  LOL.....
      July 1, 2019 8:28 AM MDT